86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Changing injectors questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing injectors questions

So, I'm in the middle of changing my injectors on my 22RE in a 89 pickup and have a few questions.

I seam to have a lot of crud built up where the rubber rings for the injectors sit in the intake. It's the two ream most cylinders. I tried throttle body cleaner on them, and it didn't even touch it. I then wet them with the cleaner and gently ran a blade screw driver around the hole and it came out as a nasty goo. When the holes are dry, the stuff looks like rust in some spots, and white in others. The question is, what is this stuff, and what is the best way to get it out of there?

Next is my fuel rail. I have this white crusty stuff around where the injectors sit in the fuel rail, and some in the holes they sit in. What is this stuff, and how do I get rid of it?

The 3rd injector from the front came out the manifold very black, and had what looked to be carbon built up on it, so much that one of the holes were totally covered with it. The hole in the manifold looked very black inside, but cleaned up nicely with throttle body cleaner. What would cause this injector to be covered in carbon, and should I be worried about it?

My upper manifold, inside of the throttle boy, and the lower are fairly well crusted on the inside with carbon, that I'm guessing got there from the EGR. Is this normal, and how can I clean the upper out?

There is a can just below the lower intake that the fuel line hooks to coming from the tank, and the feed line to the fuel rail hooks to the other side. What is this? I managed to leave my service manual at work today, so I'm kinda lost as to what this may be?? Looks like a fuel filter, but it seams to be kinda in a nasty place to put a service item like a fuel filter?

Sorry for the long post, this is my first time performing surgery on my Yota, and first time I have opened up a injection system.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
Hmmmmm, well not sure if I'm much help with the first part of your post, but yeah, that black canister thingy below the lower intake IS the fuel filter. So, if you haven't replaced it yet(or know if it has EVER been replaced) then now is a great time to do it! Otherwise you'll be going thru the wheel well to get at it.

The T/B, upper/lower intakes should clean up with brake cleaner and some rags just be sure to take off hoses and whatnot you don't want hit with the brake cleaner.