Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

clutch problem

Old 01-13-2008, 11:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
clutch problem

i read choopsters thread nice but heres my question. i start to drive every things good to go then after about 3 miles if i hold the clutch down like if im parking it goes to the floor and i cant shift gears but if i throw her in neutral and and pump the clutch its fine and a few times i heard a "pop" sound dont know what but it sounded as if it came from the slave i just rebuilt the motor and checked over everything alls good no bleeders are open nothing but fluid does just leak dont know where its going but after i pump it shes good for a little wile then the same thing she just started to do this and i live in the sticks so any help would be very very nice heres choopsters thread sorry if i misspelled your name buddy

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/c...d-help-133645/

Last edited by just a 22re; 01-13-2008 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01-13-2008, 01:44 PM

ok heres a update i just drove from bear creek to new london and back about 20 miles each way and now i have NO clutch what so ever unless i pump the heck out of it and i have a half a tank of fluid in her to so i dont get it i just got the slave and the master so im going to try the slave first then go to the master or do you guys think i should replace both at the same time???
Old 01-13-2008, 01:47 PM

ok question for ya: look on your driver floor, under the clutch pedal. is it wet? if so, your clutch hydraulic container(slave maybe?) took a dump. replace it. it sounds like you got a good leak, my clutch used to do that before i replaced it. if your gonna do both, then do both at the same time.
Old 01-13-2008, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would replace both if you already bought both of them. Also inspect the peices where the hardline and softline join together, and inspect the bracket that the master cylinder mounts to, it has a notorious reputation for breaking and bending. Bleed it really well and then try it again.
Old 01-13-2008, 01:50 PM

ok ozzie ill take a look after dinner but im going to be replacing them tonight so if you guys want i can take lots of pics and a video of it and post this up as like some kinda repair thingy but thanks man ill go look but as far as i know its dry but you never know right
Old 01-13-2008, 01:52 PM

well hears the thing palmer i have a clutch she works fine then after driving she stops and theres nothing pedal goes to floor and she wont disingauge at all but im going to take a video and lots of pics and show everyone i guess thanks everyone
Old 01-13-2008, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea if your peddle goes to the floor and stays there that signifies a leak in the system where pressure is escaping and sucking the peddle to the floor. So, in addition to replacing the MC and SC check the hardline and softline for any punctures to make sure your problem isnt somewhere there. What ozzie was saying about the MC i think is that you can check it to see if its leaking by pulling the rubber grommet back inside the cab where the plunger goes in, and if there is any fluid at all inside that portion of the chamber its bad because this means the fluid is leaking back past the piston. If the SC is bad you can sometimes pull the rubber off the pushrod and see fluid everywhere or you will see it leaking out of the bleeder valve or the line. Id just check all the connections in the fluid lines themselves to make sure that isnt your culprit either.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:41 PM

ok apalmer1 i owe you i just looked and well like i said there wasnt a leak BUT....i pushed in the pedal and what do you know it pissed out so i guess tonight when i can get in side the garage ill take the ms out and replace it i wish i could get a video cause its funny as all heavens you push it in and you hear this sound like a queff kinda lol then i looked more and yes there a little puddle there so thanks a million im going to just replace them both since i have them and only being 48 bucks for the two why not right so ill take pics and a video of this sound before i take it apart and show everyone in a new thread i guess thanks everyone
Old 01-13-2008, 06:48 PM

all right alls well here guys and girls thanks for all your help............. but when your working on a car and your wifes little sister is there throwing snow balls at you kick her a$$ out trust me she made me snap the hard line when i was all done with everything and man is it a pain to get that one off!!!!! but i would have been all done in about 30 minutes thanks toyota i love the layout but yeah no kids in the garage when your working on your truck so now i gotta go back to town and get a brake line that will fit and they even had the mc and the sc in stock what the heck anyways thanks again everyone for your help and fast replys