Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Clutch problem. Won't go into any gear!

Old 05-12-2008, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch problem. Won't go into any gear!

A couple days ago I noticed all of a sudden that it was really difficult to get my 88 4runner in reverse, or any other gear for that matter. It got worse over 2 days and today I started my truck and I couldn't get it into any gear.

When I start the truck with it already in gear it lurches forward so apparently it's not the clutch (right?) and my buddy said it's either the slave or master cylinder.

Does this sound like a slave/master cylinder problem?

Thanks for the help!
Old 05-12-2008, 07:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
have you checked your clutch fluid its by the brake master.. use brake fluid .. happened to me once..

also this sounded like when my clutch went im replacing it now!!
Old 05-12-2008, 07:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yes it does pop your hood and check your fluid in you master cly make sure its full if it is then have someone go under your rig on the pass side and look at the slave and see if it moves when you press the clutch down if does a lil but not all the way then try bleeding it a few times and see if that works if not then replace the slave and if still nothing then replace the master too autozone it baby i got both for under 60 bucks new and no cores and they had them in stock too if you still need help on it send me an e-mail as i did do this to my rig

oh and when you do replace them you have to brake them in at first my clutch pedal was all the way at the top but after a few hundrend miles shes right were she should be just a lil forsworn lol good luck hop-e it helps!!! oh and yeah been there done that it sucks i know
Old 05-12-2008, 07:25 PM

^^^^^^^ beat me too it lol
Old 05-12-2008, 09:46 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
lol
the previous poster knows mucho grande about the slave and master cylinders, im moderate on the subject.
But deff bleed the lines, if no bueno start with the slave, but most people say if the slave goes well so does the master.
Good luck, I got done not too long ago with the whole clutch job, first slave, then master, then figured it was about time for a clutch.
Cheers
Old 05-12-2008, 09:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
my moms truck kinda had the same problem wasn't the slave/master cly turns out the springs on the clutch failed and wasint fully disengaging it
Old 05-12-2008, 10:38 PM

id say the clutch is out same symptoms as in my truck before i replaced it. when it came out had 3 or 4 broken springs in it
Old 05-12-2008, 11:04 PM

Im willing to bet it is the plate that mounts the clutch pedal to the firewall... They are notorious for developing a crack over a time, then they just flex when you push the pedal down, instead of pushing the master cylinder piston. Poke your head up under the dash and inspect the plate. Mine did it, I ended up rebuilding the master and slave cylinders, and had my trans rebuilt before I realized the problem, I already had a new clutch at that point so I was running out of things to check, somehow decided to inspect the pedal and discovered the culpit. Pulled it out, which was a chore in itself (gotta drop the steering column mount), welded it up and reinforced it...Voila... Fixed...
Old 05-13-2008, 09:13 AM

I really don't think it's the clutch. It wasn't slipping one bit before hand.

Additionally, my roomate has an 86 4runner and we checked the pins on both when you push the clutch in and apparently mine doesn't move as much on the master or the slave...

Could be air in the lines... The nipple on the slave is stripped so I think it's been messed with before...
Old 05-13-2008, 09:15 AM

@ Morphias

I'll have to check after I get off work... The clutch pedal is really limp and I thought it might be something like that because it went out like THAT! One hour it works perfectly the next hour it started being super difficult and then that night it completely stopped.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:55 AM

my slave cyl just blew a couple days ago, that might be it, sounds the same.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:16 PM

yeah x2 on the bracket that holds the pedal on the truck they do crack easy check that and if thats ok then were talking spending 100 bucks on a new master and slave and you should be rolling again if that dont fix it then that 0.000000000000000000000000000001 percent chance that the pressur plate gave out but i dont think it did if you need any help on this you know how to reach me man!!!
Old 05-14-2008, 03:02 PM

No cracks... So I replaced the slave and master. The clutch pedal is not nearly as limp but i still can't get it into gear!?!?!

I have only gravity bled it though... I haven't done the 2 person pump bleed system...

Since the pedal now actually feels like a pedal do you think doing the 2 person bleed will fix her all up?
Old 05-14-2008, 03:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
no you need to do the clutch... this happened to me 2km in the bush a few weeks ago.. i have my clutch kit waiting to go in.... original 233 thousand kilmeteres on it!

buy a kit and with the aligment tool and buy por rent a tranny jack!
Old 05-14-2008, 03:12 PM

yeah, you need to bleed it exactly like the brakes using 2 people. Can you imagine what your brake would feel like if you only gravity bled them
Old 05-14-2008, 04:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you're going to do the gravity bleed way, you have to place some flexible tubing on the bleed screw and submerge the other end in a cup of brake fluid so that air does not re-enter the system.
I did a 78 toy truck that way- put the end of the tube into a can of brake fluid, loosened the bleed screw and then went into the cab and pressed on the clutch a few times to . you just have to be sure to not let the master cylinder suck air or you'll be doing it all over.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:07 PM

my slave cyl cost $14 not very expensive

my slave took a while to bleed and get right.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:18 PM

Thanks for all the help guys.

My roommate is going to help me 2 person bleed it here in a coupe hours.

Fingers crossed.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:22 AM

no you need to do the clutch... this happened to me 2km in the bush a few weeks ago.. i have my clutch kit waiting to go in.... original 233 thousand kilmeteres on it!

buy a kit and with the aligment tool and buy por rent a tranny jack!
Nope, it wasn't the clutch. You really shouldn't scare people like that... Haha.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

So great news.

The 2 person bleed worked perfectly. Must have been a master cylinder thing all along.

Thanks for all the help guys I really appreciate it!!!!
Old 05-15-2008, 07:27 AM
BAZ

Throwout bearing? This was the culprit in an old CRX of mine.

:EDIT: I see you've already resolved the issue. Way to go, disregard my last comment

Last edited by BAZ; 05-15-2008 at 07:31 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clutch problem. Won't go into any gear!