Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

carbon cleanup

Old 10-23-2012, 04:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
carbon cleanup

I'm rebuilding a 22re. And I've got to the re assembly stage.. well there is a boatload of carbon on the throttle body and the plentum. I was wondering what is best to get it off. Without taking it to my machine shop and having them clean it.. its an 85 mile round trip to the machine shop.. anyone know what I can use to get this crap off?
Old 10-23-2012, 08:36 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
a can of throttle body cleaner, a toothbrush, and elbow grease always works surprisingly well.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:39 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
The above and effort.

Do work.

:wabbit2:
Old 10-23-2012, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Take it to the carwash. Here is how and what I do to mine to avoid this mess.

Copy Fix: How to clean an EGR and fix code 71 is below pictures.

I take a thin piece of metal and bolt it to the EGR and grind it to fit to shape. After all of the carbon that builds up in these and how bad it plugs up all of the tubing. I just dont see how this can be good for the motor. I have spent alot of time trying to get carbon out of the Plenum and still have a ways to go. I can always remove it for inspections, if we ever have to start having them.

Did get a few more parts cleaned and got the stripped Allen bolt out. So am making steady progress.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fix for EGR/ Code 71

I got a couple of pictures out of order, but this should give you a good idea of what is needed to be done. You can leave the Plenum on the truck and clean the parts and hoses, I tried to explain both on and off the truck. Best is to take it off and pressure wash it.

I have ran into several EGR codes 71. I have been able to get them fixed without ever replacing one. There may come a time that I will have to replace one. To fix this problem, it will have a bunch of carbon, blocking flow of things. These EGRs usually cost $150 or more new.

2 bolts hold it to the back of the plenum and 3 to the head. Remove and clean out the little tube on the EGR for the vacuum hose and the pipes attached to the EGR. I will use a drill bit, cloth hanger and air hose. Probably could use brake cleaner or something.

This EGR is set up a little different then most but the Valve and EGR are the same as yours. You should be able to a vacuum on the hose and a vacuum on the EGR and get air to flow through(where my thumb and pointer finger is). I have a drill bit in the small tube. I usually try to take the screw out and but this one doesnt want to come out and dont want to risk breaking. A small wire will get around the bend. Get all pipes clean.

If you leave the Plenum on the truck,take a cloth hanger/ wire and clean out the back of the Plenum where the 2 bolts connect. It will have a bunch of carbon there also. I just work it with wire and air hose til I get it the best that I can.

If you take the Plenum off, Pull the Throttle Body off and take the Plenum to the carwash. The Thottle Postion Sensor is on the Throttle Body. Dont get it wet with water or cleaner. I just leave it on. You dont want the TPS giving problems. Where the EGR connects on to the Plenum, it will be very dirty. It has tubes that go through the Plenum so you wont be able to see all the way through. I take some kind of cleaner and spray into it to break up the carbon.

On the Brown Valve, just pop the black cap off and take an air hose and blow the paper filter clean.

All of the hose connections on the Plenum will more than likely be plugged to. Here to I use a drill bit with my fingers and get it all cleared out. Check the hoses also and make sure there is no carbon blocking them.

Here both the port and line is completely plugged with carbon. There were others plugged as well.

The Cold Start Injector is held on with two 10 mm bolts. The Throttle Body and Cold Start Injector gaskets usually stay on the Plenum and I just reuse the gaskets. Just be careful cleaning around them so as not to damage and you can reuse the gasket. Here is a picture of a dirty CSI. I just clean it up with a wire tooth brush. It will have a metal line connected to it. Double check when you start your truck up that it is not leaking. This is on place it will want to leak and is under a lot of pressure.

Here is a picture of the Throttle Position Sensor. You dont want to remove this from the Throttle Body or get it wet with water or chemical cleaners. Just clean around it.

This is the reason, I make a block off plate because of all of the carbon it produces. A soda can will work, I like to use a little thicker material if I can find some. Then I put a little gasket sealer around the plate and EGR just to keep from getting air leaks.

The best way to get this is to remove the Throttle Body and take the Plenum to a carwash and really wash it out good. You will be surprised at the build up in it. I can usually have this done from start to finish in about an hour to an hour and half.

In Post #42 is a poor picture of some of the build up. The Modulator on the head cover may just need taken apart and cleaned with an air hose. The Haynes manual on page 6-38 says "California Model only" for a Code #71, this pretty much applies to all trucks.