Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Can I put a 22-RE from a '93 pick-up in my '86 4Runner?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I put a 22-RE from a '93 pick-up in my '86 4Runner?

First of all I'll explain my absence. I quit my job in Sacramento and took off to Santa Rosa. I left behind all my stuff so I've not been on a computer much, except at the library.

Anyways, onto the problem.

I'll skip the long story of how I came to replace the engine and just say that I needed to replace the engine. The first thing I did was call the stealership and ask them what other year engines I could use with my '86 computer. They said '85-'95 4Runner or Pick-up. I ended up buying a 22-RE that allegedly came out of a '93 Pick-up. Today was the day. We pulled the block out and started looking things over. The wire harness that came with the '93 has all kinds of stuff my old one doesn't have. It also doesn't plug into my old '86 computer. So I have to use the old harness right? Theres a lot of other differences on the new engine, like vacuum lines and whatnot.

Does anyone know if this will even work? or is it doomed?

thanks everyone!

Josh-
Old 06-24-2007, 03:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If all you need to do is to replaced the ENGINE, then strip the new engine down to a long block and bolt YOUR stuff on

86 22RE uses the early style intake, use that.
89+ use the later style intake - you cant use that w/o using the later style ECU and hanress (or alot of work that if you could do you wouldnt be asking the Q)
Old 06-24-2007, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by ewong
If all you need to do is to replaced the ENGINE, then strip the new engine down to a long block and bolt YOUR stuff on

89+ use the later style intake - you cant use that w/o using the later style ECU and hanress (or alot of work that if you could do you wouldnt be asking the Q)
This is excatly what I needed to know! Thank you so much!

Now I gotta get to work!
Old 06-24-2007, 09:48 PM

There's a mechanic at my workplace (Toyota) that's swapping in a '91 engine into an '88 body...he had to basically replace the whole wiring harness down to the dash! He also had to modify the '88 dash to fit the '91 gauge cluster. The only thing he didn't replace was the taillight harness. Alot of work! So it's a 91' pickup in an '88 body...
Old 06-25-2007, 05:38 AM

Yeah, what they are saying. The wiring harness changed, drastically in 92.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:10 PM

Crap. So my Gauges wont work?
Old 06-27-2007, 12:17 PM
Contributing Member

if you take it down to the long` block and add your original equipment then everything should still work for you
Old 06-27-2007, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by RadRacer'86
Crap. So my Gauges wont work?
Its more than gauges, its sensors and other crap for the ECU.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you really wanna play with where your sensors, and wires go, then you could probably make it work. So before you run off to Santa Rosa, stop by Rancho Cordova and pick up the parts you need, because you won't find em in 'Rosa.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:07 AM

X2 strip your 'new' engine down to the long block. then move all the accessories and sensors, only a couple of those anyhow... you won't use the intake stuff at all from the new engine. its not complicated, but just a little more work.
When you pull yours, disconnect the harness from the ecu in the passenger side kick panel , and pull it out with the motor. then make all the swaps for wiring 'out there', its much easier.
Before committing the donor engine, it would be a good idea to inspect it well. Get some gaskets, pull the oil pan, check the sludge for scraps of timing chain guides etc. I am finishing up a donor project and ended up going down to the short block, and building the donor motor back up with a good cleanout, and new timing chain set.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:59 PM

I have a similar question. I am looking at buying a 1989 22re to put in my 87 4runner. Are the two computer systems the same?
Old 06-28-2007, 01:16 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by co4rnr
I have a similar question. I am looking at buying a 1989 22re to put in my 87 4runner. Are the two computer systems the same?
nope. ALWAY reuse the factoy harness that originally came with the truck. Even if you swap an 87 for an 87 engine, the harness may be different. A little work now saves a lot of work later
Old 06-28-2007, 04:00 PM

How much of the harness do you have to use from the donor vehicle? I was told that I would have to take the intake and the exhaust manifold from my vehicle and put it on the newer engine. Is this true? Also my motor was hyro locked, it is not that bad, it knocks, but I want to swap it out before it goes and I get stranded. What damage occurs to the intake and exhaust of my motor?
Old 06-28-2007, 08:09 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
You will have to swap the entire engine harness only. Its all one assembly. You will also have to swap youir intake and exhaust manifolds. Hydrolocking an engine will not hurt the intake or exhaust manifolds.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by ewong

x1million, i went through a similar issue and ended up selling the truck.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:59 PM

Bummer. Lesson learned. Thanks, sure is better to learn through someone else than just learning the hard way. I wish I knew about taking the spark plugs out when you get water in your engine. Now mine knocks.
Old 08-05-2007, 07:30 AM

Hey everyone! I've been up in Grass Valley working very slowly on this engine swap. I know shouldn't have taken this long but I have no idea what I'm doing. And now I can't finish. Its soooo close its maddening. Whats left?

The Alternator its bracket need to go into place which will require an engine hoist. The Vacuum hoses need to be hooked up. The belts put into place. The Radiator and intake are easy but I'm saving them for last.

Is there someone in Sacramento, Ca that can help me? I'ts been over two months. I'm happy to pay you. Thanks guys!

Josh-
Old 08-05-2007, 07:45 AM

>>The Alternator its bracket need to go into place which will require an engine hoist.

????

Um... you built up the engine OUTSIDE of the truck????

what everyone was saying was.

Receiving truck:
-- unplug the wiring harness and label it with tape and push it aside to the fenderwells
-- take off the intake and exhaust manifolds
-- save all bolts in baggies and label with a sharpie pen
-- take all hoses with tape
-- use a paint pen to mark spots (the the PS vac lines) if necessary
-- strip the engine IN the truck down to the long block
-- in case yu didnt know - the long block is the
------ oil pan
------ block
------ head
------ valve cover
------ timinng chain cover
------ water pump
-- the long block does NOT have any accessories on it (PS, AC, Alt)

-- remove the rad so ya dont bung it up getting the engine in place.
-- Support the trans with stands,

Get the NEW donor block stripped to long block status.

Swap long blocks

build up accessories on the new block

This method RE USES the original intake and all ancillory stuff - so its all the same and you dont need a new ECU etc...

The BLOCKS are compatible. There are some minor variances with the later laser blocks versus the earlier blocks, but since you have an 86 it should be OK. Even if ya managed to have an earlier block - thee only difference is a change in deck height (5mm?) so the only thing that MIGHT not work is the EFI intake manifold strut brace which you might have to swap from the newer engine.

Sell the intake manifold and TB and stuff the newer engine - it might reduce yer costs of the project.

(Im in Philly so no I cant help)