Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

cabin water leak? near driver side kick panel

Old 12-23-2010, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cabin water leak? near driver side kick panel

Here in the PNW we've had a lot of rain lately. About 2 weeks ago, during a heavy rainstorm I stupidly left open my rear extra cab window, was parked on a hill so that the window was facing a bit 'up'.

Needless to say, I got a lot of water that night. I haven't been able to dry it out completely. I've been spraying Lysol to keep the bacteria down and will try to get it dry soon. So, that's the background. I have a new problem, though.

The last 2 days we've gotten a lot more rain (and yes, I've got the windows rolled up).

But what is new, and worrisome, is that I discovered a small 2-3 inch area of soaked carpet just under the driver side kick panel.

Now, I don't think the rain I let in that night with the window open is what is causing the water, unless water in the cab tends to drain towards the front (I've since parked the truck on level ground).

I've read one post where someone said their windshield was leaking water into the driver's side above the kick panel. But I haven't had any leaks before, and I don't drive the truck too much, so I'm thinking it's not that.

My question is whether you all have experienced leaks that end up at that spot before, and if so, what did you determine was the leak.

Oh, I don't have a sun roof so there shouldn't be any tubes that drain down, right?
Old 12-23-2010, 02:37 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
look up under the dash to see if the leak is coming from where the clutch mastercylinder push rod goes through the firewall.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:41 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
That OR.. Coming through the windshield.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:48 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I had a leak near the passenger side kick panel that was the windshield (leaked onto the ECU and wouldn't start, was able to save it with a rubbing alcohol flush), but could easily be the same thing on the driver side. Is your windshield and/or the trim that goes around it original?
Old 12-23-2010, 03:04 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Welcome to the leak club. You may have rust in your windshield channel
Name:  IMG_2885.jpg
Views: 3065
Size:  95.7 KB
Pull the seats and carpet, or at least raise the carpet and get a fan in there. Good luck.
Name:  _MG_4274_2.jpg
Views: 2519
Size:  75.6 KB
Old 12-23-2010, 03:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
x2 on the windshield leak. You probably got a corner rusting out under the trim. Use a hose around the trim to confirm.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:09 PM

I found my water leaks to be coming from the cab joints under the dash were Toyota failed to use seam sealer all the way around.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:31 PM

Thanks All. I have no idea if the windshield is original or not. I'll take a look around when I get some daylight. Thanks for your posts.

Have any of you tried desiccant? Desiccant is the generic term for the stuff the y call DampRid. DampRid disintegrates, but there are other crystallized form of desiccant that absorbs water. It's looks like large chunks of salt. That might get a lot of the water up and I can then vacuum it.

I'm gonna give it a try as I don't have a dry place to open it up and get a fan on it.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Teuf
Welcome to the leak club. You may have rust in your windshield channel

Were you able to fix that? How did that go?
Old 12-23-2010, 07:20 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
That was about a year ago. The windshield guy installed new glass and sealed. About a month ago when I washed truck there was a leak there. Guy come out and resealed that area via the inside. Still leaks a bit, I cover the cab and glass during rain. My next move will be to weld in new channels all around, and or really look at where else water can come in.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:55 PM

Well damn. Found some water up inside the cab, dripping off a nut that part of the dash affixed to, just above that diver kick panel.

What does it cost to get something like that fixed? I need to pull the dash apart to fix a few thongs (CEL burned out, heater fan only working on high, might install a new radio) so I might be able to see where the leak is coming from and confirm it's the window.

My hunch is that the windshield has to come out, unless some of you can point me to a quick fix.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:12 PM

I sealed mine up by givin'er with some black silicone. been holding up for 3 months. See how long it holds up for.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:46 PM
Banned

I have that danm window problem too

I got tired of the moldy rotting carpet, just pulled ALL of it out today. That will hold me off untill summer.

Any pics of anyone fixing this problem?
Old 12-26-2010, 07:20 AM

I welded in new metal on the areas that had rusted out. The channel got two coats of urethane primer before installing the windshield. I then filled the remaining gap with urethane roofing caulk and left the trim off. The roofing caulk looks like trim and now there's no place for water and dirt to collect to cause any future rust.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:36 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by briholt
Thanks All. I have no idea if the windshield is original or not.
I'm not sure, someone correct me if I am wrong, but wont the original windshield have Toyota printed on the lower corner?
Old 12-26-2010, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by 2DoorRunner
I have that danm window problem too

I got tired of the moldy rotting carpet, just pulled ALL of it out today. That will hold me off untill summer.

Any pics of anyone fixing this problem?
Here is a good thread on replacing a windshield.

I sure would like to see a picture of these rusting channels people are talking about....
Old 12-26-2010, 07:17 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Leaking windshield. Replace and reseal and fix any rust.

Cowl in hood clogged up.

Firewall plugs drilled or dry rotted.

All those things will cause leaks in kick panel.

:wabbit2:
Old 12-26-2010, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Leaking windshield. Replace and reseal and fix any rust.

Cowl in hood clogged up.

Firewall plugs drilled or dry rotted.

All those things will cause leaks in kick panel.

:wabbit2:

Thanks man, here is another potential leak source

Here is a single pic from that thread to give an idea:

Old 12-27-2010, 04:36 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by InternetRoadkill
I welded in new metal on the areas that had rusted out. The channel got two coats of urethane primer before installing the windshield. I then filled the remaining gap with urethane roofing caulk and left the trim off. The roofing caulk looks like trim and now there's no place for water and dirt to collect to cause any future rust.
x2, - the welding. I've replaced or reinforced all rubber windshield gaskets on my rigs with silicone. Clean loose metal, sand down scaled rust, coat with rust converting primer or red chainsaw bar oil, run blue tape around the perimeter of the metal and glass, load it with caulking, level with a putty knife, peel the tape.

Looks as good as a factory seal and works a lot better. A lot of hardware store silicone is garbage though, if you plan on keeping the rig for a while spring for Dow Corning 795 or 995, it's what they use to glaze skyscraper windows and will never fail.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:24 PM

Pics inside dash

So, I went ahead and started pulling a few things apart. This picture here is the base of my driver side Dash, which sets you up to know what you are looking at in the next picture.

this is where I think the water is coming from. It's behind the driver side vent. I have no idea what that thing is called (the part that's covered in rust)

I'm beginning to think it's not my window that is leaking, but the cowling, or the part above the left-front tire.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: cabin water leak? near driver side kick panel