Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

chevy spring swap no good compress rear

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chevy spring swap no good compress rear

I have a 86 SAS runner and I did the chevy swap rear. I used spring out of a 2000 silverado 1/2ton. they are 2 leafs with a thick bottom out (not the typicals 88-98 3 leaf springs) I went and did a flex test and great droop but still wont over flex this chevy springs which is leaving room for improvement. I still have about 4.5" of shock left. I Used double shackle setup also. 2" block and shim for pinion angle do you think swapping the bottom out spring with a softer one would help? Could it be the springs. could the body lift be screwing it up from the weight transfer? I will be taking out 2"of the 3" of body lift because its too much IMO. any suggestions would be great.

Last edited by scrowley; 11-22-2009 at 02:06 PM.
Old 11-22-2009, 03:34 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Shackle angle under compression?

Could be that the front isn't stiff enough to flex the back.
Old 11-22-2009, 04:03 PM

drop those P.O.S. springs out and get ya some marlin springs..or all pro..or trail gear..or deaver...whatever you prefer lol..

the fricken spring is going flat dude??..it's flexing to it's limit isn't it?????

get some flexier springs..that's about it..lol
Old 11-22-2009, 05:03 PM

i see plenty of chevy swaps flexing very well. it will look more tucked when body lift comes out. I just did the swap should i still go with aftermarket springs. i thought this was the way to go. any chevy swap guys out there?
Old 11-23-2009, 05:50 AM

bump..
Old 11-23-2009, 05:52 AM

shackle angle under flex is about 45 degrees when all the way compressed.
Originally Posted by tc
Shackle angle under compression?

Could be that the front isn't stiff enough to flex the back.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:52 AM
Contributing Member

I think its those springs, in order to support the weight of the chev with 2 leaves they have to be thicker than the older chevy springs with 3 which will tend to make them a bit less flexy as it's harder to flex the thicker material of the springs. I run the older ones and are very happy with them. I still run the O/load due to hauling stuff and running with a canopy and bed full of things quite often but if I pulled that and open the spring clamps a bit I'd have even more travel but right now have around 12" of droop and 5" of compression when measured from ride height.

Here's a shot at near full droop:

ride height:

couple of poser shots, limited by the ifs in these:

this was before i fixed the shackle angle (note compressed side)

Good luck
Old 11-23-2009, 07:11 PM

thanks for the pics. what size tire? can you post a pic of the tucked side rear. The springs i have are deff a lot thicker. yours def get a little more flat than mine. I will have to swith them out. the bone yard has a set of 1500 4x4 springs which i guess have 4springs. I guess just take one out in that case. and if you know which one? thanks
Originally Posted by Silver_Truck
I think its those springs, in order to support the weight of the chev with 2 leaves they have to be thicker than the older chevy springs with 3 which will tend to make them a bit less flexy as it's harder to flex the thicker material of the springs. I run the older ones and are very happy with them. I still run the O/load due to hauling stuff and running with a canopy and bed full of things quite often but if I pulled that and open the spring clamps a bit I'd have even more travel but right now have around 12" of droop and 5" of compression when measured from ride height.

Here's a shot at near full droop:

ride height:

couple of poser shots, limited by the ifs in these:

this was before i fixed the shackle angle (note compressed side)

Good luck
Old 11-23-2009, 07:44 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Everything I have read says you have the preferred leaf pack. Here's the definitive thread on 63" Chevies

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...threadid=20665
Old 11-23-2009, 08:17 PM

hey silver truck dude...i see a problem with your truck.....

you aint got no shocks dude...........
Old 11-24-2009, 06:14 AM

i used the year 2000 leafs which is not on the list. they still measured almost 63" I think i will stop at the bone yard today and get the 88-98 and try. I just dont want to take the bottom out leaf out and only be left with 2 main leafs. i think that would be too weak,
Originally Posted by tc
Everything I have read says you have the preferred leaf pack. Here's the definitive thread on 63" Chevies

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...threadid=20665
Old 11-24-2009, 06:52 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
You need to fix the rear shocks, the upper mounts are to far in making the shocks almost useless, move the upper shock mounts closer to the frame so there more verticle, they will work better that way.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:40 AM

heres some pictures of my rig. it has the 88-98 63" rears. 3 leafs +1 overload. 3" blocks. double shackle. 14" shocks are mounted the the stock location (no shocks in pictures.)

Old 11-24-2009, 01:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I used spring out of a 2000 silverado 1/2ton
Get some springs from an older truck. the older ones will have much much more flex. Another option is to mess with the spring packs. maybe drop off the overload leaf or cut some of them down . the springs you bought are probably too new and havent had alot of millage on them thus they will be alot stiffer. Keep in mind that the Silverados weight is alot more than your little 4runner and for those springs to work like you want them should have quite a bit of millage already ran on them
Old 11-24-2009, 02:30 PM

I figured in the long run with the right springs it will get more travel out of this shock. I can drill in another set wider and see if it makes a better ride or flex .
Originally Posted by myyota
You need to fix the rear shocks, the upper mounts are to far in making the shocks almost useless, move the upper shock mounts closer to the frame so there more verticle, they will work better that way.
thanks for the pics. I just have to swap these out for the older ones and drop the over load leaf.
Originally Posted by Dr_Shakaloo
heres some pictures of my rig. it has the 88-98 63" rears. 3 leafs +1 overload. 3" blocks. double shackle. 14" shocks are mounted the the stock location (no shocks in pictures.)

I will get the other spings. should have them tomorrow from the bone yard. the ones i have on there know are very new and still. never abused which would have been better. I dont like using a block for a offroad truck but its all i can do to get the flex and the height i need. I could just put some 5" lift chevy springs but i was trying to save money and I also like keeping up on my fab skills.
Originally Posted by fillsrunner4
Get some springs from an older truck. the older ones will have much much more flex. Another option is to mess with the spring packs. maybe drop off the overload leaf or cut some of them down . the springs you bought are probably too new and havent had alot of millage on them thus they will be alot stiffer. Keep in mind that the Silverados weight is alot more than your little 4runner and for those springs to work like you want them should have quite a bit of millage already ran on them
Old 11-24-2009, 03:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
im pretty sure lift springs are extremely stiff, specially new and especially when their for a truck that weighs twice as much...IMO better off with the bone yard springs your getting,
Old 11-24-2009, 07:48 PM

I think so. I have never had the chevy swap in previous runners. Just alcans. which are more than what i want to spend. I like the fab work anyways. I took out the body lift and its starting to look normal.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:03 PM

Talking

just put a 4link and you'll never have to worry about droop and compression
Old 11-25-2009, 07:06 AM

A 4 link would be nice. do you have one? have any pics of flex with that?
Old 11-25-2009, 07:50 AM

Red face

Originally Posted by scrowley
A 4 link would be nice. do you have one? have any pics of flex with that?
yea sure, really old pics though about a year now, no new pics of the new trim :S will put some up as soon as i change out the front hanger

Quick Reply: chevy spring swap no good compress rear