Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Old 02-09-2016, 10:20 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Clock and dome light question!!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Clock and dome light question!!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!

I have a 1st gen 89 4runner. I was replacing the power window motor a while ago, and my dome light stopped working in the middle of my repair. the truck sat a while when i went out of town (a couple months) and when i got back, i finished putting it back together. now, not only is the light out, the dash clock resets to 1:00 each time i shut off the truck. it's not a bad bulb, and all the fuses looked good to me.

I'm lost!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! is there another fuse box? are the 2 problems related anyway? maybe related to the window motor somehow? maybe a magic switch?

thanks in advance!!!!
Old 05-28-2007, 10:23 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
OMG! EVERYONE STOP WHAT THEY'RE DOING AND HELP DAVE FIX HIS LIGHT & CLOCK!!!

Dude, your title looked like someone was going to die if you didn't get help ASAP. I have leftover parts & oil pouring out of my engine after a rebuild & I didn't put PLEASE HELP in all caps on my post!!

I'm just giving you a hard time! Your clock is supposed to be wired to a non-switched circuit, and it sounds like you put in on a switched one. Probably related to the reason your dome light doesn't work now. Did you rewire anything while you were putting in the window motor?

Old 05-28-2007, 10:24 AM

sounds like your whole electrical system is resetting. check any wiring where you might have been near.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by TNRabbit
OMG! EVERYONE STOP WHAT THEY'RE DOING AND HELP DAVE FIX HIS LIGHT & CLOCK!!!

Dude, your title looked like someone was going to die if you didn't get help ASAP. I have leftover parts & oil pouring out of my engine after a rebuild & I didn't put PLEASE HELP in all caps on my post!!

I'm just giving you a hard time! Your clock is supposed to be wired to a non-switched circuit, and it sounds like you put in on a switched one. Probably related to the reason your dome light doesn't work now. Did you rewire anything while you were putting in the window motor?

maybe it should have read I'M A RETARD!!!!!!!!! it would be more accurate!

I looked a little closer and here's what i've got:
- no dome light
- no door buzzer
- the clock resets to 1:00 when you open and close the door

I didn't mess with anything except the power window switch, pw motor, and a fresh battery. i didn't touch any other wires. i checked the connections in the door; everything looked kosher.....
Old 05-28-2007, 04:47 PM

Maybe this will help, maybe not. Did you check your fuses with a ohm meter?
Old 05-28-2007, 06:27 PM

no, i will. there's just the one fuse box (under the hood), right?
Old 05-28-2007, 06:39 PM
Banned

nope...my clock and radio went out too(because i blew a fuse) and when i took it into the dealer for some work they fixed the clock and radio for me so im not 100% sure but i think there is a fuse box under the steering wheel compartment
Old 05-28-2007, 09:55 PM

yes, there is a fuse panel behind a panel to the left of your pedals

Last edited by notanymore; 05-28-2007 at 10:04 PM.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:19 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it sounds like maybe your electrical system is grounding out in a certain area, or a fuse has blown and it is messig with the whole system.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:31 PM

there's a fuse box under the left kick panel, my 87 was missing the cover so I looked up a pic. there's 3 rows of 3, left to right, top to bottom, row 1, 15, 15, 15, row 2, 15, 15, 15, row 3, 15, 7.5, 7.5. not sure if it's the same in v6 though.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:49 AM

no clock

I think those clocks have 3 wires, one is ground, one has power when the key is on, and the other has power alll the time, so the clock keeps time, but isn't lit up when the trucks not running.
Sounds like you don't have power on the one that is suppose to be on all the time causing the clock to reset whenever you shut the truck off.
On my 94' diagram,... it shows a Green / red stripe wire with battery + all the time.
However you are also having problems with the dome light, and it does not share the same fuse as the clock. (on the 94' anyway)
But the clock and domelight share the same ground wire,... a White / black stripe wire.
Maybe this will help. Since it was working before you messed with the door motor,...make sure you didn't leave a ground eyelet terminal off somewhere.
Maybe someone with a 89' manual can look at the diagram also.

