Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Broke a timing cover bolt. Now what?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Broke a timing cover bolt. Now what?

Ok so i broke this one. I forgot to reset the torque wrench from the head bolts. ( Yes the head is all torqued down)
I though it just had a little ultra gray in the hole and snapped it. It goes through the AC bracket.
I tried vice grips but that is a no go.
So what now ? at least i did not put any locktite on it.

and here it is now.

Last edited by Obmi; 10-24-2015 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-24-2015, 03:01 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
I stripped two cam bearing bolt(hole)s. Fixing that sort of stuff is not only difficult and fiddly, you always worry about making something worse.

So if I were you, I'd bit the bullet and remove the timing cover. I understand that's a bitch with the 22re head on, but I don't see any GOOD way to get that bolt out.

There is a tool for removing studs
Titan Stud Puller - 3/8in. Drive, Model 16023 - Socket Wrenches - Amazon.com Titan Stud Puller - 3/8in. Drive, Model 16023 - Socket Wrenches - Amazon.com
that might help. You WON'T be able to use the 2-nuts jammed together method
But I'd be willing to try vise-grips (er, that's a trademark, let's try "locking pliers") once you have enough room.
Old 10-25-2015, 01:28 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Torque wrenches nothing but trouble

Once the timing cover is off you should be able to remove it.

If you have not destroyed the end to bad you might be able to clean it up enough to get some nuts on.

Thing is is the oil leak where the bolt is broke going to be worse then the one you will have where the head meets the timing cover??

That is the question of the day!!!!
Old 10-25-2015, 04:37 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I would pull the timing cover. Once the cover and broke bolt is removed, use a little sealant on the head gasket to hold the head gasket to the head.

What happens is when you try to slide the cover back into place, it is possible to kink the head gasket. It wont hurt compression or anything like that. The part of the head gasket that is possible to damage is the square part that circles the timing chain. With sealant holding it up good an tight and you being gentle and taking your time getting the cover on with out kinking the gasket, you should be okay.

When installing the timing cover, kind of start the bottom of the cover and tilt it into place carefully watching the top of the head gasket. It is just a slight tilt/angle when installing the cover. I never could just slide it straight in to place, always had a little tilt to it.

Last edited by Terrys87; 10-25-2015 at 04:39 AM.
Old 10-25-2015, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Torque wrenches nothing but trouble

If you have not destroyed the end to bad you might be able to clean it up enough to get some nuts on.

Thing is is the oil leak where the bolt is broke going to be worse then the one you will have where the head meets the timing cover??

That is the question of the day!!!!
Let me answer you with some ideas. The bolt in the pictures will point out the broken bolts position on the bracket.
FSM says 9lb toque. This leads me to believe its not a support point. (Note the ideas will get worse the farther down they are on the list.)

Idea 1. Put washers behind bracket and let that put clamping force on the cover.

Idea 2. Tap the bracket and use a drilled out bolt ( to accommodate the broken bolt. ( So the new bigger bolt slides over the old bolt.)

Idea 3. Use a threaded rod coupler /nut and slip part of it down over the good threads on the broken bolt. then New short bolt on the other end.

Idea 4. Drill out the bracket and see if I can get a nut on the new "Stud".

Here are some current picks.

Old 10-25-2015, 08:25 AM

U can get a bolt out kit at sears that u can beat on it and take a wrench to it and then replace the bolt or try like a 6 inch pipe wrench to bite on it and pull it out
Old 10-25-2015, 08:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You mentioned, in another post, that you want to drop the oil pan to clean out all the accumulated sludge and such. Maybe now would be a good time to lift the motor up, drop and clean the pan, pull the timing cover while the pan is off, deal with the broken stud and put it all back together. That way there is no jury rigging other parts and everything works as it should. The cost of oil pan gasket(s) has to be better than the cost of a new head gasket? Just a thought.
Old 10-25-2015, 02:19 PM

I went a head with option 1. But its ok Im sure i could tear it back down in a day if i had to.
I'm really tired today. It will probably be ok. the real pain in the ass was the intake manifold. My big hands don't fit underneath to put the bottom screw's in. I got it but like i said "Super Pain in the ass.

All i have to do now its. torque the main pulley out on the plenum when im done cleaning it, and put the manifold back on.

I had the ac on but took it back off the make more room for the intake install.

That's it other then changing the oil filter. (As far as i know)
Old 10-25-2015, 08:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by k-ray
You mentioned, in another post, that you want to drop the oil pan to clean out all the accumulated sludge and such. Maybe now would be a good time to lift the motor up, drop and clean the pan, pull the timing cover while the pan is off, deal with the broken stud and put it all back together. That way there is no jury rigging other parts and everything works as it should. The cost of oil pan gasket(s) has to be better than the cost of a new head gasket? Just a thought.
I was thinking the exact same thing reading down and someone beat me to it. Since you have crud in the oil pan and either the head or oil pan have to be removed to do the timing cover??? It would seem to be an easy answer. Oil pan!
YOu have had a wicked time with this project