Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Cloud of Exhaust after start up

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cloud of Exhaust after start up

So this has bothered me to the point of doing something about it. I've got a 95 4runner auto 3.0 that I've had about a year. In the morning I let it warm up a minute before I take off and find theres a lot of exhaust after about 30 seconds from start up.

I really notice it at night when I come to a stop light and it catches up to me and billows past like a cloud. It smells fine and is a whitish color. I baby this truck and really only is driven a few miles at a time in town.

I think a tune up will be done soon to keep everything running smooth.

Also saturday I'm doing the airbox mod and giving it a good wash and wax. Anything else to check while the suns out? Thanks
Eric
Old 10-12-2007, 10:02 PM

might have to do with the oil. not sure but i think it does that when you put too much
Old 10-12-2007, 10:07 PM

Sorry to tell you that your going to have to do more than just a tune up...
Old 10-12-2007, 10:14 PM

It does have an oil leak but I am very carful when I fill it up and check it regularly.

Well whats it gonna need?
Old 10-12-2007, 10:24 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, my best advice for you:
If it still runs strong, and doesn't smoke too bad all the time, and if your problem doesn't affect your performance, you'll be fine......................

For now.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:34 PM

These words are not as encouraging as I was hoping.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:46 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
If it's white then it's water. So, it's either the headgasket or just build up of condensation in the exhaust after having sat long enough to cool down. The condensation smoke (steam, rather) should stop, though, after everything...motor and exhaust system...has gotten substantially warm enough to burn everything off. But, if it's the headgasket/s, it won't stop. You said it smells fine? Meaning it doesn't smell like coolant? Why don't you have a peak in the radiator or on the oil dipstick for contamination? Have you noticed any loss in power? And how long has this been happening? (I ask the last question because it IS getting colder and it's quite normal under the circumstance)

Last edited by thook; 10-12-2007 at 10:51 PM.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:48 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by fattirerider
These words are not as encouraging as I was hoping.
Sorry......if it makes ya feel better, I said you'd be fine.........................

for now
Old 10-12-2007, 11:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have a similar situation. but not really. I have an oil leak, but I only get a slight puff of white smoke thats very thin when I first start it, it stops after about a second. I don't know if it's always done that, but my friend pointed it out the other day, so if mine has to do with the same thing.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:28 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by traben27
I have a similar situation. but not really. I have an oil leak, but I only get a slight puff of white smoke thats very thin when I first start it, it stops after about a second. I don't know if it's always done that, but my friend pointed it out the other day, so if mine has to do with the same thing.
Well, I can tell you that it probably didn't do that when it was new...I dunno, sometimes if I park on a hill, I get some smoke out the tailpipe, too. I don't think much of it. It's just a fact of life, I've got almost 200K on my 4Runner. It runs fine, and that's what really counts.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by stormin94
Well, I can tell you that it probably didn't do that when it was new...I dunno, sometimes if I park on a hill, I get some smoke out the tailpipe, too. I don't think much of it. It's just a fact of life, I've got almost 200K on my 4Runner. It runs fine, and that's what really counts.
yep it doesnt bother me at all. especially since it doesnt seem to have a strong odor or anything. just one more of those quirks my 4runner has.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:38 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
White smoke...steam...it happens even with new cars...even if it's almost imperceptable. Just depends how efficient a vehicle is or, more often than not, enviromental conditions....like humidity and such.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by thook
White smoke...steam...it happens even with new cars...even if it's almost imperceptable. Just depends how efficient a vehicle is or, more often than not, enviromental conditions....like humidity and such.
good point. i just moved to utah from texas...waaay different humidity wise. i bet thats it.

sorry to hijack the thread by the way
Old 10-13-2007, 12:16 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by fattirerider
Also saturday I'm doing the airbox mod and giving it a good wash and wax. Anything else to check while the suns out? Thanks
Eric
Enjoy the sun while it's there. The North west's sunny days are numbered...Why do you have sun and California doesn't? I don't remember seeing anything in the paper about there being a cold day in hell...JK You just enjoy it while you got it. The weather in Northern California sucks for the time being, so I guess I can expect some sort of Seattle referances from the folks in So Cal.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:41 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by traben27
good point. i just moved to utah from texas...waaay different humidity wise. i bet thats it.

sorry to hijack the thread by the way
dude if i lived in Utah i wouldn't care if i a vehicle.

Louisiana= God's toilet
Old 10-13-2007, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by thook
If it's white then it's water. So, it's either the headgasket or just build up of condensation in the exhaust after having sat long enough to cool down. The condensation smoke (steam, rather) should stop, though, after everything...motor and exhaust system...has gotten substantially warm enough to burn everything off. But, if it's the headgasket/s, it won't stop. You said it smells fine? Meaning it doesn't smell like coolant? Why don't you have a peak in the radiator or on the oil dipstick for contamination? Have you noticed any loss in power? And how long has this been happening? (I ask the last question because it IS getting colder and it's quite normal under the circumstance)
Thanks for the reply! Yes this sounds correct about the condensation build up. I do notice more when its gotten colder thhis time of year and does stop after its warmed up. I'll check the oil and radiator today aswell.

This is the answer I was looking for, the others kept me tossing and turning last night.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:48 AM

im glad you hear you warm up your truck when its cold outside
Old 10-13-2007, 10:25 AM

White Smoke from Exhaust

I know its old school but if you were to have a HG leak and coolant in your system then the white vapor would smell really sweet , dead give away for vaporized coolant in exhaust .
If it goes away after warm-up and your oil is clear (not whitish from water) as well as coolant level staying normal and no oil traces in coolant then your just dealing with condensation and with the weather braking to winter that will be much more present with cooler temps
If your really paranoid about it then run a compression test , that will tell you

Last edited by n4ynu1010; 10-13-2007 at 10:26 AM.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by tortis
dude if i lived in Utah i wouldn't care if i a vehicle.

Louisiana= God's toilet
No, Louisiana= Man made toilet. God didn't make those levees, but he did however shi+ in and pi$$ed in it.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:22 PM

all of my cars or trucks I have had did an do this on cooler mornings and it was just condensation,
now I did have a mazda that had a bad piston ring or valve seal
and in the winter mornings after sitting all night oil leaked into the cylinder and the truck would burn oil for 10 minuets until it warmed up and when I say it burned oil you could not see the truck running in the front yard if there was no wind looked like the house was on fire.

is it cold where you are at?

Quick Reply: Cloud of Exhaust after start up