Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

clutch gone or shifter seat?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clutch gone or shifter seat?

ok i have a quick question. I have a 90 yota pickup 4x4 22re. When stopped with clutch all the way in its hard to put in first gear. I literally have to force it into gear. If im driving and before i come to a stop it goes into first no problem. The same goes for the reverse, but dont try to put it in reverse before i stop cause yeah not good. My question is do you think that it could be my clutch going out or possibly my shifter bushing/seat. Another thing while driving every little bump or while driving over 50mph in 5th my stick shakes like a mofo, making me lean towards my shifter bushing. Has anyone had this problem?
Old 09-20-2008, 12:08 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
your slave or master cylinder could be going out
Old 09-20-2008, 12:11 PM

if it was my slave or master cylinder wouldn't that affect all gears?
Old 09-20-2008, 12:20 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Could be true, but give this thread a read through if you want.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...linder-141511/
I was having a similar problem, i changed the slave and master first because they are cheaper and alot easier then the clutch itself
Old 09-20-2008, 12:33 PM

You are having totally different symptoms then i am having. My clutch goes in gear. And i have full pressure on clutch when i press it. But thanks though. Anybody else want to help me out?
Old 09-20-2008, 01:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Have a look. After 19 years, my shifter seat was fine- looked new.
Old 09-20-2008, 01:37 PM

sincal how does the shifter feel when in gear? Is there a lot of excessive play, like it feels like its in neutral when you are in a gear because it has so much play? That's how mine was and I didn't have the same problems going into gear, but I would miss a gear once in a while. I changed out the shifter seat and bushing, mine where totally destroyed after 20 years, and it made a world of difference and its cheap too. You can get the seat and bushing for under $10 at the dealer and see if it fixes your problem. I did have a problem going into gear like you did when I first put my motor back in and it turned out to be air in the clutch line, so if you have done anything to the clutch lately or possibly ran low on fluid might be the same thing!
Old 09-20-2008, 02:30 PM

88T4R-- I do have a lot of play, i just pulled out my shifter to take a look (couldn't hurt looking) and low and behold the bushing is completely shot. It was in a million pieces. So im going to replace that tomorrow, and see if that helps. As far as messing with the clutch i have yet to mess with it since i have had it, but maybe the PO did? I'm going to drain fluid and put new fluid in since i have the shifter out. Maybe that will help. Thanks for the input
Old 09-20-2008, 02:56 PM

yeah I changed my fluid too after seeing all those little pieces of the bushing I knew there had to be some in the fluid. I hope this fixes your problem, but changed this alone will make a world of difference driving .
Old 09-22-2008, 02:48 PM

Well i replaced both shifter seat and bushing to no eval. The problem is there. Granted my shifter is might tighter but still extremely hard to put in first or reverse. So im thinking im going to have to replace the clutch? How hard is this to do myself or with someone else to help?
Old 09-22-2008, 10:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Transmissions are heavy, best have someone there in case you get stuck in an awkward position. See if you can borrow a tranny jack, or floor jack tranny adapter.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:48 AM

Fluid

I use the correct GL4 in my manual 5 speed also. By the way , you know a good pickup mechanic in the area(Turlock) . I want to adjust my valves and i,ve never done it before . My yahoo ins mess is rgrk1013 also. Thanks
Old 09-25-2008, 09:08 AM

The valves are very easy to do, you should be able to do them on your own easily!
Old 09-25-2008, 10:20 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
so, what if your problem, like mine is, if i dont hold the shifter in first when starting from a dead standstill, my shifter pops out of first... well, less like pops, and more like rockets... when i first bought the truck, i didnt know about it and nearly broke my hand when it popped outta first...
any ideas??
Old 09-25-2008, 05:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
say it with me guys sing-crows ok i didnt spell it right but say it out loud and you'll get what i mean but then again thats what i think it is
Old 09-26-2008, 09:28 AM

yeah I have the same problem, I had my transmission rebuilt anong with the new clutch and engine and the clutch is a mile long. I drove someones toyota and their clutch was so nice, mine just feels light.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:56 AM

check the fluid in the cylinder.

is it super dirty? time to flush out the system? Air bubble?

my fluid was super dirty, replaced the fliud with some new clean stuff. made it feel better.

idk, might wanna try it
Old 10-28-2008, 11:32 AM

I also replaced my shifter seat. It made the shifter travel much more smoothly, and it goes into the forward gears, that was a fight before. I changed out the clutch/brake fluid, as it was very dark and a little low. that gave my clutch petal a much better feel and made forward shifting much better. But I too have trouble with reverse. I was told by someone that syncros don't really have anything to do with reverse( I don't know that to be a fact, just here say as far as I am concerned). Anyway I ordered the Marlin heavy duty clutch kit, and I am going to install it this weekend and maybe the rear main, sounds like everybody does this at the same time (like the water pump timing belt thing). I don't know if this will fix it, but I am running out of things to eliminate. Let me know if you have solved yours.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by trbizwiz
I also replaced my shifter seat. It made the shifter travel much more smoothly, and it goes into the forward gears, that was a fight before. I changed out the clutch/brake fluid, as it was very dark and a little low. that gave my clutch petal a much better feel and made forward shifting much better. But I too have trouble with reverse. I was told by someone that syncros don't really have anything to do with reverse( I don't know that to be a fact, just here say as far as I am concerned). Anyway I ordered the Marlin heavy duty clutch kit, and I am going to install it this weekend and maybe the rear main, sounds like everybody does this at the same time (like the water pump timing belt thing). I don't know if this will fix it, but I am running out of things to eliminate. Let me know if you have solved yours.
yes i have solved mine to be the clutch.. i replaced it and all is well now. The old clutch didnt look bad at all but the throw out bearing and pilot bearing were shot. I went ahead and replaced everything and all is great
Old 10-28-2008, 12:04 PM

Thanks for the followup. Did you happen to replace the rear main. how did you do that if so?
Another symptom I have that I hope is clutch related is low rpm/speed viberation. It seems to clear up at about 2600 or so. I am hoping it the throw out bearing

Quick Reply: clutch gone or shifter seat?