Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

cCamshaft position not found?

Old 03-28-2014, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cCamshaft position not found?

Ok I know everyome is gonna tell me to search or give me a link to a specific thread after posting this and im sorry but I searched and didn't come up with anything definitive. I am a new member to this forum and new to the Yota world. I have a 91 4runner. When I bought it it was running a little rough but we knew the issue was because of a bad MAF. We replaced the air flow sensor but now the vehicle wont start at all as to where it ran before. The code that is coming up noiw says crankshaft position not found. Now the guy ive been getting my parts from who specializes in dismantiling and rebuilding these generation yota pick ups and $runners gave me a distributor and told me to trey the new one because the sensor that is in the distributor. The autoshop teacher at the high school where the 4runner has been going through its bumper to bumper used car inspection said unless hthere was something he didn't know about he didn't think that the distributor would fix the issue because the distributor goes to the camshaft and not the crankshaft. When I asked the local p[rofessional autoshop who helped me rebuild my 78 K15 tried looking up in his Mitchel program as to where the crankshaft sensor was and how to replace it and couldn't come up with anything. I preceded to tell him what the guy who ive been getting the parts from said and he said that's right I do believe the crankshaft and camshaft position sensors are both in the distributor. Can anyone help me with this issue because obviously if it cant find the crankshaft position it isn't going to know when to spark. Thanks for the help and thanks for welcoming me to your forums. Hope to meet some of you guys soon and get my yota up on the site so u cN SEE IT.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:02 PM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
The parts guy is correct, the sensor is in the distributor. However, since the last thing you did is replace the air flow sensor, I'd look for the wires you knocked off the distributor by accident in the process. That seems more likely to me than the distributor coincidently going bad just at the time you fixed the air flow sensor.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by RJR
The parts guy is correct, the sensor is in the distributor. However, since the last thing you did is replace the air flow sensor, I'd look for the wires you knocked off the distributor by accident in the process. That seems more likely to me than the distributor coincidently going bad just at the time you fixed the air flow sensor.
Cool thanks man. Im curious though as to what they could of knocked lose by putting a maf in when its not near the distributor.lol. there is only 1 conector coming out of the distributor right? and I need to post a pic of the intake that was on this thing when I bought it. its kinda weird
Old 03-29-2014, 02:58 PM

ok cool I went through and checked all the conections and something was just lose, it runs like a champ now.I do have another question though and im sure its prolly a dumb one but im gonna ask. So I know the button on the shifter itseld turns the overdrive on and off which is gonna goive u more power with it off or better mileage with it on but the question I have is the green button that is below the shifter that says power or normal. what does that do
Old 03-29-2014, 03:05 PM

nvm everyone google is ,y best friend
Old 03-30-2014, 10:25 AM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
overdrive-on is better for mileage ("higher" gear).

The green button (in "power" position) delays the shifting as you increase speed. Holding it in a lower (more 'powerful') gear.

Just so you know, you don't have an MAF, you have a VAF (different technology).

There is (as you might guess) NO code for "crankshaft position not found." What made you think you had that code? Search around here; about every third post has to do with how to retrieve the codes
Old 03-30-2014, 11:29 AM

Those who CAN'T, teach........
Old 03-30-2014, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by scope103
overdrive-on is better for mileage ("higher" gear).

The green button (in "power" position) delays the shifting as you increase speed. Holding it in a lower (more 'powerful') gear.

Just so you know, you don't have an MAF, you have a VAF (different technology).

There is (as you might guess) NO code for "crankshaft position not found." What made you think you had that code? Search around here; about every third post has to do with how to retrieve the codes
Haha u apparently didn't see my above post where I said I figured it all out and google is my best friend.lol. Umm I got the crankshaft position not found from the autoshop at the high school who has been doing a bumper to bumper check for me and the code that came up gave that response when they ran it through their Mitchell computer system. Its whatever anyways got it all fixed just a lose connector