86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Check out this little jewel...

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 03:07 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Check out this little jewel...

I saw this on the way to the market today.
Looks kinda like someone poured a 50 gallon drum of rust all over it.
I don't know if it would be worth bringing back to life.I suppose that means what kind of life I am bringing it back to.
What do you think??

Last edited by toyospearo; 10-17-2008 at 06:30 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
79 and 80 is the toughest toyota ever made. im sure it still runs.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:24 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Looks pretty darn good to me. I'd bet a trip to the car wash to blow all that mildew and dirt off of the body (and I'm guessing the motor) would do it a world of good.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:49 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Dude, hell yes! Grab it, those trucks are gettin rare..
Old 10-17-2008, 04:02 PM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
Sooooooooooooo, what excatly is wrong with it again...??
Old 10-17-2008, 04:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BigBluePile
the wiper blades need replaced and the tailgate doesn't quite line up flush with the top of the driver's side of the bed and the tires have some dry rot.
... and no driver's door mirror

edit: and the passenger seat head rest needs fixed.

looks like a good candidate for a project build!

Last edited by abecedarian; 10-17-2008 at 04:07 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Haha, I thought the same thing!

"The frame is not in half, it has axles and wheels... and what appears to be VERY limited body damage.... wth is the problem?"
Old 10-17-2008, 04:09 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a decent set of used tires , $10 for some wiper blades and a little finagling with the tail gate and you may find a serious diamond in the rough
Old 10-17-2008, 04:11 PM
Contributing Member

MAN, my wife would be soooooo pissed if I brought that home!!!

...It would be AWESOME!!!!!!!
Old 10-17-2008, 04:13 PM

Well, the deal is... I am looking for a 1st generation Toyota PU to bring back close to fully restored in addition to modifying/upgrading it for offroad . This includes the body. I spent and hour going over the body of this truck and at the very least 30% of it is rusted through. I do bodywork and to get this truck back in shape would be a nightmare! The nice thing about this little truck is all the little cosmetic flare is intact. Grill, emblems, lights etc. I am uncertain wether or not to invest the labor to get the body under control and this is just the outside. Underneath has a nice coating of rust as well. The rubber and metal gas and break lines are ALL cracked and broken as well as the gas tank has a softball sized hole in it and that was just a quick underneath visual inspection.
Soooooooooooooooooo, this is exactly what is wrong from my perspective.
What would be ideal would be to find one with a decent body, buy that one and this one and start swapping things over.

Last edited by toyospearo; 10-17-2008 at 04:32 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:19 PM

actually, wouldn't that be a 3rd gen pickup? well, unless you consider the introduction of 4wd as marking the 1st gen.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:22 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by toyospearo
Well, the deal is... I am looking for a 1st generation Toyota PU to bring back close to fully restored in addition to modifying it for offroad. This includes the body. I spent and hour going over the body of this truck and at the very least 30% of it is rusted through. I do bodywork and to get this truck back in shape would be a nightmare! The nice thing about this little truck is all the little cosmetic flare is intact. Grill, emblems, lights etc. I am uncertain wether or not to invest the labor to get the body under control and this is just the outside. Underneath has a nice coating of rust as well. The rubber gas and break lines are ALL cracked and broken as well as the gas tank has a softball sized hole in it and that was just a quick underneath visual inspection.
What would be ideal would be to find one with a decent body, buy that one and this one and start swapping things over.

It's all in what you want to do! This wouldn't be my choice for a complete factory resteration. It's definately not a throw gas and oil in and go have fun truck either, but it would make a great little project.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:27 PM

It's all in what you want to do! This wouldn't be my choice for a complete factory resteration. It's definately not a throw gas and oil in and go have fun truck either, but it would make a great little project.
I agree, if I can swing it I might buy it and do a minor build up project out of it. My body is getting too beat up to go all out anymore on restoration projects. I would like to find something to restore that wouldn't beat the hell out of me and wouldn't take forever.

Last edited by toyospearo; 10-17-2008 at 04:29 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:29 PM

/me sees tube frame and body with minimal panels (with dzus fasteners of course ), suspension travel long enough to jump the grand canyon, and 37" tires pushed as far out to the side as possible.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:40 PM

If it's free, you can't loose, you mind as well take it under your care, treat as a mother would an adopted drug addict, take her in, and treat her with care, patience and respect. And always remember that in the end when she's fixed, it was worth it.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:12 PM

Received 273 Likes on 184 Posts
Well, the deal is... I am looking for a 1st generation Toyota PU to bring back close to fully restored in addition to modifying/upgrading it for offroad . This includes the body. I spent and hour going over the body of this truck and at the very least 30% of it is rusted through. I do bodywork and to get this truck back in shape would be a nightmare! The nice thing about this little truck is all the little cosmetic flare is intact. Grill, emblems, lights etc. I am uncertain wether or not to invest the labor to get the body under control and this is just the outside. Underneath has a nice coating of rust as well. The rubber and metal gas and break lines are ALL cracked and broken as well as the gas tank has a softball sized hole in it and that was just a quick underneath visual inspection.

typical BODY MAN ..

replacement/bolt on parts .. you guys are like spoild children ! if the dont fit perfect .. ooo oooo ..

here's what i'm repairing ....

Old 10-17-2008, 05:13 PM

I would leave the body just the way it is (besides for washing it) and would work on the suspension, drivetain, etc. It's just like when you go to an old air cooled VW show and half the bug's look just like that but slammed with chrome wheels. I'd lift the thing around 4", throw on some 35's with MT classic lock wheels and work on making the thing run good with a solid drivetrain. That body is priceless and I would not change a thing!!!

My buddy (which is a bodyman, and a good one) used to have this rig. It's what is left of a 95 4Runner that used to look mint. After a couple rolls and several years of wheeling, it looked like this. But that rig would out wheel 99.99% of the rigs out there and it was great when a top of the line buggy would get showed up by it.

Old 10-17-2008, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by slacker
typical BODY MAN ..

replacement/bolt on parts .. you guys are like spoild children ! if the dont fit perfect .. ooo oooo ..

>snip<
you mean 'replacing'?
Old 10-17-2008, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by slacker
typical BODY MAN ..

Our bodies are just worn out. Bad lungs and bad attitudes. A doctor told me one time the most beat up people he see's are #1 concrete workers #2 drywallers and #3 body people
I reluctantly do all three.

Last edited by toyospearo; 10-17-2008 at 05:30 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by DIRTCO
I would leave the body just the way it is (besides for washing it) and would work on the suspension, drivetain, etc. It's just like when you go to an old air cooled VW show and half the bug's look just like that but slammed with chrome wheels. I'd lift the thing around 4", throw on some 35's with MT classic lock wheels and work on making the thing run good with a solid drivetrain. That body is priceless and I would not change a thing!!!

My buddy (which is a bodyman, and a good one) used to have this rig. It's what is left of a 95 4Runner that used to look mint. After a couple rolls and several years of wheeling, it looked like this. But that rig would out wheel 99.99% of the rigs out there and it was great when a top of the line buggy would get showed up by it.

Dude, that thing is SICK!!!
I am getting ideas!!
thanks

Quick Reply: Check out this little jewel...