Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Chinese flywheel from Marlin Crawler

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chinese flywheel from Marlin Crawler

So I order this clutch kit from marlin crawler and I figure my clutch has not been done for 190000 miles so I might as well order a new flywheel too. Anyway a couple days later 420$ lighter I receive 1 heavy box (with ALL of the components in it). I open it up and I see the heavy flywheel laying on top of the the new pressure plate where it has scratched the side of it (luckily no damage to the friction surface) I also find the pilot bearing out in the open where it is free to bash around and collect dust. To top it off the friction pad is half way out of it's box and UNDERNEATH the pressure plate which was underneath the flywheel (we're talking about 40-50 lbs). However it too does not seems to be noticeably damaged. I begin to inspect the other parts and I notice the pilot bearing is a little rough and lacking grease (spins somewhat freely) I give them a call and they agree to send me a new one.

After that I decide to keeping checking all the parts (I ordered a new transmission mount and heavy duty seat) then I come across the flywheel which is in some crappy cardboard and plastic wrap. I open it up and it seems mostly ok but on the back side I see in huge letters "MADE IN CHINA." I sit there thinking huh... I thought marlin crawler only sold quality parts. So I give them the benefit of the doubt (despite the terrible packaging) and do some digging. Turns out its some German company called Luk who had begun to outsource to China I also found out that it's a 40$ part (I paid 99$ for mine) so at this point I'm kind of pissed off and I give them another call and ask them what's up with the extra 60$. I talk to this guy named Lee and he starts giving me this bull crap story about how good of quality these flywheels are and how they didn't know that they were being manufactured in china. He has no explanation as to why it is 60$ more than what I could have gotten this part. I can understand paying a little extra for a reputable company but 60$ extra for a Chinese part is crap. So I ask him if I can return this part to which he tells me there is a 20% restocking fee which makes it completely not worth it so argue with him for a while and he says he'll talk to his manager and he gets back to me. He comes back with a 10% restocking fee (which is still not worth it after shipping is accounted for) I tell him I'll think about it and in the mean time I ask him to see if he has any non-Chinese made flywheels in his warehouse that we could swap for the Chinese one. He agrees and I hang up. Later I take another look at the pilot bearing and come to find out it is another Chinese piece of crap. Anyway about 3 days later I receive my new pilot bearing and it feels just as crap as the last pilot bearing (it feels like there is fine dirt in it and it rolls somewhat smoothly as if there is very little grease in it. Also our friend Lee has not gotten back to me about the non-Chinese flywheels. So I give him another call and he has pretty much completely forgotten about checking for a non-Chinese flywheel, so he puts me on hold for a few seconds (as if to simulate checking) and comes back and tells me he has none so I tell him this is the last time I am doing business with them and he tries to tell me they are the best quality everything, almost as if he's covering for something and I hang up.

Which is really unfortunate because I had planned to buy a transmission from them. But I'm not going to buy an overpriced transmission if it possibly has Chinese quality parts in it. One more thing before I end this rant, I did a bunch of shopping around for all the other parts I got from them and I figured I could have saved about 150$ if I hadn't purchased from them. So buyers beware you might be getting Chinese parts, ripped off and your parts may be poorly packaged if you buy from Marlin Crawler.

87 Toyota Pickup SR5 22RE

Last edited by Terrys87; 01-26-2016 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Language
Old 01-26-2016, 09:42 AM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Vallone1990
... I see in huge letters "MADE IN CHINA." I sit there thinking huh... I thought marlin crawler only sold quality parts. ...
From about 1935 to about 1965, the phrase "made in Japan" was used to describe something that was flimsy and poorly made. And here we are, spending all this money and time to maintain and keep a 29 YEAR OLD truck -- which was made in Japan.

It's a global economy. Yes, you can still buy cheaply made anything, and some of it is made in China. But a lot of Chinese-manufactured parts are strictly top-notch. If there's something wrong with the part (other than the label) I'm sure Marlin will make it good. But if your complaint is that you should have done a better job price-shopping, well, that's not their problem.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:44 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Sorry you had such bad luck.

If you every worked freight like I did it amazes me anything gets any where intact.

Has Luk moved ?? Last I knew they were in South Africa ??

Thank the corporate taxes Some people think a profit is a bad thing.

Made in China parts are showing up every where Miller Lincoln. Not a Day goes by more and more is out sourced to China

Should be interesting now that their economy has tanked

All kinds of parts no longer to be had.

Because no one wants to pay the prices.
For American parts

These lower priced parts did you buy them ?? Have them in your hand??

I have never had problems with Marlin .

