Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Center Belt Buckle - 60/40 Bench in a 93 Xtracab - How does it work?

Old 12-18-2010, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Center Belt Buckle - 60/40 Bench in a 93 Xtracab - How does it work?

Hi all,

I searched the 86-95 forum for this, but when I was cleaning out the interior of my newly purchased 93 Xtracab DLX with the 60/40 bench, I noticed an extra seat belt buckle that would stick up between the split buried under the seat.

What's the purpose of that buckle? I didn't see any sort of lap belt for a center seat belt...but it doesn't appear that the driver's side belt would reach the center of the truck.

Anyone have one of these and/or know what they're for? Is there a center lap belt that I don't see or have?

I apologize for the n00bish question, I just couldn't find any info on the topic.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:17 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
yes there should be a belt that is down between the driver side and passanger side seat. I can fall down under the drive side as well. Just push both seats as far forward as possible and dig around under them, you should find the adjustable end on the passanger side and the buckle part fits up where the driver side buckle comes up. While there is a buckle there fitting 3 people up front it can be quite a squeeze and shifting can be a choir. I did have to use mine a couple of times and was quite glad it was there.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
mann...i'm SOOOOOOOO glad i got my 4runner, hauling passengers is totally cake now lmao
Old 12-19-2010, 06:47 AM

Interesting. I didn't see the other side of the belt when I went looking for it...I'll have to look again.

Then again, the previous owner did replace the carpet and did a terrible job. She never hooked up the rear seatbelt buckles, so I wouldn't put it past her not to have put back the adjustable part of the center belt and threw it out or something.

Oh well...time to go junkyarding I guess
Old 12-19-2010, 08:33 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Yeah sounds like the lap belt got ditched when they did the carpet. Sure you can pick one up as a lot of folks remove them when they do bucket seat swap. I'd leave it out if it were my truck. Had to have someone sit there once and it was hell. Could hardly shift and had to sit all cockeyed just to push the gas pedal with their leg there. Never again. I do recall when I was a kid my uncle and aunt had a savage 2nd gen truck with bucket seats and they'd strap me into the middle by crossing the belts, lol, can't do that stuff these days

On a side note, I have though seen some people squeeze more into an x-cab yota than just three deep on the bench...they also had 4 in the back making for 7 people in a mini truck, yikes! Tried to snap a pic but it was a tad foggy out and they had that reflective window tint.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by highonpottery
Yeah sounds like the lap belt got ditched when they did the carpet. Sure you can pick one up as a lot of folks remove them when they do bucket seat swap. I'd leave it out if it were my truck. Had to have someone sit there once and it was hell. Could hardly shift and had to sit all cockeyed just to push the gas pedal with their leg there. Never again. I do recall when I was a kid my uncle and aunt had a savage 2nd gen truck with bucket seats and they'd strap me into the middle by crossing the belts, lol, can't do that stuff these days

On a side note, I have though seen some people squeeze more into an x-cab yota than just three deep on the bench...they also had 4 in the back making for 7 people in a mini truck, yikes! Tried to snap a pic but it was a tad foggy out and they had that reflective window tint.
I totally agree with ya. I'd never try and drive with a full size person in the middle, nor would I ever put a little kid in the center (though hopefully I won't have to worry about little kids for another couple of years). I was just curious since I had one end of the belt and not the other.

The plan is to eventually upgrade to a pair of buckets anyways. I miss having a center console.

7 people in that truck scares me. I barely fit in the back of the truck with the seat pushed back to a point where a normal human could fit in the front seat, and I'm only 5-11.