Hope someone can help me.
My old faithful 2wd 89 2.4 carb hilux with 520,000 kms on the clock has never let me down, usually stands for 3+ months at a time between use was dead the other day
First I though I must have left a light on etc, it was only used 2-3 weeks before and did a long run of around 600 kms.
Battery has always been good, charge has been good. So I jump started it, drove it to the house, charged battery overnight etc.
In the morning I notice the charge indicator on battery is not green, truck started ok, battery voltage when running was about 12.7 (so not bad, but a little low), as rpm rose it rose a little, still under 13v
Anyway while revving engine from carb noticed the choke heater was hot. thought OK, probably as car running for 10 mins, outside temp was 34 degrees Celsius or 93 in the old money) so a warm day could be normal.
Ayway 3 hours after this, carb had cooled down, choke heater was just as hot.
Ignition IS OFF at this point.
So basically the carb / choke heater is always receiving power even when ignition is off. I know the fuel solenoid is not receiving power with ignition off.
Questions are :-
- Does anyone know the answer ?
- What does the other end of this red power wire connect to
- Is it controlled by some temp sensor somewhere ?
- I cant find it on any electrical diagrams I can find, does anyone have one that shows this
I am quite good with auto electrics, but without a good manual I am working blind
I read on a couple of choke related threads this comes from the alternator. Is it possible my alternator is faulty and is shorting this wire to positive ?
Hope someone can help, thanks in advance
Andy (Melbourne Australia)