What is great is if you don`t like them you can complain all you want and chose to no longer purchase their parts.

Best of luck
Old 01-26-2016, 10:17 AM

Received 599 Likes on 439 Posts
I don't care if Chinese parts are as good as any others, I still won't buy them.

They are slave labor goods, many times using substandard materials.

Why take a chance?? Cheap goods are often truly cheap.

I don't have any objections to imported goods in general, so long as the workers in that country have a high standard of living.

Foreign workers have a right to a decent living, just as American workers do.

Labor creates all wealth.

Last edited by millball; 01-26-2016 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I used to frown when I seen parts from China or Taiwan. I have a fender that is a reproduction from Taiwan and it has CAPA Certified label on it and I really feel it is a better made fender then what came on the truck from the factory.

I too remember when made in Japan stood for junk. If I opened a company where I lived I could deal with regulations, taxes, and lawyers wanting a piece of the pie I made or go to Mexico or China. Talk to a business man and you would see what they have to go thru and you would understand why. Not saying it is right but that just the way it is.

Last edited by Terrys87; 01-26-2016 at 10:30 AM.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:27 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
It's funny...because the difference between the best flywheel and pilot bearing and the worst flywheel and pilot bearing amounts to basically nothing. They'll all work just as good, and last at least as long as they need to. And in-use performance wise, will work exactly the same. With no noticeable differences between them. You think you can tell by driving which is which?

Look you got your Japanese clutch cover and disc(and throwout bearing too I presume). That's what really matters. Those parts are the important ones. How much does it really matter if you "cut corners" on the flywheel and pilot bearing? Jack squat...in my book.

With Marlin...you're basically paying for the HD pressure plate...or nothing. There's nothing special about the rest of the kit, or the other clutch parts he sells. And/or there's no other real reason to order a clutch kit(or flywheel, pilot bearing, etc.), from him...other than to get the HD pressure plate that comes with it...IMO.
Old 01-26-2016, 02:49 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I agree with the OP. Marlin has been big about made in USA and Japanesse bearings. Marlin's prices are a bit steep and you always knew at least it was the better quality. I would be pissed if I paid Marlins prices for US or Japanesse parts but received "made in China." Yes there is high quality products from China but crapy one too. Ask the people who had their pets die from imported snacks. I think Marlin should state up front if your paying for Chinese part especially since their claim to fame was OEM and US made part.

Last edited by Terrys87; 01-26-2016 at 07:41 PM.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:56 PM

Red face

I can`t speak for Marlin but from personal experience we have had a vendor out source parts from China.

Never told us we only found out after so very many failures !!!

So who can say they may not have known till people started to complain.

Anymore unless my parts Come from the dealer 90% are made in China 10% scattered about the world.

Brake drums, Rotors , Fly Wheels and Starters /Alternators come to mind

Have high priced American Parts sit on the shelf because so few want to spend the money While the cheap China built parts fly out the door .
Old 02-03-2016, 08:04 AM

Thanks, and I had a shopping cart with new clutch, flywheel, bearing, etc.. and hadn't ordered yet due to a few missing items.

Any suggestions on a reputable online 4runner parts house for upgraded heavy duty clutch and parts?
Old 02-03-2016, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by millball
I don't care if Chinese parts are as good as any others, I still won't buy them.

They are slave labor goods, many times using substandard materials.

Why take a chance?? Cheap goods are often truly cheap.

I don't have any objections to imported goods in general, so long as the workers in that country have a high standard of living.

Foreign workers have a right to a decent living, just as American workers do.

Labor creates all wealth.
I respect your integrity and couldn't agree more.

Marlin Crawler should know its customers. Truck enthusiasts do not want "Made in China." Plain and simple.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think LCEs flywheels are made in house, and their house is in the good old USA
Old 02-03-2016, 05:27 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
so what did Marlin say when you contacted them regarding this flywheel?
their price is midrange on this.
https://www.marlincrawler.com/clutch...-24-liter-8-78

i paid $20 to have my flywheel resurfaced. The clutch and flywheel on my truck survived 3 transmissions
Old 02-03-2016, 05:36 PM

I haven't done business with this Ebay seller, but their price seems good and they say only genuine refinished Toyota flywheels are offered.

Looks as if they sell outright, with no core required.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131630042039?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 02-04-2016, 01:35 PM

Red face

I am curious just what everyone Would do??

Due to the very expensive Warranty repairs the Head Shed at Toyota for economic reasons ( forgetting the Japanese Hate the Chinese)

Out sourced all replacement parts and major drive line parts to China.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:44 PM

I'd probably go back to driving my old Corn-binders.