Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
or hooker
Old 03-05-2015, 10:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Doug Thorleys
Old 03-09-2015, 07:36 PM
BMJ

Ok, kid is going to get some headers, but what about the pipe that fits to the headers, cat, and rear muffler.

Is there a "Kit" that has it all ready to bolt on???

BJ
Old 03-10-2015, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by BMJ
Ok, kid is going to get some headers, but what about the pipe that fits to the headers, cat, and rear muffler.

Is there a "Kit" that has it all ready to bolt on???

BJ
my doug thorley headers came with two exhaust manifolds (headers),a mid pipe that connects both headers to the stock catalytic converter location , but as far as rear muffler kit for the first gen 4runner theres only one out there still being sold its made by dynomax performance you can find them at summit racing website its a muffler with a one piece tubing that have mandrel bends and hangs at all the factory hangers for like a 100 bucks!!! you will also need a Intermediate Pipe($15)also at summit racing that one end connects to the stock catalytic converter the other end slips into the muffler kit only reason i didnt get it is its only 2" tubing and made of steel/aluminize which is probably ok for the 3vze but not sure how it will hold up against long term bad weather and i wanted to run 2 1/4" tubing . but besides this kit you would have to buy a unviersal style muffler and have the muffler shop bend you some pipes and make there own kit using your old hangers which is not cheap and you wont even get mandrel bend tubing , so for the money this dynomax performance muffler kit doesn't sound so bad after all

Last edited by clok; 03-10-2015 at 02:58 AM.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:51 AM
BMJ

Many thanks Clok, will forward to the son.!

BJ
Old 03-10-2015, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by clok
my doug thorley headers came with two exhaust manifolds (headers),a mid pipe that connects both headers to the stock catalytic converter location , but as far as rear muffler kit for the first gen 4runner theres only one out there still being sold its made by dynomax performance you can find them at summit racing website its a muffler with a one piece tubing that have mandrel bends and hangs at all the factory hangers for like a 100 bucks!!! you will also need a Intermediate Pipe($15)also at summit racing that one end connects to the stock catalytic converter the other end slips into the muffler kit only reason i didnt get it is its only 2" tubing and made of steel/aluminize which is probably ok for the 3vze but not sure how it will hold up against long term bad weather and i wanted to run 2 1/4" tubing . but besides this kit you would have to buy a unviersal style muffler and have the muffler shop bend you some pipes and make there own kit using your old hangers which is not cheap and you wont even get mandrel bend tubing , so for the money this dynomax performance muffler kit doesn't sound so bad after all
Was it worth the upgrade? I've been thinking about doing this but I have to convince the wife it's worth the $600 or so that it costs...
Old 03-10-2015, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by KBAM
Was it worth the upgrade? I've been thinking about doing this but I have to convince the wife it's worth the $600 or so that it costs...
not really sure because I bought my runner with a motor that was burning three quarts of oil a month and no power , I then bought a 3vze with ported heads bigger cam , over size valves and a bunch of other upgrades and not sure how much difference the headers made but it runs nice and strong , but I heard its a good idea to run headers
In the 3vze to help avoid head gasket issue these motors are known to have , so tell the wife about that lol !!
Old 03-10-2015, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by clok
not really sure because I bought my runner with a motor that was burning three quarts of oil a month and no power , I then bought a 3vze with ported heads bigger cam , over size valves and a bunch of other upgrades and not sure how much difference the headers made but it runs nice and strong , but I heard its a good idea to run headers
In the 3vze to help avoid head gasket issue these motors are known to have , so tell the wife about that lol !!
Right on, I've been thinking about it for a couple days and decided to pull the trigger. Wife was surprisingly okay with this... I'm actually doing a hg job right now so I'm already there. Heads come back this week and headers will be here Thursday. That stock crossover design is terrible!!!!
Old 03-11-2015, 06:38 PM
BMJ

Ok, well my kiddo is ordering the parts Clok recommended. Another thank you there for your response He does not want to give up the beasty Runner. Getting the engine rebuilt over there in the Dallas area. I got him the Truck in '07. I told him, the headers will help the heat issue. He loves it. I've had a '98 Runner since new. It is my daily driver now at 187k miles. A/C still cold!! Sure, abit more rattles but everything works! Gas milage has actually went up 2mpg! I run a scangauge on her. Is it me or do the older ones seem better built?

bj
Old 03-11-2015, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by BMJ
Ok, well my kiddo is ordering the parts Clok recommended. Another thank you there for your response He does not want to give up the beasty Runner. Getting the engine rebuilt over there in the Dallas area. I got him the Truck in '07. I told him, the headers will help the heat issue. He loves it. I've had a '98 Runner since new. It is my daily driver now at 187k miles. A/C still cold!! Sure, abit more rattles but everything works! Gas milage has actually went up 2mpg! I run a scangauge on her. Is it me or do the older ones seem better built? bj
all Toyota trucks are solid in general , but I do have a thing for the older ones simple and well built to last as proven all over the world.
And those Doug Thorley headers come ceramic coated too !! He should notice a better throttle response for sure