YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > 86-95 Trucks & 4Runners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-09-2007, 08:22 AM   #1
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

Can seafoam damage my trucks 22re?

hey i have a 89 4runner w/ 22re and was thinking about using seafoam to clean up the engine. However i asked one of my buddies about it and was told that if my engine is really that dirty (my engine is insanely dirty and covered with sludge from the P.O) that it can actually damage it by clearing up the gunk that is holding everything together. He said that eventually it will all get so clean that it will sieze up the engine. Is this correct?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
- Rebuilt 22re bored .20 over, 5 speed swap, 4.30 gears, - Magnaflow Performance Exhaust with Magnaflow Hi Flow Catalytic Converter, Monroe Sensa-Tracs Shocks all around, 4runner AALs, Checkerplate front skid, Softopper , Clear Corners and Turn Signals, Eagle Alloy Rims with 31x10.5x15 M/T tires, 2 12" JBL Subwoofers / MTX AMP, Pioneer Premiere Speakers, JVC KD-G730 MP3/CD/Bluetooth
eightnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 08:31 AM   #2

i'm not a real big fan of putting anything in the engine other than motor oil. i have heard many times of people dumping some goo into their engine, only to dislodge the crud from inside the motor, and then having it get sucked up to the oil pump pickup. i think the seafoam in the intake, and some in the gas tank is a good way to go though.
ssupercoolss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 08:31 AM   #3

if thats the case then you're motor is in Bad shape and needs to rebuilt/replaced anyway. if anything it SHOULD help to clean the insides and remove much of the sludge that builds up over time. kind of a steam clean i believe is what it does. through the intake helps to eat up the carbon buildup and through the gas helps to clean the injectors and fuel system of course. both good things to do regularly. if i were you i wouldnt run the seafoam in your crankase for more than 20 miles or so. then drain and service. tim
91 sr5 3SLOW auto xtra cab 4x4 : K&N air filter, isr mod, new exhaust, rebuilt tranny @ 237k miles. 31x10.5x15 dayton mt, combo kit brush guard with kc lights, 20% tinted windows all around, panasonic cd player & all new speakers, max 4 seat covers & floor mats, sirius satellite radio. Running strong @ 250k miles. Headgasket replaced @ 239k miles.

Last edited by Tim_Snapple76; 09-09-2007 at 08:33 AM.
Tim_Snapple76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 08:33 AM   #4
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightnine View Post
...it can actually damage it by clearing up the gunk that is holding everything together.
If you have "gunk" as the only thing holding your engine together, then it would fail pretty quickly. Bumps would shake things loose, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightnine View Post
He said that eventually it will all get so clean that it will sieze up the engine. Is this correct?
If used according to the instructions, I can't imagine how this could possibly happen, unless you manage to hydrolock the engine, but then, you weren't following the instructions.

Keep the Seafoam, ditch the friend's advice.
Tread Lightly! certified Tread Trainer

Search 100+ Toyota tech sites, including this one: All Toyota Search Engine
WATRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 08:33 AM   #5
Threadstarter [OP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Snapple76 View Post
if thats the case then you're motor is in Bad shape and needs to rebuilt/replaced anyway. if anything it SHOULD help to clean the insides and remove much of the sludge that builds up over time. kind of a steam clean i believe is what it does. tim.
yeah the engine needing a rebuild is a given, i just dont have the funds to do it anytime soon so im looking for a quick fix for a little bit to by me some time. My trucks only got 225km on it right now so im hoping it will last me a few more clicks.
- Rebuilt 22re bored .20 over, 5 speed swap, 4.30 gears, - Magnaflow Performance Exhaust with Magnaflow Hi Flow Catalytic Converter, Monroe Sensa-Tracs Shocks all around, 4runner AALs, Checkerplate front skid, Softopper , Clear Corners and Turn Signals, Eagle Alloy Rims with 31x10.5x15 M/T tires, 2 12" JBL Subwoofers / MTX AMP, Pioneer Premiere Speakers, JVC KD-G730 MP3/CD/Bluetooth
eightnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 08:35 AM   #6

how is the motor running now?
91 sr5 3SLOW auto xtra cab 4x4 : K&N air filter, isr mod, new exhaust, rebuilt tranny @ 237k miles. 31x10.5x15 dayton mt, combo kit brush guard with kc lights, 20% tinted windows all around, panasonic cd player & all new speakers, max 4 seat covers & floor mats, sirius satellite radio. Running strong @ 250k miles. Headgasket replaced @ 239k miles.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:48 AM   #7

just change your oil really soon after doing it.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:52 AM   #8