Last edited by scrid; 07-30-2007 at 06:51 AM.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
you mentioned you put in a fresh battery. check your ground connections. if you're loose at the battery that could explain clock resetting.

usually the dome or interior fuse is on the inside of the vehicle, they leave it out when they ship the cars new so a door ajar doesn't kill the battery. check the fuse panel above driver's left knee area with a test light, turn the car on and touch the back of every fuse twice. if you got juice to one side of it but not the other side, you found your bad fuse.

good luck wit that
Old 07-30-2007, 08:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
is your little switch working properly that pusheh in whenever you shut the door? mine works half the time.. i usually just reach into the door jam and push it in and out a couple times and it will work a little longer..
Old 04-20-2009, 12:21 PM

I have an 89 and had the same issues...Replace your dome fuse in the fusebox at the driver's kick panel. It may look good but is it's probably blown. Save yourself a lot of headaches and replace the fuse first. If you still have the problem after replacing the dome fuse then start looking for bad connections and bad grounds.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:58 PM

if your light went out in the middle of your repair you obviously didn't unhook your battery like you are supposed to. i would bet you just blew a fuse, if not and you have to chase down electrical demons you will have learned to unhook your battery when doing electrical work from now on
Old 04-20-2009, 07:35 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think it should be in the fuse panel that is under the hood up by the battery. All the things that you mentioned run off the same circuit so fuse is the most likely problem.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:50 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
On the 1994 (and I believe it is the same on older trucks), the clock has four wires: ground, 12v all the time (keeps the time), 12v ign (turns on display when key is on), and 12v taillight (dims the display when you turn on the taillights).

Checking fuses is easy and should always be done first, but since your clock works some of the time it is obviously getting power from somewhere, so a fuse is not likely to be the problem.

On the '94, the 12v all-the-time power comes through the dome light fuse, on a blue-with-yellow wire.

What do you know? You have power to the clock (through the dome light fuse) when the door is closed. When you open the door (which connects a black-with-white wire to ground through the pin switch), the voltage to your clock drops far enough to reset the clock. Do I have it right so far? If your dome light (which doesn't work?) is shorted out, when you open the door the black/white wire is grounded, which pulls the dome light circuit to ground through the short, and your clock resets.

Take your dome light apart. Put a voltmeter on the power wire and make sure it stays at 12v whether the door is open or not. If it goes to a lower voltage when you open the door, there's your problem.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:45 AM

I know this is a few years back but to people with the same problem check the fuse my had corrosion, enough voltages to run the clock but when the door was opened boom clock went out
Old 04-11-2012, 10:16 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by scope103
On the 1994 (and I believe it is the same on older trucks), the clock has four wires: ground, 12v all the time (keeps the time), 12v ign (turns on display when key is on), and 12v taillight (dims the display when you turn on the taillights).

Checking fuses is easy and should always be done first, but since your clock works some of the time it is obviously getting power from somewhere, so a fuse is not likely to be the problem.

On the '94, the 12v all-the-time power comes through the dome light fuse, on a blue-with-yellow wire.

What do you know? You have power to the clock (through the dome light fuse) when the door is closed. When you open the door (which connects a black-with-white wire to ground through the pin switch), the voltage to your clock drops far enough to reset the clock. Do I have it right so far? If your dome light (which doesn't work?) is shorted out, when you open the door the black/white wire is grounded, which pulls the dome light circuit to ground through the short, and your clock resets.

Take your dome light apart. Put a voltmeter on the power wire and make sure it stays at 12v whether the door is open or not. If it goes to a lower voltage when you open the door, there's your problem.
Originally Posted by 1988TOYOTA4X4
... check the fuse my had corrosion, enough voltages to run the clock but when the door was opened boom clock went out
Do not discount a bad fuse, as there are parallel paths which might supply 12V to clock when switched on. Could there be +12V coming from connections to power door control circuit?
Do not overlook the simpler things, which are the easiest to check
If you have a guess, DO consult the FSM (link on my signature).
Here is a screen cap of dome light and clock schematic, showing power and ground circuits:
Name:  Schem_Dome_Clock.jpg
Views: 11175
Size:  90.1 KB

Here is location of the fuse block:
Name:  001A_Mod_Area_0001.jpg
Views: 13749
Size:  103.8 KB

Here is list of fuses:
Name:  004B_Fuse_List_Cover_0001.jpg
Views: 4375
Size:  94.3 KB
Old 04-09-2015, 10:16 AM

^^^^ Yeah, 7.5 amp fuse is blown for the dome light. Happened to me today . Thank you!

Quick Reply: Clock and dome light question!!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!