Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Buzz in Airbox

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buzz in Airbox

I have a 22re. Just rebuilt the head. Got it up and running but not so smooth. A few questions. I now have some sort of buzz coming from the air box cleaner at low idle. Also got a tapping noise, valves need adjustment maybe? One last thing i have two different papers saying how to install distributor. One says to install with crank timming indicator at zero the other says five. I did distributor in while crank was on five. Distributor was set at 12 then rolled over to number one cylinder. is this correct or should I have put the distributor in at the 12 oclock position while the crank indicated zero?

Thanks in advance, Steve
Old 05-03-2007, 08:59 PM

the Air Injection system uses a Vacuum switching valve solenoid that is turned on by the ECU at low idle that opens a solenoid to allow to be sucked thru a reed vave located lower front of the plenum, that sucks air from your airbox. it is supposed to make this sound. and you probly didnt have it hooked up before.

watch the valves. turn the #1 piston to top dead center. visually reference where the #1 spark plug wire goes from your cap to the distributor body. line up the hall effect gear on your distributor with the sensor in that visuall position. put the dist in the hole. make the dist teeth just touch the cam gear. turn the dist gears counter clocwise two teeth. insert it all the way. it will turn clockwise to the right position.
insatll valve cover, jump te1 and e1 terminals and time to 5 degrees.

simple
Old 05-04-2007, 03:27 PM

Updated

Ok the sound in the air box is coming from the intake area. its traveling down the air tube and into the air box and that is why I hear it there. It does it at low idle about 900 to 1K rpm but not at idle. its amplifed because of the large plastic air box. Its not really a buzz either. Hard to describe it really. When the noise stops a puff of air is ejected from the VSV. I unplugged the VSV and the sound is gone. Does anyone know what is going on involving this sucking noise or blowing noise I hear in the airbox and the VSV? As far as the timing issue goes I inserted the distributer according to the PDF file I got from this website (http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...sm/engine.html) and timed it at 5 degrees with the light while jumping the terminals. Runs good but still has a chatter that sounds like its on top of the engine and near the rear. Valves or injectors maybe?

Thanks Guys
Old 05-04-2007, 03:31 PM

I should have mentioned this before. The VSV is the one for the pair valve.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:39 PM

Follow up

Ok for some reason the second post I made didn't get posted. I timed the truck today and it runs much better. Followed the PDF file i got from (http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...m/engine.html). Still has the clatter or tapp at the rear of the head area. Head was rebuilt prior to installation. But back to the sound in the air box. I described it as a buzz thats not really a good description. Sounds more like a sucking or blowing and it is being heard in the air box but it is traveling down the air tube from the intake area. It does it at about 900 to 1K rpm. When it stops a puff of air is heard from the VSV for the pair valve. I unplug the VSV and the noise no longer exsists what is going one concerning the VSV for the pair and the noise?

Thanks