Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Can you name this mystery 3vze part?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Can you name this mystery 3vze part?

This is my first post here but I've been finding some great info, advise and photos from you all at Yotatech since about February 2013... Thanks to you all, I've saved money and discovered things I did not know about the 4runner.. I raced motorcycles in the 70's, built race cars from the ground in the early 80's but took the last 30 years off of wrenching..

I'm the OO of a '95 limited.. 3vze and all that jazz.. Only 59,000 miles on it...spotless.. Never in the rain, 3rd set of tires.. (dry rot) Lots of that chrome and junk you guys hate these days.. It was all stock..but no more.. I noticed a small oil leak DS valve cover.. One thing led to another and I decided just to rebuild, modify and improve everything I could.. Sorry, I didn't smash it up, make it look like a tank or paint anything shiny, all black.. I'm old.. Old guys are weird.. You know.. I'm hand polishing all the bolts man.. Third rubdown of the LCE exhaust.. Going for that high gloss under carriage and frame.. 5 months and 53 hoses later, she's starting to go back together.. So far, I didn't have any help.. But I'm looking for someone that will know what this part is from.. I have a giant boxes of "leftover" parts that I'm sure I don't need but this one may be important, so I thought I would throw it out to you..

I didn't mark all the parts and was relying on proximity location (parts piled near the place it was torn off) to get me back.. I found two of these guys near the fuel injection part pile.. They may or may not be from the FI system.. They are the same size and look like the black fuel rail spacer rings that go above and below the rails but these guys are soft and there are only two of them.. They have an inner and outer layer.. Little like a doughnut.. I put the EFI system back in and I don't see that anything is missing.. I'll post a pic.. I checked the diagrams of the EFI system and don't see these on there.. I checked every part of a gasket and seal kit and didn't see them on there either.. FSM = Nope..

I would gestimate that I have a couple more months to go on the engine, electrical, etc.. I plan to post the build when she's looking better.. I haven't started it since April and changed all the systems without testing.. This should be interesting.. I have a feeling that she'll come right back to life..

Thanks for any help..
Attached Thumbnails Can you name this mystery 3vze part?-p1010603.jpg  
Old 09-28-2013, 05:48 PM

Received 273 Likes on 184 Posts
You are correct .. they are the fuel rail spacers ..
you sure you didnt replace them with new ones ?

Old 09-28-2013, 05:51 PM

No, these are soft and hollow and the rail spacers are solid and hard.. All spacers are accounted for and they were in good shape.. I didn't get new ones..

Thanks
Old 09-29-2013, 07:41 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anything here ring a bell?

Edited: to remove incorrect part number.

Last edited by rworegon; 09-30-2013 at 12:23 AM.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Fuel injector to port seals.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:41 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Technically, those would be called spacers too. Not fuel rail spacers though. Since they're injector parts.
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...68cylinder.pdf
Old 09-29-2013, 05:33 PM

94180-40800 is a nut.. the nut that holds the rails in place.. these things are rubber, soft and actually fit on top of a nut.. Not injector parts.. I took out the old and put in Bosch but nothing is missing from either set.. I didn't tighten the rails down yet and just checked.. All seals, spacers, grommets, insulator, orings etc. are on the injectors just like they should be.. There are only two of these guys and I was thinking maybe they are bumpers of some kind to go on top of the fuel rail bolts and keep the plenum from hitting OR.. They could go on top the fuel rail bolts just under the coolant lines that pass though the throttle body!! They have foam in that area to protect them from hitting those bolts but it could be from there.

Thanks for the ideas..
Old 10-02-2013, 03:02 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red, did you figure out where those parts go?
Old 10-06-2013, 12:37 AM

Nope.. I'm going to put them on top of the fuel delivery pipe (ds) nuts, just under the throttle body coolant hoses.. If I find a better place for them, then I'll at least know where they are..
Thanks.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:22 AM

Those are injector groumets.

They sit in the manifold side of the injectors

Fuel rail side gets o-rings. Manifold gets those.

With out all of them you'll have a nasty vacuum leak.. may not start..
Old 10-06-2013, 08:00 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Toyota call it a "Injector Vibration Insulator", part number 23291-41010

It goes between the injector and the spacer that plugs into the actual manifold. Its a sort of seal. They are likely from another time the intake had been apart, or from a different motor? But they definitely do NOT go on top of the nuts.

That is what they look like when they are not worn out/crushed
Old 10-08-2013, 03:49 PM

Thanks 7M and Death,

I checked the old and new parts and they are all there.. This is why these are weird.. They are soft, spongey and crushable with my fingers.. and there are only two of these things.. I'm not missing any spacers or grommets.. Like I said, I took out the original injectors and put in the Bosch four squirters with harness adapters.. They came with orings and such already attached. I did have to pay a fortune for the insulators (big hard plastic things that go into the manifold) and then they didn't come with orings and that was another $35.. I did the dance through all the injector parts with the similar names that will make you crazy.. I'm pretty familar with them.. and then I got a pressure damper made by Standard to save a few bucks ($71).. The first one had threads that were so screwed up, they would have messed up the aluminum threads in the fuel delivery pipe.. I then got a second one and the crush washers didn't even fit their design, leaving a huge gap were the washers should have seated.. No way to center the washer when tightening that sucker down.. They just don't fit.. I put up the $130 for a stealership part.. Anyway, I have been over the fuel system quite a few times and am still puzzled as to what the hell these things are.. They were with the parts that I took off, so I'm thinking that they won't be real important anyway since I've replaced the originals with Bosch and everything is in place. .

I've made so many changes in this six month build without a test fire up of this engine.. New alum radiator, every coolant, vac hose and fuel line changed (54), Headers with EGR and PAIR delete, complete exhaust with new OS, new PS system, Trans cooler/Oil cooler/PS cooler, CAI, Every gasket and seal except oil pan and rear seal, I also did the big three 1/0 with HO alt (170A) and additional fuse box 4 awg.. I'll have fuel pressure/oil pressure/vacuum/coolant temp/trans temp/air-fuel/oil temp gauges and timing light/rpm gauge all over this thing when it's time to start along with a couple of extinguishers.. If I don't get a couple of codes.. it will be a surprise.. Also, a video cam to record the good, the bad and the ugly.. We'll see what happens.. I've already warned the neighbors..