Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

cant get head gasket to seal at timing chain cover

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cant get head gasket to seal at timing chain cover

I am having troubl getting my head gasket to seal between head and timing chain cover on a 86 22re,is there any tips for this procedure,i mean should i use any other kind of sealer along with the gasket? it doesnt leak oil on the corners but on the front on both sides of the penninsula and pooling on top of the water pump. Any ideas would be helpful as I am new to major repairs on engines.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:28 AM

me again

would a factory gasket make a big difference?
Old 03-14-2011, 10:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you are supposed to use silicone on the front part of the cover, i have and it always seems to help.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:45 AM

where specifically

where do I apply sealant specifically on the timing chaim cover? also what kind of sealant and how much?
Old 03-14-2011, 02:16 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
There's nothing you can really do to prevent this.
I just hasd to fix this myself, and the best method is to pull the head lol.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:41 PM

pull the head

I am going to pull the head(for the second time)but I want to make sure it gets done right this time so what do you think? Any preference on brand of gasket? Where and how much sillycone to use?Any thing you learned when you did yours that would be helpful?
Old 03-14-2011, 03:54 PM

Get yourself an fsm! Google "ttora fsm" that will help, they have one for an 88 that will work. It details the tear down and re installation including where to place sealant. Toyota oem gaskets are widely recognized as the best quality hg.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:01 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
before pulling the head, try this, loosen all the bolts that go through the timing cover that run into the block, don't remove them, and then tighten down a little more on the bolt on the top of the cover that is in the head and under the cam. However don't too too tight with it either as it's a small bolt and can snap pretty easily. If that bolt isn't tightened before the rest of the cover mounting bolts it might not seal tightly.

Of course this is all assuming the timing cover was done with removing the head in the first place and the head gasket was not pinched when installing the cover with the head still on.

IMO Toyota brand FIPG or ultra black RTV would be the best to use.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 03-14-2011 at 04:02 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I remember when I did the timing chain on my rig, putting the cover back on without taking off the head I messed up the head gasket...which led to a head job then. It was hard to squeeze it between the oil pan and head. Maybe you might have damaged it?
Old 03-14-2011, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by bspeth
I am going to pull the head(for the second time)but I want to make sure it gets done right this time so what do you think? Any preference on brand of gasket? Where and how much sillycone to use?Any thing you learned when you did yours that would be helpful?
Coat the timing cover gasket surface in rtv then smear it on. Then put the gaskets on, then let them tack up.
While you're doing that, use some high grit sandpaper, and a razor, and take down any old gasket on the head and block.
Then install the tchain cover.. then put a dab of rtv on the corner where the block and tchain cover meets. (Really not necessary)

At this point make sure you leave the bolt for the alternator tensioner out. Or install it..
Set down headgasket and go from there. I used fel pro and rtv on everything, and no leaks yet
Old 03-14-2011, 07:05 PM

thanks fellas

ok thanks,i think im going to try xtreme's idea first,and yes I pulled the head to install the timing cover the first time so the head gasket should be intact,also the head has been resurfaced.I dont think there is a contamination,but hard to be positive.(as in non removed rtv or gasket material on the block or timing cover). Now does anyone know the proper torque for the head to timing chain cover bolt, its like a 10 mm or something. Also if this fails then what do you think would be my best course of action(pull the head obviously) but any tips would be appreciated. I think I would elect for oem gaskeys from here out.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:24 PM

Well, the proper torque is tight, but not tight enough to strip the aluminum.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:48 AM

torque

thanks,i will check back in when i find out how much torque it takes to snap off that 10mm bolt that goes through the head and the timing chain cover.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:03 AM

thanks,i will check back in when i find out how much torque it takes to snap off that 10mm bolt that goes through the head and the timing chain cover.
Its 12mm lol.
And it shouldn't be more than 12 ft lbs.
After that, the aluminum will strip out.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:10 AM

right

upon further inspection I found a hairline crack in the timing chain cover underneath where the bolt goes in from the head,I think the gasket was ok so it should be fun from here.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:00 PM

upon further inspection I found a hairline crack in the timing chain cover underneath where the bolt goes in from the head,I think the gasket was ok so it should be fun from here.
It was probably over-torqued upon reinstall. Unfortunately, I know this mistake first hand with the exact same results. "Snug" is too tight for this bolt. Mine was a brand new cover from enginebuilder.

The fix - JB Weld

1 year and no leak...
Old 03-15-2011, 12:05 PM

all messed up

hey im new to yotatech and not that good at puters,i cant remember how to start a thread.can you help? I want to know if yall know of a good write up on pulling the tc cover without removing the head. thanks,sorry for my dumbassness.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:54 PM

Click here. Its the one I used. I put no responsibility of my above problem/mistake on the instructions...

This has been covered many times. I have not been around long enough to chew you out for not searching first, so I will defer that to others.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:03 PM

I get it, Iam new to the forum AND computers but I am learning them as I am also learning toy repair(I dont know which is harder yet) I look forward to giving back when I get the hang of it.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:15 PM

exactly the write up i need,thank you very much.

Quick Reply: cant get head gasket to seal at timing chain cover