Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Can the 22R EGR Crossover plate leak oil ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can the 22R EGR Crossover plate leak oil ?

I have a oil leak I thought was the rear main seal. Removed transmission and seal is bone but EGR plate is oily wet...not a massive leak but drips about a nickel size over a week. Half moons are sealed tight and dry above the egr plate. I have looked on internet and get conflicting reports bout this mystical plate on the rear of the head... I have not removed it but I have loosened all five bolts. new gasket on the way and will seal threads. But I wanna know the scoop on this thing as some say it can and others say no way.

Thanks,
22R88
Old 01-29-2016, 12:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had one leak a small amount oil, was 3 factors, I had worn out rings and the EGR gasket was all but gone and EGR was clogged. I blew smoke pretty bad before I rebuilt it. not to scare you, but somthing to think about.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:14 PM

Received 598 Likes on 438 Posts
The iron EGR plate at the back of the head seals only to coolant and exhaust passages.

It should not be possible for it to contribute to an oil leak.

Last edited by millball; 01-29-2016 at 12:21 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-30-2016, 04:02 AM

Thanks so much for the replies guys. I removed the plate and the passages was black but clear and the water jacket was spotless aluminum. Not a sign of oil anywhere I even looked at the bolt threads and was stumped. I took my powerful flashlight a looked up good at the area and lo and behold from the direct center bottom of the half moon which was blocked from view with the plate on was a small seep of oil.... Yipee !! I just need to reseal the half moon and get the new clutch in and crossover back on( gasket came off clean on the plate) and all back together.....Oh what a feeling !
Thanks again,

22R88
Old 01-30-2016, 11:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Awesome good to hear. Glad it wasn't the problem I had and easy.
Old 01-30-2016, 12:07 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I always get the gasket set with the new half moon rubber pieces.

They just seem to get hard and brittle and no matter how much silicone one uses will leak again soon.

The new rubber pieces fixed this for me.
Old 02-29-2016, 03:13 AM

Just a update may help someone answer the plate question

So we got the transmission back in the truck all together. Start it up ( did the Ford solenoid mod too while down ) and fired it up. Let it warm up a while and noticed a coolant leak tracked it to the EGR crossover plate. I had replaced the gasket but didn't get down too hard since the threads are aluminum. Tighten top bolt drivers side and left most bolt and coolant leak stopped. Clutch feels great, no noises clutch is even easier to push seems like. Take it for a spin when I get up the next am I see a few drops of oil under the trans. looking up at the oil pan it seems to be coming from each corner of the area where the rear main seal housing is, I can see the pan is dry . I think damm either the RMS or the housing gasket (all new along with a LC engineering shaft wear ring for the slight groove) ) is leaking.... wow thoughts of taking trans back out...depressing. Sleep on it and think and read Yotatech and Toyotaminis. Go clean engine good with scrubbing bubbles and wait till dry. I laid under on ramps and watch. I also pulled the starter and noticed the ring gear was dry (good sign) I then started the truck with starter out (push start) go back on ramps and I notice a drip of oil coming off the bottom driver's side bolt( dripping on bracket that holds pipe below) of the EGR crossover plate. I think just the other day I was firmly in the "it can't leak oil there camp" but I see it leaking pretty sweet crude(castrol GTX anyway). So I let it cool down and by miracle me and my brother are able to hyper extend and reach all the bolts and re tighten them. Start back up and watch no leaks !! Yipee ! took for a spin and let it sit overnight just went check it and other than a little residual ( I think ) in the crack between the block and trans no drops on concrete so I think we are good. So I guess whoever said that the EGR bolt hole threads in the head tie into the oil passages knew what they were talking bout. Can I tell ya I hate a oil leak. BTW I have cranked it probably a dozen times since starter mod and it has yet to "click" Always cranks !! Oh what a feeling Toyota !!! Thanks Yotatech and Toyotaminis for the assistance.

22R88

Last edited by 22R88; 02-29-2016 at 03:07 PM.