Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Chain Guide Kit Prices?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chain Guide Kit Prices?

After careful inspection, I found the driver side guide on the timing chain is broken. The good news is it appears to be intact (78,000 miles on motor). It is just cracked at the top tab where it bolts to the block. So it looks like I have a fun weekend in my near future. After much searching on the subject I found 4 kits but the prices are very different.

O.S.K Kit (Plastic guides?) $47
Engnbldr Kit (Metal backed drivers with a rubber coating) $58
LCE kit (Both guides metal no coating) $200
D.O.A racing (Both guides metal) $275

My question is: Why such a price difference? I don't mind paying for higher quality because I only want to do this job once.

Actually that brings up another question: Where is the best place to get a high quality oil pump? (Factory from the dealership?)

Seems like I should replace it to while I'm in there. I'll replace the water pump, hoses, belts for sure.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:53 AM

I went with the engnbldr kit, it is metal on the driver side which is the side that breaks. I used engnbldr's oil pump and it is working fine, but I am sure that the dealerships oil pump is better quality.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:54 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Engnbldr Kit seems to be what everyone likes
Old 10-05-2009, 10:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
o.s.k all the way!

from www.22re.com
Old 10-05-2009, 12:56 PM

Are the o.s.k guides metal backed?
Old 10-05-2009, 12:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
nope.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:49 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
After talking to TOD at engnbldr I was suprised to find out that the D.O.A. is made for them by engnbldr and relabels them and ask twice the price for the same thing engbldr sells for just over $50.

I rebuilt my entire engine with engnbldrs master rebuild kit including there oil pump and have great oil pressure as well as water moving with there water pump and the best part is unlike anyone eles I talked with before buying the engnbldr kit HE WILL STAND BEHIND HIS PARTS NO QUESTIONS ASKED AND EVEN PAYS THE SHIPPING IF YOU GET A PART THAT IS NOT UP TO PAR OR HIS STANDARDS.

That to me was the best part I ever bought and he did just as he said he would when I had a issue with a ring he sent me, a complete set for free no shipping and did it with no questions all I said was I had 1 ring that broke as I was installing it and needed that ring to replace it and TOD said give me your address and shipped me a entire ring kit just to replace 1 ring and never charged me a penny no shippin and no replacement cost.

If you want a great place to buy parts from ENGNBLDR is my choice from now on just because they stand behind there parts and will do whatever it takes to make the customer happy,Where are you gonna find that kind of service anymore?

Last edited by olharleyman; 10-05-2009 at 01:51 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by olharleyman
After talking to TOD at engnbldr I was suprised to find out that the D.O.A. is made for them by engnbldr and relabels them and ask twice the price for the same thing engbldr sells for just over $50.

I rebuilt my entire engine with engnbldrs master rebuild kit including there oil pump and have great oil pressure as well as water moving with there water pump and the best part is unlike anyone eles I talked with before buying the engnbldr kit HE WILL STAND BEHIND HIS PARTS NO QUESTIONS ASKED AND EVEN PAYS THE SHIPPING IF YOU GET A PART THAT IS NOT UP TO PAR OR HIS STANDARDS.

That to me was the best part I ever bought and he did just as he said he would when I had a issue with a ring he sent me, a complete set for free no shipping and did it with no questions all I said was I had 1 ring that broke as I was installing it and needed that ring to replace it and TOD said give me your address and shipped me a entire ring kit just to replace 1 ring and never charged me a penny no shippin and no replacement cost.

If you want a great place to buy parts from ENGNBLDR is my choice from now on just because they stand behind there parts and will do whatever it takes to make the customer happy,Where are you gonna find that kind of service anymore?
Interestingly enough, everyone around here (Salem, OR area) they say "rock products suck"

I have engnbldrs engine rebuild kit with 25k miles on it...with no problems. Other than my fualt

Point is, everyone has there own opinion about likes and dislikes. I would vote for engnbldrs timing kit.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:15 PM
Contributing Member

LCE here. nothing to compare to, it is all I have ever run.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:13 PM

I really liked the quality of the D.O.A Timing Kit, the parts just felt indestructible.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:11 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
engnbldr, 4000k and not one problem yet.
plus, best customer service ever.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 874runnersr5
engnbldr, 4000k and not one problem yet.
plus, best customer service ever.
x2 almost like stepping back in time when a man's word was how they lived and ran there business
Old 10-16-2009, 05:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
>>>*Hi. I spotted a post here that I think I should clarify. We don't make the steel guides, we buy them from a manufacturer that does supply them. Then we just pull the nylon guide out and repack with the steel one and the fastners.

We don't supply DOA with those although we have sold them a few sets of racing valves. It is possible they use the same or similar since thus far I have only found three manufacturers making that part. But I simply don't know. I have to think that is what Tod meant, that they are likely similar, I guess they woule have to be since they have to fit.........*EB
Old 10-16-2009, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by olharleyman

I agree with olharleyman..I read alot of threads here on YotaTech forum..I have NEVER heard one bad thing about ENGNBLDER..Everyone seems to praise them..I will by a rebuild kit from ENGNBLDER when the time comes for my 94 2wd Yota truck..I heard negative things about D.O.A. on this forum...Like olharleyman said...You dont get that kind of service anymore.. You are lucky to get a return call let alone another part...

Good Luck!

Last edited by Blk63vette; 10-16-2009 at 05:54 PM.