Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Build Questions: 22R-TE

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Build Questions: 22R-TE

I am going have to rebuild my 22R-TE pretty soon, and I would like to do it right. Other than machine shop work I can do all the break down and assembly myself. I just have some simple questions so I can start pricing and planning this.
1) What are pros/cons of boring out my cylinders? .02, .03, .04?
2) What advantages would I get from modifying the cam? IE a ‘Street RV’ Cam from Engnbldr? What else do I need to change if I did this?
3) Reliability vs. Power Gain from oversized valves? .024, .033?
4) Have a rebuilt CT26 form a 7M, worth it to find a better header/manifold? Have the stock injectors cleaned/rebuilt or upgrade to larger injectors? (Don’t want to mess with electronics if I don’t have to)
I have basic info on most of this, and I am searching. You don’t have to spell out the answer if you don’t want to but if you can point me towards a thread that will, its much appreciated.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:28 PM

Bump.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:36 PM
MSR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dude all the good 22rte info is over at www.22rte-trucks.com
Old 05-21-2012, 04:47 PM

1) What are pros/cons of boring out my cylinders? .02, .03, .04?
Only reason to do this is to have the cylinders back into spec is all. No power gains at all with such small increases.

2) What advantages would I get from modifying the cam? IE a ‘Street RV’ Cam from Engnbldr? What else do I need to change if I did this?
I use the 261C cam from engnbldr with my turbo 22re and seems to do well. Seems to have no overlap which is good for a turbo motor.

3) Reliability vs. Power Gain from oversized valves? .024, .033?
Helps flow more air. Typically a good port n' polish job on the head goes hand in hand with bigger valves. The more air you can flow the more power can be made.

4) Have a rebuilt CT26 form a 7M, worth it to find a better header/manifold? Have the stock injectors cleaned/rebuilt or upgrade to larger injectors?
The CT26 is a common upgrade for the 22RTE. Flows a bit more air as to the CT20 and seems to bit a bit more reliable. The stock RTE injectors are 295cc. That is good to about 220 to 230hp at the crank on a 22RTE. Just have them cleaned is all I would do.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:00 PM

I have a 22r-te bored .50 over (P.O.) and as i am at college right now and dont have my truck i have done nothing but research into it, ill try to help.

And yes 22rte trucks is great for info an thes trucks.

ok the manifold can be modified to work with the ct26 just enlarge the holes, if its not cracked i would keep it.
For a cam try the DOA C270 here: http://www.doaracingengines.com/page1/page1.html i have heard nothing but good things about it on these engines, works well with boost.
On the injectors i would have them cleaned unless your running higher boost then i would go with either 460cc/min denso or supra 440cc/min injectors, with a 1982 supra afm #22250-43110

and you may want to look into megasquirt or diypnp LOTS of reading material on it: http://www.diyautotune.com/diypnp/docs.html

also look int a intercooler, lots of ways people are doing it, mostly skidplate mount, some front mounts, and ive seen a couple top mounts? (more work with top mount.

i've also heard a of a couple people using the street rv head for strength, bumps the compression up to 8.?:1 though. Dont forget your arp head studs.
also for boost look into these headgaskets: http://stores.channeladvisor.com/sce...orLanding/true
or
http://www.cometic.com/sportcompact.aspx

hope this helps, ive got a favorites list from hell so i might have more info
Old 05-22-2012, 02:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Once you get the engine torn down, take it to a reputable engine machine/builder shop and get the engine specked out. See if it needs to be rebored and if it does how much? Purchase your pistons first and have the machine shop match bore the cylinders to the pistons. Remember bigger is not always better. The heads on these are prone to cracking here:-
[IMG][/IMG]

So have yours thoroughly inspected. I'm using the engine builder 261C cam as well, but I haven't finished my engine yet, so I cant tell you how it performs. The ct26 is a good upgrade, but I would end the modifications there! There are others that are benificial, but my advice is once you get the engine built, get it running on the stock components
injectors, throttle body, afm first and once you have a good running engine, then try upgrades one at a time. That way if you do an upgrade that doesn't perform the way you thought it would, you can easily change it back. If you throw alot of upgrades at this engine all at once and can't get it tuned... where do you start with your troubleshooting process?

Last edited by Hadmatt54; 05-22-2012 at 02:12 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:25 PM

Much Good Advice! Im looking at tearing it down, having the block checked at Engbldr and most likly go with the RV Head and 268* Cam. Think i will just rebuild the ct20 for now if i can for cheep, and get her all dialed in 'stock' then upgrade from there. Of course ill do MHG and ARB Studs, have injectors cleaned, etc. I guess no mater what i will be under the hood again and again, thats just how i roll!
Old 05-25-2012, 10:27 AM

Oh yeah don't upgrade the rods or the pistons. The stock rods can handle way more then the engine can make and the 22rte pistons can handle over 200hp. Another quick upgrade that can be done is swapping on a 22RE head which will raise the compression up into the 8:1 area instead of the 7.5:1 of the stock 22RTE. This will help give the engine a bit more low end and overall peppiness.

Last edited by gennro; 05-25-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:56 AM

as far as the cam goes i would go for a doa c270 i was going to get the engine builder but now im not so sure,
From MOSK on 22rte trucks
"Stock
Not a bad cam, honestly. Not exciting, but it isn't a buzz killer like the stock turbo or stock exhaust.

LCE "custom" turbo grind, circa 1998
This cam sucked, but it was actually a repackaged WEB cam for a normally aspirated, dual carb motor. I will give LCE the benefit of the doubt and assume their current turbo offering are better suited to this motor.

DOA Racing Engines C270
A very nice 22RE cam that also works well for the RTE. Minimal overlap, which makes it a good choice for turbo motors. Well suited to trucks/4Runners due to its low end torque, probably not as well suited to Celicas because it isn't a very high revving cam. Broad power band (2800-5400rpm, IIRC). You could do a lot worse.

CompCams 260S
In many ways similar to the DOA C270. I thought the C270 was a little "sharper", maybe a little perkier, but this was a perfectly acceptable turbo cam. I don't know if there are any former or current members of the Old Celica Club on this forum, but this was the cam that Gery Meissner ran on his 250+ rwhp turbo '83 Celica. The CompCams 268S is a higher revving version of this cam, but its powerband isn't really suited to trucks. Gary ran this cam because it was better suited to the autocross he was doing in his Celica, but the 268s might be a better road cam.

DOA Racing Engines "custom" turbo grind (current cam)
Absolutely love this cam -- broad power band, lots of top end, really great for a "big" 22RTE motor running a big turbo and lots of boost. Tim Jenkins (DOA Racing Engines owner/operator/what-have-you) is *extremely* tight lipped about this cam's specs, and very particular about who he sells it to, as he doesn't want it copied. If you are swinging for the fences with your motor, you can call him and talk to him about it. However, if you are running a motor that's making less than 200hp, this cam probably isn't as good a choice as the C270 or CompCams 260S."

There was another site that compared between engnbldr and doa c270 but i dont remember where it was...

Hope this helps
Old 05-26-2012, 04:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your choice of cam depends on what you are planning for your vehicle. If it's your daily driver, then a mild cam that gives you good performance, decent power and probably most important today good fuel economy would probably be the way to go.
But if you are trying to build an all out screamer / race engine, then you might as well drop in a Lexus V8, because the V8 will probably be cheaper than your rebuild and better on fuel in the long run.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:03 PM

What is the best timing chain kit for my 1987 Toyota pickup?