86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

clutch issue?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 07:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
clutch issue?

ill post it up again anyways haha, since i got a reply goin on ;-)

i start my truck, and it starts cold, takes forever for it to turn over right, its the first time it has ever started like this
i had it left in first gear when i try to pull it out of first gear it wont, i turn off the truck, put it in neutral and start it, i cant put it into any gears, i stop the truck, put it in reverse, start it cant shift out, but when i release the break it pulls and the truck backs up with the clutch all the way in, but i cant shift out of reverse, i have to turn it off, put it back into first, start it, get off the brake and let it jump forward (its not creeping either, its like its going at a high throttle but the engine doesnt rev different)
is this a clutch? or something else? i never heard of this and ive been searching
the clutch has been replaced, but idk how recently, i know within 6 years, but idk the average clutch life, any help
im too broke to take it to a shop, but im also too broke to guess n check
college life is not all its cracked up to be

Last edited by kylextrisler; 11-27-2007 at 07:36 PM.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:11 PM

sounds like the clutch. check your fluid resoiver. i know i butchered that spelling. maybe its low on fluid, maybe its leaking, not holding pressure. it sure sounds clutch related.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:28 PM

i dont see anything leaking thats the problem, maybe low on fluid from just burning up? idk but its def not leaking
Old 11-27-2007, 07:31 PM

check the fluid. was it acting up the day before, or did it suddenly come as a surprise one morning?
Old 11-27-2007, 07:36 PM

it came out of no where today, i didnt drive yesterday (monday) or all of today untill 8.pm (no work and my campus is a 5 min walk from my apt)
the fluid is fine, i checked the reservoir
i went back out and started it, it shifted out of first, not very smooth, and into reverse not smooth, then back into first smooth and back into reverse smooth?
idk
problems dont magically solve themselves so im still worried about it haha
Old 11-27-2007, 07:40 PM

you know, that kind of sounds like the problem i had with my 66 chevys 3 spd manual. in the winter time, after parking it for the night, i would have to put it in gear. if not, i had to fight the stick to shift. after that shift id go thru the gears a few times then let her warm up. maybe thats your problem, though why its just showing itself now im clueless. id have it checked out by a tranny shop. better safe than sorry
Old 11-27-2007, 07:44 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Toyotas dont have to "warm up" and they dont have straight cut gears like those old chevys.

As to the clutch problem, i would check one of three things:
Clutch master cylinder
Clutch slave cylinder
Clutch bracket assy

It has to be one of those things since it does it in any gear. Just had this problem in my MR2, turned out the Master cylinder had blown a seal and leaked all the fluid under down the firewall and under the carpet.

If you are not losing fluid, i would say almost 100% clutch pedal bracket. We sell every one we can get at the wrecking yard for that very reason. They crack near the welds, and pull away from the firewall when pressed, so you get no clutch pressure.

Where did you check for leaks BTW? Did you check INSIDE where the pedal connects? Thats where my MR2 and my 87 4runner blew the seals and leaked.

Last edited by DeathCougar; 11-27-2007 at 07:46 PM.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:45 PM

ya, ill def get it looked at, like i said its a truck they dont heal haha
idk why i even tried again, probably just cuz i was in a bad mood and felt like making my self even more mad? idk i can be weird, but when it started to shift thru it was fine
too frustrating, i wish it would decide if its broken or not, ive had this happen w/ my starter before, the starter would click like it was broke (or the solenoids were sticking) and then it eventually stopped, as weird as that sounds, it was over a year ago, no new starter and it starts fine
Old 11-27-2007, 07:49 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Once you get it moving, shifting becomes easier because of the syncros. You can actually shift the trans without using the clutch, if you match the engine RPM to the trans input shaft speed. I had to do that with my 87 about 45 miles home from seattle to where I lived. And I had to stop several times. Its a major PITA, and you have to learn where the shift points are, but it can be done.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:51 PM

not great for the engine or the transmission either. but hey you gotta do what u gotta do....