86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

charge light problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
charge light problem

I have a 1993 2wd truck with a 22re automatic extra cab.I own other Toyota trucks also.The truck while turning on the ignition switch before starting, the check engine light & brake light goes on the instrument panel except the charge light is not lighted on..I checked my other trucks and the charge light goes on before starting and goes off while engine is on.Ive checked the ignition fuse and found out that this truck has no charge fuse.I also had the alternator checked up twice at Checkers and Napa and comes up good on the test equipment.When I run the engine on I also checked the battery voltage and it shows 11.75 and it means its not charging at all.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:40 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
on my 89 i have an charge fuse in the drivers side kick panel, my charge indicator lamp does not work and i don't remember what position it was, but i had pulled the fuse one time when my heater fan fuse blew and it didn't seem to affect anything at first and got me almost home when i ended up with an dead battery.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Do you have a place for the charge fuse? (you should).

From what I can gather by studying the wiring diagrams, the charge light operation depends on a voltage differential between the light's terminals. One receives 12v from the ignition switch and the other is connected to the alternator. It appears that the regulator, if operating properly puts 12v on the terminal to the light. Therefore, if the output of the alternator drops sufficiently, this causes a difference in voltage between the two light's terminals and consequently causes the light to illuminate.

Given this, no fuse means no light since the fuse completes the circuit for the charge light.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by abecedarian

From what I can gather by studying the wiring diagrams, the charge light operation depends on a voltage differential between the light's terminals. One receives 12v from the ignition switch and the other is connected to the alternator. It appears that the regulator, if operating properly puts 12v on the terminal to the light. Therefore, if the output of the alternator drops sufficiently, this causes a difference in voltage between the two light's terminals and consequently causes the light to illuminate.

Given this, no fuse means no light since the fuse completes the circuit for the charge light.
Its a 93 and its a automatic transmission and there is no charge fuse.I even changed the charge light bulb and isnt charging.I checked the 80 amp wire from the battery to the alternator with my multi meter tester and to find out everything is fine.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry

I have no answer, but im having the same exact problem.... ive checked all grounds, the wires from the alt to the battery with a amp gage, the 80 amp fuse, all fuses under the dash even tho none say charging, changed the alternator 3 times.. with yesterday being a brand new alternator.. still no charge.. i also dont have a charge light when i turn the key on... but my other 3 Toyota's do... any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 03-30-2010, 12:21 PM

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by abecedarian

so when you first start the truck and it comes on, it is because the alternator isn't really turning yet, meaning it is not putting out the full 12 volts yet, thus turning on the light?
i am having some issues with this too, trying to understand how it is sup[posed to be working, as i washed my motor, the two lights came one, replaced my alternator, good for a week, and then three days ago, the two lights came one for a second or two after that truck was running, not just the normal on while starting. but it hasn't done it since, and the battery looks fine and it starts and cranks fine, and i get about 13 volts on the battery at idle, and it goes up to 15 and change when you rev it, so the alt and reg seem to be working, starting to think i have a bad connection in the circuit that illuminates the charge/brake light. i have a lot of corrosion and water issues with my wiring.....

Last edited by de6w6it; 03-30-2010 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the charge light is the exciter for the charge circuit.it is what starts the charging process. look in the fuse box by the batt. i think the 7.5 amp fuse is for the charging system. check for batt. voltage at the fuse. if you have voltage on one side of the fuse with the truck running try jumping power across the fuse to the other side.this should cause the charging system to kick in. it will charge until you turn the engine off. that should tell you if the light is working.