Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Broken Water Pump Bolt

Old 02-19-2009, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broken Water Pump Bolt

Even after reading the horror stories of broken water pump bolt/posts, I stubbornly insisting on torquing those tiny little nuts to 27lbs...soooo of course I broke one...the post/bolt sticks out of the timing case (which I just reattached after doing the timing chain...). I'm wondering if I can just drill out the old post and screw another one in, or do I have to get a new timing case and redo the gasket/case job?

btw, I was obsessively careful to keep all the bolts organized (I made a map on a piece of cardboard and poked em through it) so I know that it had nothing to do with the wrong bolt in the wrong place. plus it was a nut anyway so that's not possible to get it mixed up!

so DO NOT tighten those little nuts to 27lbs...
Old 02-19-2009, 08:04 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Did you use anti-seeze? Cause if you didn't I'm going to say you learned the same lesson I did. I had to replace cover, I was lucky got a cheapo e-bay jobby. Use cuation though as I've heard horror stories about buying such parts on e-bay. check out engine builder.

Welcome.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:26 PM

lol, u made a map?

on my water pump, there were like 3 screws, 3 nuts, and a long screw.

if you snapped a screw and its not flush, either use vice grips or pliers to pull it out, or cut the top of the remaining piece with a little slash to fit a flatblade screwdriver. If its flush...you could try using a screw extractor, but i would recommend against it, as i snapped my Dewalt screw extractor in the screw....
Old 02-19-2009, 08:27 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
I'm still running minus one bolt in mine... have been for over a year now... no leaks...

I know, not good, and I'm not suppose to, I'm just say'n

lol

plus I was in a tight spot, and it absolutely HAD to get done, then!
Old 02-20-2009, 10:28 AM

water pump

I didn't use anti sieze, but the part that broke was already attached. it's a post that comes out of the timing case...I'm just not sure if it's press fit or if it is threaded in on that end too (like the posts are that hold the fan on). if they are threaded, then I can flatten the sides or cut a slice in the end and unscrew the post, put a new one in and call it good. otherwise i have to take of my timing case, buy a new one plus gaskets, scrape scrape scrape, etc...so I am trying to avoid that.

or maybe i can drill it out and heli coil??

I'm taking a break today and going skiing. it just dumped 15" last night.

and about the map...it was for all the timing case bolts too...just because some of them are different lengths!

thanks for all the replies!

s
Attached Thumbnails Broken Water Pump Bolt-map.jpg  
Old 02-20-2009, 02:41 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
If its what I did and what this sounds like. Theres no notching it, vise grips, or easy outs, guess how I know. There no pressed in steel post in the Aluminum timing chain cover, is a stud or two. I'm kinda confused how you got to where your at with the broken.

Anytime you use steel bolts in Aluminum use anti-seize the name says why. I broke a bolt placing it in, when the resistance told me something was wrong I tried to back it out and it froze nada mas. Vise grips no, center drilled the bolt after cutting off. The hardened steel easy out broke too. Used tons of penetrating oil. I did feel comfortable leaving it as was so I replace cover.

If its a stud, put two nuts on, tighten them against each other they'll let you take it out. like a bolt.

Good luck, and gossshhh wish I could ski.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:02 PM

Yeah , I've never seen A card board bolt map .. ,but I guess it's a good way to keep track of everthing . If you still have trouble getting the bolt out , Post a picture if you can It always help to see the problem . . You probably have to drill A hole in it and use one of those ,"easy outs" like Muddpigg stated above.
Old 01-26-2020, 03:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by muddpigg
If its what I did and what this sounds like. Theres no notching it, vise grips, or easy outs, guess how I know. There no pressed in steel post in the Aluminum timing chain cover, is a stud or two. I'm kinda confused how you got to where your at with the broken.

Anytime you use steel bolts in Aluminum use anti-seize the name says why. I broke a bolt placing it in, when the resistance told me something was wrong I tried to back it out and it froze nada mas. Vise grips no, center drilled the bolt after cutting off. The hardened steel easy out broke too. Used tons of penetrating oil. I did feel comfortable leaving it as was so I replace cover.

If its a stud, put two nuts on, tighten them against each other they'll let you take it out. like a bolt.

Good luck, and gossshhh wish I could ski.
Sorry to revive an old thread but holy ˟˟˟˟ you just saved my ass

Edit... Jk, that didn't work for me

Last edited by Raiderfan0224; 01-27-2020 at 11:44 AM.