YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > 86-95 Trucks & 4Runners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-21-2011, 08:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Personal Sales Rating: (1)

Broken '86 Power Antenna How To Fix?

Recently, my brother broke the power antenna off of my '86 4runner. Up until then everything worked fine. I would like to preferably replace it with another power antenna, but if not I'd be fine with also replacing it with a more flexible standard antenna. I just don't know how to access the antenna to do the work. If someone could walk me through the process that'd be great! Also, would a standard antenna from an auto parts store such as O'Reilly work? Thanks!
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
Attached Thumbnails
Broken '86 Power Antenna How To Fix?-imag0082.jpg  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-21-2011, 08:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

replace it with a tacoma whip antenna

Garage Queen - 2004 Roush Mustang
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-21-2011, 09:10 AM   #3 (permalink)

Order a new mast fron this guys. www.AntennaMastsRus.com
Old 08-21-2011, 09:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

For me was a PITA specially trying to pass the antenna cord through the back of the dash. Mine was not powered but i guess is the same. Need to remove like a nut in the base of the antenna.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:26 AM   #5 (permalink)

I hav eused antennamastsrus. they are very good. you can either get the hardware replacement, which will take you about 2 hrs to do, taking apart your old gear, mounts housing etc., and it will be almost origional. or you can get the entire replacement kit, which is about 28 bucks, and pull of your whole assy., and replace it with theirs. I would guess about 30 minutes total.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:58 AM   #6 (permalink)

I did not want to pay premium bucks for a new power antenna, so I just removed the motor on my 4-runner and glued the antenna to stay up. Cheap fix and it looks good too.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
Contributing Member
Personal Sales Rating: (2)

New mast:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...ent/index.html
Project: 4Crawler
4Crawler OffRoad - YotaTech discount code
Gettin'Off 4WD Club
Old 08-22-2011, 02:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

You don't need to replace the whole antenna assembly, if the mast is the only thing broken, it takes about 20 min. to replace.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

I'm with maco on this, it's less a 1 hour for a newb to swap and it's the best option given the room to mount a replacement.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

I think I paid about $20 from Toyota for a whip antenna. Pull out the old mast and this one mounts right up. As said before, the hardest part to this is sliding the new leed to stereo. The best thing about this is YOU WILL NEVER HAVE TO GO INTO FINDER SKIRT AGAIN because the whip just unscrews from the mount.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:20 AM   #11 (permalink)

I have a 87 4runner with broken power antenna mast and the fixes are stated here. I was just wondering about possibly better reception from getting a newer unit compared to replacing the mast on the oe unit. I know the receiver is most important but how much difference does the antenna make?
Old 02-09-2013, 10:41 AM   #12 (permalink)
Contributing Member
Personal Sales Rating: (2)

Never seen much of a difference in antennas as far as reception. Adding an in-line pre-amp on the antenna cable can help in fringe areas. I now run an unbreakable "rubber-ducky" type of antenna:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...cement/11.html

Click the image to open in full size.

After repairing my power antenna twice, decided it was not worth the trouble. The last time it broke, was driving at night in town on a dark street. Unknown to me, a branch had broken in a tree near the road and it hung down far enough to snag my antenna as I drove by (headlights did not pick up the hanging tree branch).
Project: 4Crawler
4Crawler OffRoad - YotaTech discount code
Gettin'Off 4WD Club

Last edited by 4Crawler; 02-09-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:41 AM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
4runner, 86, 99, antenna, fix, mast, pickup, power, powerantenns, replace, replacement, retractable, standard, toyota, yotatech