86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Chasing a ECT Ghost

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chasing a ECT Ghost

Hey all, not to long ago my 95 4runner overheated. I blew the head once before, and know it may happen again, but the first time it went quite gloriously, spraying fluid everywhere, blowing the cap off the radiator etc. This time when it overheated, I was able to stop before any of the previous glory. When I started poking around, I found the radiator had worn out, so I replaced that. Still no start, she turns over and sounds like she really wants to get going, but no dice. Checked the timing chain for wear and tear, it looks great (it was replaced a few years ago when the head went) I started looking around here and found a few threads that were quite helpful. I ran the codes, got 22 the water coolant temp sensor, so I've replaced that, but still no go. I've tested and cleaned the cold temp start sensor, made sure it still sprayed, took the new sensor off and tested it in water (along with the old out of curiosity. Both are reading the same) and the wiring appears in tact to the sensor. I'm at a loss and getting frustrated. This is my one vehicle, and I've got a 30 min commute to work one way. Any ideas before I break down and take it to a shop?

Old 10-08-2016, 10:05 AM

Hows the oil? Coolent in it? Got compression in all cylinders?
was it still running when it overheated? Like you shut it off with the key or did it die?
Old 10-09-2016, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Flash319
Hows the oil? Coolent in it? Got compression in all cylinders?
was it still running when it overheated? Like you shut it off with the key or did it die?
I stopped it by the key on the interstate, made it safely to an off ramp, and had it towed home. Before the tow, after it had cooled and I refilled the radiator, I was able to start it and drive to the other side of the bridge into a gas station lot, the heat Guage rose steadily the half mile to get there. Once it was home, I was able to start it again and move the truck in front of my house (I live in a cul de sac aND the driver couldn't angle in front of the house). Now nothing.
Old 10-10-2016, 04:38 AM

Your going to have to start checking the usual stuff. Do you have fuel pressure when cranking? Is the fuel pump coming on? Got spark?
Something didnt like the heat when it overheated,
Old 10-10-2016, 07:38 AM

Thank you again Flash.

Yes, and that's why I'm so frustrated. Fuel pressure is there, has a spark, and no other codes. If it's not the sensor is there a simple way to check the wiring to the sensor without taking everything apart?

Originally Posted by Flash319
Your going to have to start checking the usual stuff. Do you have fuel pressure when cranking? Is the fuel pump coming on? Got spark?
Something didnt like the heat when it overheated,
Old 10-10-2016, 05:36 PM

Should run without the temp sensor. Run crappy but will run. If you have fuel pressure and spark then your injectors must not be firing or you have low/no compression in one of the cylinders(head gasket ng). sounds like it sort of ran after so maybe injectors are not so good from the heat or the wiring. Is it flooding (smell fuel) after cranking?