Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

bumper question

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 05:45 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bumper question

im wanting new bumpers on my rig, and want the tube style cause i like the look and they're cheap. i was just going to go to 4WheelParts and have them throw on a pair, but they said that they no longer make bumpers for my truck. the sales person said i would most likely need to get some for a jeep wrangler, and have them custom fab the brackets so it mounts up. i also was looking on a website that kinda made it seem like i would need to get bumpers for a jeep wrangler.

my question is does this sound about right to anyone else?? isnt the width of a wrangler a little smaller than my truck? and if so wont that bumper look a little stupid?

yes i have thought of finding someone local to just build me a pair, but i havent looked into it at all, so i have no clue how much they would charge. the bumpers from 4WheelParts were i believe about $189 each.

if anyone here has any input that would be great, cause im looking to get this done in the next week or so. and if anyone has had some custom bumpers made, how much did you end up paying for em. thanks!
Old 04-30-2007, 05:49 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
There are some companies that make them for your truck.

Try Marlin:
http://www.marlincrawler.com/

Try AllPro:
http://www.allprooffroad.com/
Old 04-30-2007, 05:53 PM

I have a set up smitty built tube bumpers that would fit your truck. Too bad you aren't closer to Michigan. Rear bumper has a 2" receiver hitch. Anyone that's close and wants them, let me know.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:20 PM

i have read about some fitiment issues with all-pro stuff...but their products are still nice....marlins are nice, but they are backordered if i remember correctly...i think there is another company that posts on here regulary...Blazen Offroad? they make tube bumpers for decent prices
Old 04-30-2007, 06:20 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Elvota
There are some companies that make them for your truck.

Try Marlin:
http://www.marlincrawler.com/

Try AllPro:
http://www.allprooffroad.com/

yes youre right, both places make bumpers for my truck, problem is; allprooffroad's bumpers are $399 for the front and $299 for the rear!
marlincrawler's bumpers dont look like what im really looking for, and theyre on the pricy side too at $249-$549 each!

im looking for anything cheaper than what ive already seen at $189 from 4wheelparts
Old 04-30-2007, 06:25 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by darkteg94
I have a set up smitty built tube bumpers that would fit your truck. Too bad you aren't closer to Michigan. Rear bumper has a 2" receiver hitch. Anyone that's close and wants them, let me know.
whats your zip code up there in your neck of the woods, im interested into seeing how much shipping would cost me to send a call tag to your place to pick them up and ship them to me. also give me a rough estimate of weight please.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:00 AM

i've got a MC rear bumper and love it. it took about 10 days from order to door step. you may want to check out: bigrockoff road, 4xinovations, CBI offraod, and i think there are few others....try google.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:13 AM
Contributing Member

Location: Houston (home), Atlanta (school), Cincinnati (work)
Originally Posted by robcogliani26
yes youre right, both places make bumpers for my truck, problem is; allprooffroad's bumpers are $399 for the front and $299 for the rear!
marlincrawler's bumpers dont look like what im really looking for, and theyre on the pricy side too at $249-$549 each!

im looking for anything cheaper than what ive already seen at $189 from 4wheelparts
all i can say is you get what you pay for. my front tube bumper i got used for $275, it cost more than that custom the first time around. i would not go to 4wp for your bumper/custom fitment work. actually, unless buying an arb at a good price, i just wouldn't go to 4wp at all about it. youre going to have to spend a good amount for bumpers if you want actual quality and strength and looks. i doubt the jeep thing would work out nicely.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:38 PM

I'm ready to spend an easy grand on a front bumper, rear bumper, and sliders. I believe you get what you pay for and also the many different looks of a custom bumper.

I want to fab fender protection into my bumpers and sliders, but it's worth the money to have a quality product that can handle the abuse offroad.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:50 PM

with the tube bumpers from allpro and marlin you could pick up the whole truck with a hi-lift, the smittybilt bumpers? I'd be surprised if they didnt bend

Last edited by fthertime666; 05-02-2007 at 06:51 PM.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:42 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by fthertime666
with the tube bumpers from allpro and marlin you could pick up the whole truck with a hi-lift, the smittybilt bumpers? I'd be surprised if they didnt bend
really? are the smitty's that weak? ive never bought bumpers before, and i didnt know that they fall into the "you get what you pay for" category. i guess damn near everything does though.
i was just hoping to get a new, more aggressive look on my rig via some new bumpers for as cheap as possible... not to mention mine are kinda on their last leg.
im more so looking to do this ASAP.... by memorial day at the latest! cause i will be meeting lots of friends down in moab that weekend and want my truck looking as good as possible. some of my other friends have newer tacomas and give me crap about having an older toyota... i want them to think that my old truck still looks and performs like a champ.

Last edited by Spanky; 05-02-2007 at 08:54 PM.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:45 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by fthertime666

The ☺☺☺☺tybilts also rust like CRAZY! every single one I have seen has had rust on it, some so bad that the bumper is a total loss.

I would love a MC rear bumper, they look ver nice

Last edited by Jay351; 05-02-2007 at 08:46 PM.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:53 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Jay351
The ☺☺☺☺tybilts also rust like CRAZY! every single one I have seen has had rust on it, some so bad that the bumper is a total loss.

I would love a MC rear bumper, they look ver nice
ive seen tube style bumpers with mad crazy rust on them... with the truck or 4runner looking just fine, no rust. are you telling me that those rusty old pieces of crap are actually not so old smitty bumpers ??
Old 05-02-2007, 09:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
pretty much..they rusted from the inside out. bad paint and shotty construction from the factory, why do you think they went belly up?
They also charged an arm and a leg.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:12 PM
Contributing Member

speaking of going belly up, from my understanding is that 4wheelparts have bought out smittybuilt. so maybe its gone from bad to worse?
i havent had too much experince with 4wheelparts, except i had them put on my body lift and my friend bought some wheels and tires from them.
it seems like they are always trying to take you for everything they can. me and my friend included. i will go on if anyone wants to know.

Last edited by Spanky; 05-02-2007 at 09:13 PM.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:02 PM

ya man i had smittybuilts on my old rig. can't say they rusted, but they did bend very easily. i got rearended and while the tubes protected my body/frame, they got owned by the taco that hit me. i assessed the damage (or lack there of) and i got him to pay me a large sum of money to not report it since he had no insurance. wow story time's over. i need to