Whats so wrong with your engine at 225K km? Mine is at 320K and it rattles and smokes on startup; but when I did the seafoam I noticed a good improvement in throttle response and a little more torque uphills. In fact I was so happy with it I did it again a few days later and it smoked like twice as much as the first time. I saved about a third for the day I changed my oil, and poured it in the crankcase drove to toyota to get the oil filter then home and changed the oil.

My point is if my truck could handle it yours should be able to as well. The 22R-E is a bombproof motor.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:54 AM   #9

if its got that much sludge then drop the pan and clean that out THEN use the seafoam and minimize the chance of the chunks of sludge hurting the engine.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:49 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to shaeff
seafoam is snake oil. do some research.

-shaeff
shaeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 01:02 PM   #11

Where would you suggest starting or going? I've done a Google search already, and within the first five search pages I've found nothing but positive things. That's not saying much I guess considering there's not much to be found, anyway. OR! Maybe that's saying a lot?

Context is everything....
Quote:
Originally Posted by abecedarian View Post
freckles, shmeckles... that was your acne reflecting on my pearlescent skin.
My favorite method of troubleshooting..... :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLux View Post
Oh...that was me thinking...then stopping mid sentence...then some more babbling and such. LOL
thook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 01:13 PM   #12
Contributing Member

Ain't the internet grand? Every photo is retouched, every product that works is snake oil and throttle body spacers give you 1000 horsepower!

Tread Lightly! certified Tread Trainer

Search 100+ Toyota tech sites, including this one: All Toyota Search Engine
WATRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 02:08 PM   #13

So, what are you trying to say? My 5" TB spacer is not worth the 5k I spent on the mod?

Context is everything....
Quote:
Originally Posted by abecedarian View Post
freckles, shmeckles... that was your acne reflecting on my pearlescent skin.
My favorite method of troubleshooting..... :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLux View Post
Oh...that was me thinking...then stopping mid sentence...then some more babbling and such. LOL
thook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 04:31 PM   #14

I have always had good results with seafoam in various cars. The only bad thing I have really seen from it is that it can kill o2 sensors. I would guess that the o2 sensors it kills are ones on there last legs but still seafoam was the death of my $200 5 wire o2 sensor in my honda.

Other than that I dont think it will hurt anything that isnt already hurt.

***edit*** oh ya I just bought 2 cans for my truck today.
PoconoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 04:49 PM   #15

i've got a 1/3 of a can waiting for my crankcase. i've only got 160 miles till change.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:18 PM   #16

I've put two cans in mine. Half in the oil, changed it next day. Half in the gas, filled tank afterward. Half in PCV, a ton of smoke.
I know, that's only 1 and a half. I still have half a can left. No ill effects from Seafoam. Follow the directions on the can.

Last edited by HAVOC; 09-09-2007 at 05:21 PM.
HAVOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 05:24 PM   #17

I've run for years on my gas tank and my crankcase and not had any problems.

Just don't leave in your crank case for 1000's of miles.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:54 PM   #18
Contributing Member

my old 86 had 430k km's plus when i got rid of it, 22re 5 spd, it started every day without fail. mind you, the oil leak did kill a couple of alts, damned oil pump!

your motor has plenty of life left in it, do your maintenance regularly and fix the small things before they become big and $$$ and youll be good to go.

lee

there are quite some attractive ladies on here with Toys. (compliments of ironmike)

ifsc 3(.0)

http://tlca.org
www.of4wd.com
www.sontt.com
leebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:34 AM   #19

jnfrrs

Last edited by Pat8942; 11-07-2012 at 03:38 AM.
Pat8942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:34 AM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
22r, 22re, 33x105x15, 430, 4runner, bad, damage, effect, engine, foam, gas, happen, hurt, leave, sea, seafoam, tank, toyota