86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Clear Taillights

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clear Taillights

Can anyone point me in the direction to clear taillight covers for my truck? I've seen them on several trucks, and eBay used to have them, but not anymore. They are exactly like the stock ones, just no color (so you need to run colored bulbs).

Thank you!
Old 04-06-2010, 09:17 PM
ET

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
check out neondials on ebay. they might have some.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:50 PM

gross
Old 04-09-2010, 02:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You do realize, of course, that clear tail light lenses make your rear signals LESS VISIBLE during the day, right???
Old 04-09-2010, 02:50 PM

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
and they are illegal in CA
Old 04-09-2010, 03:05 PM

ebay would be my only guess honestly, that or try searching around some ricer sites (sorry I don't know of any off the top of my head).

... and I don't see where he asked opinions on them(which I personally agree with so far) or if they are legal anywhere. Just an observation
Old 04-09-2010, 03:18 PM

They are only illegal in california if you do not use colored bulbs. I have a pair on my 3rd gen 4runner and not one problem from the police. I run leds in all of the sockets so that they are really bright.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by oddjob1370
They are only illegal in california if you do not use colored bulbs. I have a pair on my 3rd gen 4runner and not one problem from the police. I run leds in all of the sockets so that they are really bright.
Yup. The plan is to run colored LED's.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:49 AM
Contributing Member

I think the question of legality is regarding the reflectors that are on the back of the vehicle. There are supposed to be red reflectors for safety when the lights are not on and oncoming lights hit it. I was considering these but trying to somehow make the brake lights red (not with bulbs because they aren't bright enough for me)...
Old 04-10-2010, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by jskijoe
I think the question of legality is regarding the reflectors that are on the back of the vehicle. There are supposed to be red reflectors for safety when the lights are not on and oncoming lights hit it. I was considering these but trying to somehow make the brake lights red (not with bulbs because they aren't bright enough for me)...
Well here are taillights like that for 2nd gen trucks and 1st gen Runners. (Link good for 16 days.)

My other idea would to grab just the completely clear lense cover off of some altezzas like these.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:03 AM

unless you get the clear or smoked ones off ebay that are the complete light, ie: led panel behind some clear or smoked lens, whatever you get will look like ass. all the clear lenses i've seen turn frosty and look bad real quick and even ricers don't run them anymore. sure you can spend a fortune on the new fangled 1157 clear led bulbs that light up red but they will still look like a crappy little red dot in the middle of a crappy frosty lens. no matter what you try to do to the clear lenses you get will make you look like a pwt hillbilly ricer wanna be. you have a first gen so..... the complete lights are not avail for your truck, i've only seen them for 3rd and 4th gens, never even checked for 2nd but have looked for 1st when i had mine. your best bet? leave it stock or lightly smoke them with some vht or window tint. or try to find some of the canadian/european ones off ebay. you also have the "alteza" options with different shades of the lens as well as different back ground colors but i'd stay away from that too.... unless maybe you can get one with a black back ground and a light smoke? dont know....i'd stay with stock. my two cents.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by michalik_piotr
unless you get the clear or smoked ones off ebay that are the complete light, ie: led panel behind some clear or smoked lens, whatever you get will look like ass. all the clear lenses i've seen turn frosty and look bad real quick and even ricers don't run them anymore. sure you can spend a fortune on the new fangled 1157 clear led bulbs that light up red but they will still look like a crappy little red dot in the middle of a crappy frosty lens. no matter what you try to do to the clear lenses you get will make you look like a pwt hillbilly ricer wanna be. you have a first gen so..... the complete lights are not avail for your truck, i've only seen them for 3rd and 4th gens, never even checked for 2nd but have looked for 1st when i had mine. your best bet? leave it stock or lightly smoke them with some vht or window tint. or try to find some of the canadian/european ones off ebay. you also have the "alteza" options with different shades of the lens as well as different back ground colors but i'd stay away from that too.... unless maybe you can get one with a black back ground and a light smoke? dont know....i'd stay with stock. my two cents.
actually, you have a good point about the led's just making a little dot. i'd enver thought about that. ive looked at the altezzas off and on. i know malteserunner has them and ive seen them in person. ones foggy and the other isnt, but i dont see why you cant just pop the lense cover off and wipe away the moisture. i know the stock lenses come off the housing, i dont know why the altezza covers wouldnlt come off for a clean.