Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Clear Tail Light Covers

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clear Tail Light Covers

I'm looking for completely clear tail light covers for my 88 4Runner. eBay used to have them, and still do for the 3rd gen truck, but not for 84-88; they only have half clear that still have the red.

If anyone knows where to find them or can help me in doing so, I'd greatly appreciate it! Thanks!
Old 08-20-2010, 09:46 PM
Contributing Member

I ran those on my old minitruck back in the day. The cops up here LOVE to pull people over for those lenses. As a matter of fact, I just saw a kid get busted the other day for them. I'd recommend at least some red on the lens.

Also, 84-88 Pickup taillights don't fit the 4Runners, just so you know.

Last edited by malteserunner; 08-20-2010 at 09:47 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:50 PM

Hmm, really? Even if I have properly colored bulbs? That's a bummer What I'd prefer even more is completely clear lenses like the ones that come on your lights, but those only come with those lights. I would get the ones with at least the red, but it's not worth it to me to spend the money just to get rid of the yellow alone.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:00 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, it's not the light color they get you for, it's the color of the reflector. When you're parked on the side of the road, at night with the lights off, the rear of your vehicle should reflect red so other drivers aren't confused. Ever notice the reflectors on city streets are red, if you are traveling in the wrong direction?
Old 08-20-2010, 10:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
id run these
Old 08-20-2010, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by malteserunner
Yeah, it's not the light color they get you for, it's the color of the reflector. When you're parked on the side of the road, at night with the lights off, the rear of your vehicle should reflect red so other drivers aren't confused. Ever notice the reflectors on city streets are red, if you are traveling in the wrong direction?
Yeah, I recall being told that before, now that you mention it. I think I'd still do it anyways though. Lol.

I don't think I've noticed those reflectors, I'm usually going the right direction. Haha.

In all seriousness though, if the red reflectors tell you are going the wrong way, then wouldn't that cause confusion as you drive down the road in the right direction and see red reflection from cars parked in the road?

Last edited by B4Runner; 08-20-2010 at 10:14 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:16 PM
Contributing Member

That's true, but if you can't tell the difference between taillights and reflectors on the ground, should you really be driving??

Also, YOU would probably get away with the clear lenses anyway. You've got connections, right??
Old 08-20-2010, 10:17 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by B4Runner
Hmm, really? Even if I have properly colored bulbs? That's a bummer What I'd prefer even more is completely clear lenses like the ones that come on your lights, but those only come with those lights. I would get the ones with at least the red, but it's not worth it to me to spend the money just to get rid of the yellow alone.
Yep, as far as I know from a couple years ago... THEY ARE illegal. A buddy of mine on a trip got pulled over at night and the cop REALLY gave him a hard time... Then a ticket, ...then, told him, "Where you think you're going? You can't drive with those, son! PERIOD!" I pried out of him that his partner with a Motorcycle with the clears and blue lights?(a hog).. got rear ended at 75 and died instantly, ...and he was NOT letting him drive on the freeway. This was at Red Rock Canyon... so we had to camp there that night and drive back to Santa Clarita for lenses in the morning. GRRRRRR, lol.

Originally Posted by Elton
id run these
Hey, Can I get them's without the frame?(just the covers?) You know, like 24$ for the pair type deal? They're like 69$ with the frame, each, right?

I've seen ALL the factory knock offs... I'd rather get them OEM if I could... but those are nice.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-20-2010 at 10:19 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:21 PM

That's true, but if you can't tell the difference between taillights and reflectors on the ground, should you really be driving??

Also, YOU would probably get away with the clear lenses anyway. You've got connections, right??
Lol. When you mentioned about the red reflectors indicating you're going the wrong direction, I just thought it contradictory that it would be illegal not to have the red reflectors on a vehicle for the same reason. Hmm...

And yeah, almost all the CHP would recognize my name when the run my tags, if they don't already leave my be because they know my truck. There is a a new old CHP that's back in town though. Apparently, as my mom puts it, he would give God a ticket. He even admitted, he hates everyone.

Last edited by B4Runner; 08-20-2010 at 10:22 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:26 PM
Contributing Member

let me look around might find something
Old 08-20-2010, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Yep, as far as I know from a couple years ago... THEY ARE illegal. A buddy of mine on a trip got pulled over at night and the cop REALLY gave him a hard time... Then a ticket, ...then, told him, "Where you think you're going? You can't drive with those, son! PERIOD!" I pried out of him that his partner with a Motorcycle with the clears and blue lights?(a hog).. got rear ended at 75 and died instantly, ...and he was NOT letting him drive on the freeway. This was at Red Rock Canyon... so we had to camp there that night and drive back to Santa Clarita for lenses in the morning. GRRRRRR, lol.
Hmm, and again, this doesn't quite make sense. I can't see how someone wouldn't be able to see the car. If you're on a motorcycle, let alone just a normal vehicle, and can't see a car in front of you, reflectors or not, you shouldn't be on the road. And at night, even though you don't have red reflectors, you have red running lights, at least, which are more visible than reflectors since you can only see reflectors depending on how well your lights are hitting them.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:28 PM
Contributing Member

Apparently, as my mom puts it, he would give God a ticket.
Blasphemy!!
Old 08-20-2010, 10:33 PM
Contributing Member

cant find nothing but the ones i linked are like 80 bucks for the set
Old 08-20-2010, 10:33 PM

Blasphemy!!
This is the CHP that caused an accident between himself and a Sheriff right near the BL court house several years back, if you remember anything about that.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:41 PM

There are exactly what I want, but I could only find them for the 3rd gen trucks.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:37 AM

Hmm, and again, this doesn't quite make sense. I can't see how someone wouldn't be able to see the car. If you're on a motorcycle, let alone just a normal vehicle, and can't see a car in front of you, reflectors or not, you shouldn't be on the road. And at night, even though you don't have red reflectors, you have red running lights, at least, which are more visible than reflectors since you can only see reflectors depending on how well your lights are hitting them.
I asked him that, actually.... He said that they found that his brake light lit up but not his parking lights. So, when he pulled over to check something, his foot and hand off the brake, there was no reflector, Blue-light, nothing. Also, when people get tired, or sometimes just out of reaction, they lean toward dim lights because they think they're in line with the highway a bit ahead(something like that). Anyway, the guy ended up being nice and checking out our trucks, but basically said "I'm doing this for you, young man, and the other people who might become involved"... ... Must have been very fresh to him or something.

The CHP along the 14Hwy and Grapevine(5FRWY heading north) are VERY ticket happy. Even the Valencia area... I got pulled over for doing 67 in a 65! lol. I had to show up and fight it, .....I won! lol.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:46 AM

B4, how far do you explore out of Ahwanee? I hit every spot along the 395, 178, up over Upper Pepperment and through the pass from Sequoias to the Sierra Hwy, ... Convict, etc, etc. You ever go to Kehough Hot Springs or Fish the Owens River on that side? LOVE Bass Lake, ....Think I've been to that Hotel of yours when I was younger! lol.

BEAUTIFUL country, Buddy.... that's why I LOVE Cali! ...IN SPITE of it's screwed up leadership, high taxes and so on, and so on, and so on....! hahaha.