86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

bumper replacement guidelines

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bumper replacement guidelines

Had this truck less than 2 months, and someone's already hit it. Was hit+run earlier this week, on the back corner. Bumper took most of the impact, but I'm concerned.

As you can see, the bumpers been bent and distorted, and the brackets to the frame are bent. Should I be worried about the frame too?
Also worried about the back axle/diff. was quite an impact, apparantly (the cops said the other persons car was a mess - that'll be the 3" lift) So I'm concerned about the driveshaft, diff and axle (since the vehicle had been sitting for 5 years, now this sudden shock)

Am I worrying needlessly over the transmission? (and what size socket do I need to get the filling ports open on the transmisson stuff to check things like the oil?)
Old 09-28-2012, 09:06 PM

Received 216 Likes on 158 Posts
From what I understand the brackets are made to bend upon impact and this is why they are made to bend down. Remove the bumper and check the frame around the bolt holes.

From the damage I doubt anything else was effected or the bumper would be way lower.

Why are you worried about the diff?? Did the car go under and hit your tires?? Otherwise nothing with the rear end should be effected. You say it hit the corner, are you saying the car hit the tire and the bumper?

Also you say a hit and run but the cop says he saw the other car, did they catch them and they have no insurance? Might give some more info most of this confuses me the more I read it.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:30 PM

The truck was parked. They hit it on the back corner going right to left in the picture above. I wasn't there (it was when my wife was in class, campus cops came and got her) and the impact had shunted the back end around. I know some RWD diffs can not like that kind of load (I used to run volvo 340s, lovely RWD cars but a lateral load could shred a diff). That's also why the bumper is about 5 inches offset now (look at the towball in relation to the license plate)

I've only had the truck 2 months, so I don't know much about it yet.

Also I'm worried about 'repair costs' being greater than 'worth' and the insurance company writing it off. So I'm just wanting to cover all my bases.

And yes, the cops did catch them, a day later (there were witnesses) They admitted is, we're prosecuting but they've also mentioned they might be interested in paying for repairs direct, rather than through insurance.

So TF;DR
don't really know much about the truck and it's weaknesses, wanting to know as much as possible before I make a decision on anything.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:07 PM

I'm willing to bet your damage is just to the bumper.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:47 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Time for a marlin or some other bumper.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:31 AM

Received 216 Likes on 158 Posts
Stock bumper at the dealer costs 360 and it comes with everything, if you want to check to see if there was any other damage and you don't think you are comfortable doing it yourself go get an estimate at a respected repair shop, it will be free and you can tell if its worth insurance or not with the end result. If your deductible is 1000 and all you need is a bumper tell these hit and runners to go buy you one or tell them to give you cash if all is needed is a bumper.

I wouldn't be worried about much else by the looks of the pics or your bumper would be way worse but again i'm just looking at a pic. As said above if you have wheelin armor plans for the truck now is a good time to get aftermarket if you decide to let them give you cash and not involve insurance.

Good luck let us know what happens
Old 09-29-2012, 06:16 AM

Had some front end damage the other day to my baby... less than 5 hours after I took my brush guard off to have it sandblasted.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:39 AM

Thanks all
As I said, lack of experience with the truck and my last RWD experience had problems with this sort of impact. My other issue is I'm NOT American, but British originally. I've never had to deal with insurance or repair shops in the 9 years I've lived here (my wife has, but that was 14 years ago)

And no, no plans on really gong hardcore offroad, although we do live on a dirt road in rural Ga, which can mean my road turns into this http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3...s/FILE0017.jpg