Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Car running bad when cold. Why?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Car running bad when cold. Why?

My runner runs bad whenever the engine is cold. But as soon as the engine is warm it runs fine. By bad i mean it has no power when i press on the gas pedal. It has high rpm's and has no power, but all that changes as soon as my engine is warmed up. Is it normal that it does that? What can i do to make it better?
(I posted this before but for some reason my thread got deleted so im posting it again)
Old 10-19-2005, 04:09 PM
Contributing Member

That sounds more like your tranny is not passing the power on (slipping). Have you had your tranny fluid checked? There are places that look for particulate matter in the tranny. If the fluid is really old and your miles are high you may just want to leave it alone, but if it looks good then maybe go for a better fluid in there (like amsoil tranny fluid).
Old 10-19-2005, 04:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that is completely normal, mine stays in 2nd for awhile now that the weather is cooler and it takes longer to warm up
Old 10-20-2005, 10:27 PM

cccp,i think i might have the same problem. do you have the 22re with a m/t? if so does your truck idle fine? and seems to clear up over 3000 rpm but no power.also mostly in cold weather. my mech suspects a sticking maf. 3000 rpm seems to be a majic # for my ride. always seems to have way more power after that point. like a turbo coming on. can`t seem to find the answer. did the usual cap,rotor, filter,plugs, timing,fuel filter,blah blah blah. let me know what you find, i will do the same. tried asking the forum about this last spring and was very disapointed with the replies. would be nice to hear from a mech or 2. good luck
Old 10-21-2005, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by 4chucker
cccp,i think i might have the same problem. do you have the 22re with a m/t? if so does your truck idle fine? and seems to clear up over 3000 rpm but no power.also mostly in cold weather. my mech suspects a sticking maf. 3000 rpm seems to be a majic # for my ride. always seems to have way more power after that point. like a turbo coming on. can`t seem to find the answer. did the usual cap,rotor, filter,plugs, timing,fuel filter,blah blah blah. let me know what you find, i will do the same. tried asking the forum about this last spring and was very disapointed with the replies. would be nice to hear from a mech or 2. good luck
No my engine is the 3vze 3.0 v6. I looked at this more and i am thinking it can be the o2 sensor maybe because it is not getting enough air into the engine cause its cold air. Just a thought though.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:22 AM

With the winter here if my car is cold and i drive and when i press on the gas it feels like my car will die and stall out. Why does that happen?
Old 12-07-2005, 06:17 PM

Hmm another take on the same problem I believe... I experienced something similar the other day as well. I have a 96' with the 2.7 and it has gotten quite cold here in ND, we have been in single digits for the past week with wind chills around -30, so its damn cold here. I have an auto too, so I came out from work started it up and let it warm up as usual for about 5 minutes drove off the base and it ran great around 30 mph. once I got onto the 2 lane highway the speed limit is 70 so I started cooking along to get up to speed with traffic well I soon found getting to 70 was a chore, and staying there was real difficult for the engine I had the pedal at about 3/4 throttle and once it shifted into OD the speed fell off to about 60 and I literally had to floor it to get it to downshift out of overdrive it had no throttle response and was gutless. So I put the ECT in powermode and still had to almost floor it to get it to kick down. So I locked it out of overdrive and gave the throttle a good stab well it had a dead spot until about 3000 rpm's as well then it took off like a turbo kicked in just like cccp described. Very peculiar. Is this cold weather related? I think the oxygen sensor is a good culprit maybe the MAF, I really dont think its a trans issue cause it hasnt done it acts fine around town just dead on highway speeds. What else could cause this "dead spot" and lack of power?? Hope someone can shed some more light on this subject for us. Thanks.

Matt Rogers
Old 12-07-2005, 09:39 PM

well what i did in my truck,mind you i have the 22re, was remove the t/body and cleaned it thoroughly(remove the tps from it first!!) use intake cleaner not carb cleaner. resest tps. not much difference but not a bad thing to do. then on to the maf,cleaned the contacts on the sweep portion with isopropanol alcohol(99%).no change.adjusted the resistance of the spring for the air meter flap 10 notches clockwise.mark your starting point!! big difference. doing this allows the meter to open easier thus giving more fuel in the bottom end. a common problem with high milage engines due to their lower compresion and inability to draw air into the engine. btw a bad o2 will give a cel. i also changed my o2 with no difference. it cleared the cel though! still can`t get an answer to why only when cold. i would guess something todo with the ecu. not saying its faulty,just dealing with the info its given from the sensors. ie coolant temp vs tps/maf readings. sorry for assuming you have a high milage engine. just my own situation, 320,014 km`s today!! i think thats close to 200,000 m`s or something.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:37 AM

I do have a high miledge vehicle. Pushing 164k here.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:35 PM

Yes, my 4runner has about 110,000 barely qualifies for high mileage. Still perplexed though. It hasn't done it everyday since just twice in the last week.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:04 PM

You must understand not only do you have to let the engine warm up you also have to let the transmission warm up.

Mine will do the same thing if I jump in it cold. I get very little to no power. It only does it old. I'm not concerned that something is wrong with it, because its cold.

Now if you guys are not getting any power when its warm then I would be worried. But you can't expect a cold engine to rein supreme in terms of power. At least I don't
Old 12-08-2005, 06:26 PM

few months ago i was having problems similar to these as well, i have 170,000. When the cold t yeargot here my engine would shudder at start up and when i drove, the truck would studder but when it warmed up everything was ok. Anyways it started getting worse and it turned out i needed a tuneup. Replaced wires, plugs, fuel pump, ect.... All went away.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:17 PM

today i jumped in my car when it was cold out and drove to the store i left my drive way and got to the street and my car almost died on me, i pressed the gas pedal and i seriously thought my car was going to die, my lights even dimmed and when i did press on the gas pedal it would not even move i had to let my car warm up for like 3mins and then it all went away, i was scared when that happend but everything was ok.