Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Changing/upgrading pulleys. 7" LCE water pump and 4" crankshaft pulle

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing/upgrading pulleys. 7" LCE water pump and 4" crankshaft pulle

I didn't really plan on doing this much but once you get one part off I might as well change another right? Anyways, I installed a new LCE 120 amp alternator, and while I was at it purchased the 7" Aluminum water pump pulley and lightweight triple groove crankshaft pulley that is smaller at 4". I should take off the timing cover while I am at it but I need to get this back up running.

Has anyone upgraded to the LCE 4" crankshaft pulley along with the larger water pump aluminum one? It's definitely a lot lighter but I worry about the changes in rotation with different sized pulleys. I even bought replacements for the two idler bearings but they are not the same size as the original.

I guess I am looking for a write up or video on the installation and then how to time it all. The truck is an 1987 22r.

I will attach files when I get to my garage in a few but the pulleys are the LCE 22r Underdrive kit with the 4" Triple Grove Crankshaft,and the 7" (or 6", whichever is aluminum) water pulley. I might reuse my old idler pulleys as well because of the difference in sizes of the "replcements".
Old 05-29-2016, 09:56 AM

I meant the 6" water pulley. These are the links to the products.

Here is the new 4" Crankshaft Pulley
http://www.lceperformance.com/Underd...-p/1016105.htm

Here is the 6" Water Pulley
http://www.lceperformance.com/Water-...-p/1016108.htm
Old 05-29-2016, 09:59 AM

This is the full kit I bought that included both. I noticed the same kit with the 7" pulley said it couldn't be used with stock power steering so I am hoping this one is fine with P/S and A/C.
http://www.lceperformance.com/Street...-p/1016120.htm
Old 05-29-2016, 01:10 PM

Here are the pictures. Once again, my concerns are:
1.) Will the "4 crankshaft pulley and "6 water pump pulley cause issues?
2.) Can I use those replacement idle pulleys even if the diameter isnt the same but the bearings are the same size?

Do you see any issues with the overall design? The water pump and oil pump are new from LCE (the upgraded "Street" versions", I also painted them which is why they are that color (P/S pulley and pump is original). I decided not to mess with the timing setup because I am making a lot of changes already and I couldnt get the quality parts over the weekend. I have a new kit with metal brackets along with a new oil pan coming next week for that fun.

New LCE "4 Crankshaft Triple Groove Pulley. (Came in their kit with the #6 Water Pump pulley and timing tag which is why the timing piece is cut off the oil pump).<br/>

Original idle pulleys, I painted the in case I use them instead of the replacements.

Replacement pulleys, different diameters but the bearings seem like the same size so they technically fit, just not sure if the difference in size will cause issues?

Old 06-02-2016, 06:07 PM

Well, everything is on but the P/S belt is too big

Not sure why LCE didnt recommend a different belt size for the Power Steering belt, with the smaller crankshaft I couldnt get that belt tight enough even with the idler pulley max'ed out. I think I have the timing right (this is my first time so who knows until I get to firing this back up).

Just curious if anyone has used the LCE 4" aluminum crankshaft pulley and if it gave them true TDC with the degrees printed on the pulley and if they had any other issues? Its a ton lighter and looks really nice so I dont want to give up on it all and go back to the old system. Probably just say screw that belt for now so I can get the radiator/fan/plugs/fluid installed to test it out. I made a bunch of changes before being able to firing it up.

If anyone else uses this crankshaft with the OEM P/S I am curious to hear your thoughts.

This was the same belt I had on before, I was hoping the IDLE Pulley would make up for the slack...

Old 06-03-2016, 06:37 AM

Received 346 Likes on 215 Posts
Not sure what your question is specifically. Will it work? If nothing is rubbing and everything spins, then yes. Obviously with modifications of this type, your water pump, PS pump, A/C compressor, and alternator will all spin slower. So less water flow, PS won't be as strong, A/C might not work as well, and charging at idle will be reduced. Willing to live with those? Then it will work. If the belt is too long, get a shorter one. Depending on the belt brand the last 3 digits in the part number are the length with the last one either 0 or 5 for an even inch or a half inch. So XXXXXX465 is 46 and a half inch long. Different idler pulleys will work fine as long as their offset is the same as stock so the belt isn't bent out of plane. Diameters aren't super important as long as the tensioner can make up for it. LCE's front pulley should be accurate as far as timing marks go because there is no rubber insert for the marks to twist on. But the timing pointer that bolts to the oil pump is adjustable so you'll have to adjust that yourself otherwise it's all useless. The stock harmonic balancer can be inaccurate because the outer pulley spins on the inner hub so the marks aren't lined up anymore.
Old 06-03-2016, 11:13 AM
osv

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
you should be able to walk into any flaps and get a slightly smaller belt.

i would however go back to stock... harmonic dampers are engineered to be heavy for a reason.

"The stock harmonic damper is steel, weighs in at 5 pounds and over 6" in diameter we shave off a full 2" in diameter and cut the weight down to half a pound by using American T-6 6061 billet aluminum. "
Old 04-22-2020, 07:00 AM

Good site

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/pull/

Good website explaining details regarding pulleys.