Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Bucking/sputtering

Old 05-13-2013, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bucking/sputtering

Ok I recently changed the timing chain on my 92 22re it's been running fine then Saturday was driving and it bucked a little and stalled. I feared the worst so I towed it to my buddies house and pulled the valve cover to find that the chain and all parts were good, thought I had done something wrong and the timing had jumped. Any way put the valve cover back on tried to crank it with no luck. Let it sit for a while and tried to crank it and with much hesitation an dyeing twice it cranked. It ran pretty rough for a while then seemed to straighten up I found a vacuum leak fixed it and it seemed to run better.

Now yesterday it had a small miss on the lower rpm range 1500-1700 But it only missed twice.

And today it is missing bad but kinda strange. At idle its fine u can rev the engine seems fine no miss running good. Now when u go to take off it bucks so bad u get whiplash died on me several times. But if you get it going it runs fine under normal driving conditions but if you try wot then I can only muster 3300rpms it cuts out there like its running out of fuel. So I am stumped I'm not much of a mechanic and even less experienced in trouble shooting problems. Do I need a new fuel pump? It has a brand new fuel filter, plugs,wires,and rotor, also the injectors were changed about 10k ago. And the engine light has not came on so no codes to check. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:25 PM

Ok new update was working on it checking vacuum lines and wiring ect. Just trying to find the problem. No luck then I was trying to pull up my driveway and it started to buck and died cranked it up tried again and died now it will not crank and it smell like raw gas in the exhaust so strong u can smell it in the truck. Not sure where to start.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:51 PM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
check engine light??
Old 05-13-2013, 05:53 PM

No light not even a blink.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:12 PM

Use the SST(paper clip) and see if it is storing a code. I was driving my sisters pathfinder one time where it randomly gave symptoms of running out of gas. It finally left us stranded, I just started looking under the hood, thinking it would be in vain(we were in Costa Rica on a dirt road, faaaar from civilization) and found a loose wire for the fuel pump!! Gave it my best shot at southern engineering and IT WORKED!! Hope its simple and good luck!
Old 05-14-2013, 05:04 AM

Ok tried to pull the codes as I've never done this before but I looked it up and did it what I think is the right way, and all I got was a check engine light that constantly flashes there are no pauses or breaks just constant flashing.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:23 PM

New update after checking every wire and hose under the hood I pulled the plugs which were covered in gas again. Then I pulled the efi Faust to stop the fuel spun the truck over without the plugs to dry it out. Then I put the plugs in and the fuse and it cranked ran very rough and finally started to level out. Then while it was running I checked all my connections again and nothing. So was gonna put e hood down and drive it when I did it died. I opened the hood and cranked again then I started pushing on wires and hoses and when I came to the main wiring harness on the passenger side I touched it and it died. Repeated this process 2 more times. I then cut all the tape to reveal all the factory connections. While the truck was running I pulled every wire in the harness and it did not die again. So now I know it's my harness but not sure what wire it is. It drives fine for now but it's only a matter of time before it leaves me stranded. So I've called a couple junkyards looking for a harness and all I have found is one that was for the v6 not real sure but doubt it will work. So where is the best place to try to find a harness? Any help is appreciated.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm going to take a try at this, I remember in the harness there are 2 wires that are crimped together that maybe the issue. Even though that was not my issue, thanks to terrys87 who was helping me thought that this may have been the issue.

here's a link to his work: https://www.yotatech.com/51897320-post664.html

hope this helps...

Search this Thread