Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

change timing chain now high rpm at start up and gas smell from the exhaust

Old 03-05-2014, 07:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
change timing chain now high rpm at start up and gas smell from the exhaust

Hey guys!!
I been reading on probleme for the last 2 weeks... and just can figureout what happenning with my truck.
So here is his history. I changed the HG on it and the timing chain ( i am not that much of a mechanic, it was my first time) Then i started it up and notice some knocking and rattless.. I open my valve cover look thru the timing chain slot and realize i did put the wrong bolt for the oil pump which was stopping the tensionner to fully extend.So swap the bolts and start it back up again.But now that i tought it was the problem the motor is starting fine, but idling really high 2000rpm over and if i let it warm up a bit goes even higher..Its smoking a lot as well, and maybe seems like gas smell..I didnt put the belt back on the truck before starting it up... just in case i had to take them out again(could that be it)
could it be vacuum probleme now? just before i change that bolt the idle rpm was fine..?
Anyways i am kind of lost now any help would be really appreciated!
thanks
Old 03-05-2014, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You should put the belts back on. The water pump,alternator and power steering pump take quite a bit of power to turn thus the high idle. The gas smell could be a bunch of things but check your vacuum hosing. Make sure the fuel pressure regulator has a hose connected to it and that it is going to the right spot. Also the idle will be high without coolant circulating.