YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > 86-95 Trucks & 4Runners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-30-2007, 05:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

Cleaning EGR Valve?

I just picked up a 86 4runner with a 22re it it and I'm having some problems trying to pass California Smog. Luckily it's was a no pass, no pay place. The guy who works there told me that he checked my EGR valve with a vacuum pump and that it's clogged. My question is how can I clean the EGR valve? Thanks

Patrick
86 4runner
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-30-2007, 06:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

Well, I think the best way would be to clean it on a bench(or a parts washer if your fancied up like that) with some solvent. I've heard throttle body/carb cleaner works, anything that doesn't leave a residue. Maybe brake cleaner, or what I use for all-purpose solvent, mineral spirits. I'm not sure how you'd clean it without removing it, might be doable.
We're sorry, theYOTATECH member you have reached is temporarily out of order or is no longer in service. Please feel free to ask our many other highly informed members about your problem. Or try using the search feature to find the appropriate information by yourself, and solve the issue on your own. Thank you for choosingYOTATECH. Good bye.

I'm Cuckoo For YOTA Trucks!

Last edited by MudHippy; 05-30-2007 at 06:14 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-31-2007, 08:00 AM   #3 (permalink)

Cleaning an EGR is pretty easy. The hard part is getting it out. You don't need a wash tank or anything fancy. Bench cleaning will do the job.

You will need -

1. Carb/Throttle body cleaner, two or three cans.
2. Replacement gaskets for the EGR pipe and the EGR valve.
3. A few feet of vacuum hose

Use carb/throttle body cleaner. It won't damage anything. Buy a few feet of vacuum hose if you don't have some laying around. You will need to apply some partial vacuum to the valve, once you get the worst of the gick out. To completely clean the valve you need to clean it while activating it.

Soak the hell out of the inside passages. Wait a few moments, then blast away the gick that has loosened up. Don't skimp on the cleaner, that's why you bought extra. Once the valve is looking pretty clean inside, soak it down again and apply some vacuum. I fabbed up a vacuum pump out of PVC pipe and pipe washers. I used the plans at

http://www.sci-toys.com/scitoys/scitoys/aero/vacuum/

Your mouth can pull plenty of vacuum to activate the valve, but I don't recommend it. Be careful with the pump. It pulls WAY more vacuum than you need. You can pop the valve if you aren't careful. Your mouth can't pop the valve... the pump can. Make your own call. With a stuck valve it might be a good idea to be very very careful.

You can hear the valve activate when you apply vacuum, once it unsticks. Keep blasting with cleaner and activating the valve until it moves freely.

Re-install the EGR per the FSM. Make sure to use new gaskets and torque everything down to spec.

Last edited by funjumper; 05-31-2007 at 08:02 AM.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:00 AM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2002, 22re, 4runner, brake, clean, cleaner, cleaners, cleaning, egr, it, removing, suv, toyota, valve, work, works