Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Carr Lightbar Wiring - Xtracab No 3rd Brake Light

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carr Lightbar Wiring - Xtracab No 3rd Brake Light

Hi all,

I am working on planning future projects, and I came across a nice picture of an 94 Xtracab with a Carr light bar, and I'm really liking how it looks. I have a lead on a roll bar, but if it doesn't work out, I am thinking I will go with the Carr piece.

The question I have is how I would wire this w/o drilling into my roof since I do not have a 3rd brake light? I was also planning on adding a Wilson Little Wil magnet mount CB antenna and I have the same question on wiring. If I ran it through the Xtracab window, would I create a leak?

The only other idea I had is somehow running it through the door jam and through the weather stripping and into the cab behind the front fender.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. If I don't get the light bar, I figure I will mount the CB antenna on the roof and figure out some way to get the wire into the cab without it looking too silly.

My truck is currently at my Mom's since I'm still rehabbing a broken ankle and can't drive yet, so I don't have it in front of me to look at, but I was hoping someone here might have some input for me.

Again, I really don't have any desire to drill my roof...I'm in the Northeast and it has enough rust as it is. However, I also don't want to leak like crazy if I go through the Xtracab window, and I don't want to have wires running all over my roof.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:37 PM

i ran mine through the door jamb then under the carpet but if you do decide to drill a hole you can always put some goop around it to stop it from leaking

you could always run it between the crack of you bed and cab then under the truck and up to the battery
Old 04-19-2011, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by ProjectMcFly
Hi all,

I am working on planning future projects, and I came across a nice picture of an 94 Xtracab with a Carr light bar, and I'm really liking how it looks. I have a lead on a roll bar, but if it doesn't work out, I am thinking I will go with the Carr piece.

The question I have is how I would wire this w/o drilling into my roof since I do not have a 3rd brake light? I was also planning on adding a Wilson Little Wil magnet mount CB antenna and I have the same question on wiring. If I ran it through the Xtracab window, would I create a leak?

The only other idea I had is somehow running it through the door jam and through the weather stripping and into the cab behind the front fender.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. If I don't get the light bar, I figure I will mount the CB antenna on the roof and figure out some way to get the wire into the cab without it looking too silly.

My truck is currently at my Mom's since I'm still rehabbing a broken ankle and can't drive yet, so I don't have it in front of me to look at, but I was hoping someone here might have some input for me.

Again, I really don't have any desire to drill my roof...I'm in the Northeast and it has enough rust as it is. However, I also don't want to leak like crazy if I go through the Xtracab window, and I don't want to have wires running all over my roof.

Thanks in advance.
I did this to mine. I didn't drill into the roof, I drill under the weather stripping, ran the wiring down the pillar. I siliconed the hole up the ying-yang and haven't had any water leaks every since I installed the Carr Light Bar in 1998. Hope this helps you out or at least gives you the idea that it can be done this way with no problems.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cab vent between the cab and bed. Would require you pulling the bed back.