86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

ca smog help

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 06:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ca smog help

My rig is a 1991 toyota 4 runner with the 22re / 5 speed. I have checked my egr valve my o2 sensor is good brand new cat. after the new cat was put on it made the no go up even higher any advice tips or tricks guys thanks

also one of my friends was helping me look at it the timing is dead on but one injectors is louder than the others possibly spitting.
please helpif you can thanks. has any one on here tried a fuel additve called " garanteed to pass" and if so how did it work? thanks guys
Old 10-08-2010, 08:56 PM

Well after you spend $450 in repairs (which it sounds like you have) you are allowed a automatic pass for 2 years because you have spent enough to get a waiver. Here is a link with the info http://www.smogtips.com/register_your_car.cfm

Last edited by SoCal; 10-08-2010 at 08:59 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:12 PM

wow never thought any thing like that was even possible. so i think i will do the caps program up to five hundred. then take the waver if it does not pass. that makes my biggest concern is how long my truck will be grounded for.

thanks bro have you done this and if so how long did it take you ?
Old 10-08-2010, 09:24 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
I moved to Commyfornia last year. Never had smog in NH. So my tags ( NH ) were still ok but I got a smog test anyway, in anticipation of the day I would need it. I failed. I then got a new cat and did timing, Passed. Thank goodness.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:35 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
check your egr again also the vsv and modulator for the egr
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
Copy of emissions.bmp (48.2 KB, 90 views)
File Type: bmp
Copy of emmisions 2.bmp (48.2 KB, 80 views)

Last edited by RMA; 10-08-2010 at 09:46 PM.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:43 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
i was stationed in cali for about 6years with my 85 pickup 22re. new plugs and wires, fuel injector cleaner, and fresh slightly heavier oil (at the time i think i was using 20-50Maxlife).
The truck doctor, Jim Edderer, at Protrux gave me a couple tips.....: get a restrictor "neck down" coupling for the tip of your exhaust (mine was from 2.5" down to 2" i think.... not alot but enough to build alittle more exhaust back pressure to open up the interior egr system vaccum more.... and I can't remember but advance or retard the timing just slightly...?!? I'm sorry i can't remember which or how much or why but it works.

Same engine smoged fine for 6 years after getting stationed there from Oregon. On the way back there soon so if any one knows the timing thing let me know.

Oh, and run premium with that "guarentee to pass" for about a hundered miles just before you go in, make sure it's nice and hot when you take it in there......
Old 10-09-2010, 02:50 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
If NOx is high then it means EGR or Cat. Since you've replaced the cat, you really need to pull the EGR valve off and give it a cleaning. If its full of crap then its a good possibility the port that passes through the intake plenum is full of gunk too. This doesn't allow for sufficent flow of EGR gasses back into the plenum.

Also, verify that the EGR is working by putting a vacuum line directly to the top of the valve (diaphragm). The little black plastic fitting on the plenum with 3 prongs is a good place to put your hose for vacuum. 1 port should be plugged, so pull that plug off and attach your vac hose to the top of the EGR. You should get a rough idle. If not then either your diaphragm is blown, the valve itself is clogged with carbon, or the passageway of EGR gasses have been restricted by the black carbon goo stuff.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by BajaRunner
If NOx is high then it means EGR or Cat. Since you've replaced the cat, you really need to pull the EGR valve off and give it a cleaning. If its full of crap then its a good possibility the port that passes through the intake plenum is full of gunk too. This doesn't allow for sufficent flow of EGR gasses back into the plenum.

Also, verify that the EGR is working by putting a vacuum line directly to the top of the valve (diaphragm). The little black plastic fitting on the plenum with 3 prongs is a good place to put your hose for vacuum. 1 port should be plugged, so pull that plug off and attach your vac hose to the top of the EGR. You should get a rough idle. If not then either your diaphragm is blown, the valve itself is clogged with carbon, or the passageway of EGR gasses have been restricted by the black carbon goo stuff.

I had to do that when i rebuilt my first toyota it was a 1985 22r. it was a lot of work back then and it probaly needs to be done on my 1991 22re 4 runner. to make it pass.

thanks for the tips guys also if you think of any thing else let me know
Old 10-09-2010, 05:34 PM
Contributing Member

I've taken the intake plenum off a few times now and it probably only takes me about 15 minutes. I know its harder when you do something the first time or in a while but I think it would be worth it, and you'll see its not that bad. Just snap pictures of all your vacuum lines and label them. The truck will run a lot better too with the entire intake cleaned out!
Old 10-09-2010, 11:33 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
"after the new cat was put on it made the NO go up even higher any advice tips or tricks guys thanks "

yea the results would help alot .. i only offered on the No since he did say it went up .
NOx = something wrong with Egr,Cat , vsv for egr or egr modulator..
Old 10-10-2010, 06:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You already answered your own question. I assume that you are talking about a misfiring fuel injector when you say that it is "spitting." If a fuel injector is leaking, or firing at the wrong time, it will cause high noX.

Nox is the result of an overly lean condition, which would mean that either your fuel injector is misfiring, and therefore leaning your combustion out. Yes, it can fail noX on one misfiring cylinder, that's what happened to my 3vze, i'm sure the issue would be more compounded on a 22re.

Just like stated above, your egr valve is another possibility. If it is stuck closed with carbon build up, it will cause high noX.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:28 PM

recap

so if my concerns were right that it is a bad injector. (based on one being louder than all the injectors)

(so yes during all these test HC were passing and CO was passing but the NO failed failed failed failed failed and then failed some more.)

first test
15 miles per hour-max 707--meas707 pass
25 miles per hour-max 609--meas651 failed

i drove the truck like i was running from the cops for 15 min pulled back in to the smog shop and got

and got this
second test
15 miles per hour max 707--meas 799 failed
25 miles per hour max 609--mean 608 pass

since the oxygen sensor is good and the egr valve is working gotta be the cat. . .

3rd test after new cat

15 miles per hour max 707 meas 979 failed
25 miles per hour max 609 meas 1259 failed

so i said to my self what the f*$% !!!
test #4 and final test before parking my truck in the garage.

15 miles per hour max 707 meas 1095 failed
25 miles per hour max 609 meas 1253 failed

i was wondering did this happen because I am Jewish ? what gives? eeffin ca natzi's

so i think it is reduced back presure from the new cat causing the egr to not work as well. why the NO was higher for the 3rd and 4th test. and injector spitting causing the truck to lean out ? it was so close to passing the first couple times.

so i think fix the injector, clean the egr valve out, and replace the oxygen sensor to be on the safe side.

the reason why i use yota tech is by doing this i have learned that i can get a smog waver I never thought that was possible also you guys tend to either confirm what i need to do or point me in the right direction.

with that said THANK YOU !

Last edited by Joshua4507; 10-10-2010 at 09:37 PM.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:48 AM

same boat as you dude, failed in NOx only and i replaced my cat and it got worse... hope we can figure this crap out lol
Old 10-13-2010, 04:30 PM

well i get paid friday so check back saturday and we might have our answers
Old 10-13-2010, 06:35 PM
Contributing Member

Oh wow. That is weird. ;(

Running lean will cause high NOx, but not in those numbers. Are you positive EGR is working? Have you tried looking at the FSM and following its test procedures? Applied vacuum to the EGR and had noticeable idle drop/chug (thats a good thing).