86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

A/C Kicks Off in High Heat

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/C Kicks Off in High Heat

I have searched around and can't find the problems that I am experiencing. I have a 94 3.0 which blows ice cold A/C. I have taken a couple of trips to Arizona from Cali in the past week. My Temp guage usually reads a little below half way most of the time. I was driving in the middle of the day and when the temp guage moved up towards the center the A/C would kick off and warm air would blow. A few miles down the road it would come back on for a few miles and then kick off again. Is there a Temp sensor that automatically kicks off the A/C at a certain engine temperature? The fan clutch seemed to be cycling on quite often. Is this typical of this vehicle? Are there any fixes? Once again my A/C blows ice cold but kicks off once the temp guage moves to the halfway mark. Thanks for all the help.

Jeff
Old 07-21-2007, 10:22 PM

toyota a/c great most of the time

i had the same problem on my 1987 22r and 1990 22re trucks. only on the hottest most humid days after a couple hours of running the a/c would just conk out. the air coming out of the vents would get warm and un-dry.
turned off for a few minutes, continued driving, tried button again and it was like it never happened. some thing must be getting frozen. didnt seem to have anything to do with the temp guage. a 4 runner i drove to vegas did the same thing you describe about conking out on uphill grades. it was not mine so i dont know its history. i never felt the need to investigate further because it was only one or two times. anyway, guess that wasnt much help.

Last edited by ernest t bass; 07-21-2007 at 11:30 PM.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:57 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
It's either overcharged or the outside air temperature is really hot.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:12 AM

^Yeah what he said^ or maybe the condensing coil needs to be sprayed out? your truck is cycling on the high pressure switch most likely.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:13 AM

The outside temperature was really hot. I was running the I10 Fwy from Cali to Phoenix. It was about 116*. Like I said it would blow warm for a few miles and then blow cold.

"maybe the condensing coil needs to be sprayed out? your truck is cycling on the high pressure switch most likely."

What are the procedures to spraying out the condensor?

What high preasure switch are you talking about?

Thanks

Jeff
Old 07-22-2007, 12:17 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The silver radiator thing up front under the grill is the condenser. Make sure its clean and free of debris.

The high pressure switch measures the gas pressure inside the a/c system. If the pressure gets too high, it disables the compressor. Extreme outside temperatures can raise the pressure inside the a/c system and trigger the switch.
Old 07-22-2007, 12:40 PM

Its the engine temp A/C switch.Better get flushed and/ or see why its running warm.Do you have an auto trans?
Old 07-22-2007, 03:16 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 3yotys
Its the engine temp A/C switch.Better get flushed and/ or see why its running warm.Do you have an auto trans?
Yeah the autos have a switch to shut off the AC if the coolant temp gets too high. The switch can be by-passed, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:12 PM

The condensor is clean. It is an Auto but the vehicle does not seem to be running hot. The guage always stays at about where the squigly line is next to the thermometer on the guage. When I was on this trip, it would slowly move to the half way point. I had it flushed and a new thermastat when I had the timing belt replaced about 6 months ago. I think the coolant temp is triggering the a/c to cycle on and off. I don't know if that is a unreasonably high temp or not. Once again, the guage never goes higher then halfway. The tranny light has never come on either. The tranny was flushed at the same time the radiator was. Fresh oil change recently as well. Any other thoughts?
Old 07-22-2007, 07:13 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by zbadboy69
Once again, the guage never goes higher then halfway. The tranny light has never come on either. The tranny was flushed at the same time the radiator was. Fresh oil change recently as well. Any other thoughts?
The factory gauges don't show above halfway until it gets very hot. I've had my coolant up to 230 deg F and the factory gauge still showed halfway.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:27 PM

I just don't think it is running hot. Maybe a little warm but not over heating. Does not bubble or steam or anything. Once again recent flush (used OEM Pink Radiator Fluid) New T-Stat, Fresh Flush on the Tranny, Fresh oil change. Shouldn't it run around 185? What is considered damaging hot?
Old 07-23-2007, 02:36 AM

is the compressor actually shutting off when this happens? i had a truck that for some reason the evaporator would freeze solid, when this happens the compressor would still run. had to shut it down for a while to let the ice melt.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:54 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm having the same problem. Ever since I had the head gasket replaced, my temp gauge has been different: it takes longer for my engine to reach operating temperature, and in really hot weather the gauge occasionally goes slightly to the right (H) of center and the A/C shuts off. Otherwise the A/C blows very cold. I notice it happening, especially when sitting at long traffic lights -- temp gauge climbs and A/C shuts off, as soon as I start moving and the gauge drops the A/C comes back on. Should I try a different thermostat? The first thermostat (after the head gasket job) would hardly let the engine ever get to OP temp, and now this one is letting the temp vary more than the original.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:06 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by zbadboy69
I just don't think it is running hot. Maybe a little warm but not over heating. Does not bubble or steam or anything. Once again recent flush (used OEM Pink Radiator Fluid) New T-Stat, Fresh Flush on the Tranny, Fresh oil change. Shouldn't it run around 185? What is considered damaging hot?
Well if you're waiting for steam or bubbles that doesn't happen until the coolant boils. A good coolant may not boil until about 260 deg.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:27 PM

4mydogs makes a good point. What is the ideal thermastat? I was told by my mechanic, when they did the flush, it was missing the thermastat. Makes me wonder if the PO removed it because it was running hot. The motor is a used import motor and runs very strong. I do remember it taking a long time to reach operating temperature before they installed the tstat. The guage always sets about a 1/8 or 1/4 " left of center. On these recent trips in the desert is when it has moved to the center and kicked the a/c off. It has not done it in stop and go traffic. Maybe it is a result of the high temp in the engine compartment combined with the high heat I experienced in the desert on my trip