Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Changing my torsion bar bolts

Old 05-19-2009, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing my torsion bar bolts

Ok so the PO relaxed the torsion bars so far that my tires are riding on the outer edge. I tryed to adjust them to put it back up to stock height. Only to find out that one of the bolts is seized up. I tryed to heat it. I've soaked it with Pb Blaster and Liquid Wrench foaming lube. finally I decided to just replace the bolt. I went to the local stealership and got new nuts and bolts for both side. I figured if I i'm replaceing one I might as well do both. My question is. Is there anything I should do to make this easier or anything I should watch out for. I figure it shouldnt be to hard to replace 2 nuts and bolt. I know after I do it I should get it aligned. any advise would be great
Old 05-19-2009, 11:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jack the truck up and unbolt the front shocks so all the front end is at full droop. You dont want any tension on the suspension.

May have to take the tires off if your jacks dont go high enough.

Oh yea, and try and measure how much bolt you take out so you dont have to set the height from scratch. Count the number of exposed threads before you start.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:55 AM

thanks for the advise Shawn. I was also thinking I should use a paint pen and mark where the torsion bars are sitting now. That way I could at least get it to where it is at this time. Hey I just notice your in Hillsboro! You know where any good trails are I've been going up to goat mountain, Larch is still snowed in they haven opened the gate yet. I heard Browns camp is supposed to be good. you got any favorites around here?
Old 05-19-2009, 12:08 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
There is a link to FSM's in my signature that might help you out on the procedure.

Becareful about wheeling at Goat Mountain, a guy on Kanyon Crawlers recently got a very expensive ticket for wheeling up there.

Brown's camp has stuff anywhere from powerline trails to trails like 7-up that break stuff
Old 05-19-2009, 12:33 PM

I havent wheeled much but browns is alright, i usually stick to easy stuff since im still learnin. I havent been up goat mt.

A few of my buddys have been to the stempson lumber area, if you get caught you can get in a lot of trouble, tresspassing on private property, stuff like that. There is a lot of places around here, i just dont know any.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:23 PM

Thanks ocdropzone I'll take a look at it. I didn't know we weren't aloud to wheel Goat mountain. that's where I've been going due to it being only 30 min from me. I've also been sticking to easy stuff I'm still learning and also most of the time I'm alone I don't know many people that wheel. plus my days off are in the middle of the week so everyone is working. I'll push it a little harder after I get a winch..lol. I'm also all stock right now. I got some cruiser coils for the rear but haven't had the cash for my BJ spacers and diff drop yet. hopefully next paycheck. then next comes better tires and lockers.

Last edited by Lummpus; 05-19-2009 at 01:27 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:16 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks, I still need to do this.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:26 PM

So is there anybody out there who has done this? Did you run into any problems? Anything in particular that I should be aware of? Any one want to see a write up on how it went?
Old 05-19-2009, 11:05 PM

Ive changed some back in HS. I used a c clamp to hold the key in place (dont think ours have keys) but throw some antiseise (spelled that wrong) on the threads as you put em in.

Just make sure the front suspesion is all the way down and the shocks are off and you should be good, GO SLOW as you get to the end just in case.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:13 PM

I was planning on anti seizing the bolts. I'm a diesel Mechanic and I know all about bolts being frozen in due to not using that. if it ever needs to come out or get adjusted I use that and if I never want it out again I locktight the hell out of it...lol.

Thanks again Shawn. Maybe I'll see you on a trail sometime
Old 05-20-2009, 07:52 AM

I would put a small piece of wood between the floor board and the top of the torsion bar bracket next to the bolt.

Chances are if your bolts are seized you will have to break Them to remove Them. Ask me how I know...

The block of wood will keep the end of the torsion bar adjusting bolt from going through your floorboard and make it easier to remove.

Hope this helps
Robb
Old 05-20-2009, 09:17 AM

Thanks Rob..lol sounds like you had a fun experience doing this. so did it go through you're floor board or just dent it real well? I never even thought about putting wood up there. Thanks for the advice.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:53 PM

I got my bolts done. Thanks again Rob if I hadn't put a block of wood up there it would have dented it. It shot out so hard it split the wood. I anti seized the crap out of the bolts so that if I ever need to adjust them again it will be easier. I got it adjusted to 14.5 inches from the top of my wheel to the bottom of the fenders. I'm not even sure it needs a alignment, it seems to track really well. I'll know when I get on the freeway though. Heres some pics of how it sits before and after. I think tomorrow I will install my cruiser coils.
Before

After

Old 05-20-2009, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Lummpus
I got my bolts done. Thanks again Rob if I hadn't put a block of wood up there it would have dented it. It shot out so hard it split the wood. I anti seized the crap out of the bolts so that if I ever need to adjust them again it will be easier. I got it adjusted to 14.5 inches from the top of my wheel to the bottom of the fenders. I'm not even sure it needs a alignment, it seems to track really well. I'll know when I get on the freeway though. Heres some pics of how it sits before and after. I think tomorrow I will install my cruiser coils.
Before

After

Glad it worked for you. I have a nice little dent on the drivers side...
Robb
Old 05-21-2009, 08:52 PM

did you guys just grind the heads off your bolts to get 'em out? both the nuts are seized solid on mine, but it doesn't look to me that once the bolt head is off you'd have enough clearance to get the bolt out. and it also doesn't look like you'd have enough clearance to get a cutoff wheel up there to cut the nut off.

nut breaker?
Old 05-21-2009, 09:30 PM

I just used a long 1/2 inch drive ratchet on the head and wedged a wrench on the nut and kept pulling till it finally broke. luckily it snapped up by the nut so it slid right out. other wise I would have had to try and cut it up by the nut. just make sure your jacked up and have your shocks off to try and minimize the load on it.