Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Brand new fuel pump LOUD NOSIES!

Old 03-27-2010, 02:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brand new fuel pump LOUD NOSIES!

I just replaced my fuel pump with a brand new one... got half a tank of gas in it and all I hear is this really loud noisse like the pump is just working its ass off. It seems my truck is running EXTREEMLY rich and got black sut coming out of my tail pipe and my plugs get carbon fauled instantly. My truck was running alright rich and high rpms at ilde but alright, all of a suddin it just goes to crap missfireing and all. It gets a little better here or there but goes right back to crap minute later. Any advice? Thanks. P.S. My cap rotor wires and plugs are all 5k- old.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does your truck use oil? Checked compression lately?
Old 03-27-2010, 03:19 PM

doesnt use oil.... havnt checked compression lately allthoe im leaning more twords the fuel pressure regulator problim has been around slightly but she was running better tahn ever for the last 2 weeks.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:07 PM

Bump. I changed my fuel pressure regulator from the 6cyl and it runs a tiny bit better but still mis fireing and running extreemly rich. Thinking maybe the fuel injectors? Might already need new spark plugs? they are less than 1000 miles old but also 6-8 months old.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:15 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Check the oxygen sensor, the computer uses it to set the air fuel ratio, so if its bad that could cause the rich condition you have now.
Old 03-27-2010, 11:30 PM

Yeah I can understand the rich, but this is just recockulus. but yeah so far im thinking Spark plugs (new E3`s) maybe o2 senser, hope not but maybe injectors are wide open? What would cause the fuel pump to be sooooo loud that I can hear it over my headers and exaust.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the injectors were wide open, it would have probably filled your entire motor with fuel by now. They don't really work that way.

I agree with myyota. I would check/replace the O2 sensor and plugs first. Disconnect your battery while you're replacing the O2 sensor. By the time it's installed and ready to fire back up, that will ensure the memory is reset in the computer.

As for the fuel pump, I don't know why it is so loud.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:21 PM

Checked the resitance on my O2 and it was 6.6 so from what im figuring thats good? If I cant get ths going tonight im going to work on the rest of my project it seems and have it towed to my buddies shop... Only problim is I will proibly be being towed by a nissan and that is not how I want to make my toyotas debut or how ever the hell you spell it
Checked the wires to my sensor and they looked toat on the loom but the insulation looks good. The connector on the harness side is pretty shot, wondering how I can change that with out messing any thing up.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:32 PM

Ok so here it is running like crap. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Fu-g8lSxNs
Old 03-28-2010, 09:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well i almost fell outta my chair when i saw under hood but thats a diff story. Ok. Fuel pump sounds fine to me they make noise, electric motors do... it will prob quite down a bit since its new like you said. So you had the fuel pump jumped and the MIL jumped as well. Blinking once consistanly like that says there is no trouble codes. Generally a fuel pump won't cause a car to run rich cause thats what a "Fuel pressure Regulator" is for. Did you buy one for a 22re? An improperly Adjusted TPS can cause and engine to run extremely rich or lean as well. Air filter Dirty? Got coolant in it? Toyotas determine the fuel mixture by the coolant temp and the amount of air metered into the engine. Hows that Air flow meter? Is it Original? Check it for resistance by the book. If its off anywhere any bit its bad. The O2 sensor in these trucks does not play a really huge role in how the engine runs but does a little bit. How do you know its running rich? A miss firing engine and or engine 'nervousness" does not mean is running rich. What kind of plugs you got? If they are not NGK's i recommend them. Compression check?

Last edited by Kiroshu; 03-28-2010 at 09:46 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:01 PM

Hahah fell outa the chair in a bad way I take it. BRand new radiator 3 core with gl5 in it burped and toped. The reason I know its running rich is it smells like unbrnt gas, not just rich but unburnt. there is black sut all over my rear spring my sparkplugs keep fauling with carbon. They are NGK`s all thoe im about to get some e3`s they are less thank 1k miles on them. I checked online and it seems the fuel pressure reg`s are the same for 6 and 4 cyl just a little tiny diffrence in design. Same pressure and flow thoe. K&N cone filter just cleaned. MAF? Brand spanking new... less thank 200 miles on it. Im thinking maybe just maybe its running rich cuss one of my cyl isnt fireing. IDK thoe im about to upload what it was like 3 days ago befor it all of a suddin started acting up.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:05 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j13IuHS21-U how it sounded 1 week ago when I got her fireing. high idle but good.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:09 PM

Sure its not consuming oil? Did it do thise anytime before or this first time or have you not had the truck long.... "MAF?" <--These Trucks have not a "Mass Air Flow Sensor" they have an "Air Flow meter." Check your PCV valve. Does it have ont at all? If it seems to miss fire take each wire off the distributor one at a time and see i anyone has not affect on how the truck runs. A dead cyl will have "unburned gas" out the tail pipe.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:12 PM

A high idle can hide a miss fire on a 22re take it down to 750-850 and see how it runs. Check and or set timing prob. The idle seems like its close to 2k which is no good lol.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:15 PM

what do you mean by "GL5" in your radiator....GL5 is gear oil bro.....
Old 03-28-2010, 10:16 PM

sounds like a MEAN mo fo though when you first started it though lmao..like a BIG lumpy high lift cam lol..almost like a high hp V8
Old 03-28-2010, 10:20 PM

^Tis possible.... Truck history would be nice...
Old 03-28-2010, 10:23 PM

are you talking about the cam part???

if so..i don't think theres a cam made with that much lift LOL..it sounded like a .550 cam in a 350
Old 03-28-2010, 10:24 PM

Anythings Possible if you put your mind to it
Old 03-28-2010, 10:25 PM

Figured it out!!!!! WEWT! sorry for the little mistakes in my listing. I am new to the whole mechanic thing and lurning a load every day. My AFM was stuck in the open position. It just dawned on me while watching my video that I didnt hear the little "clink" when I shut her off.... sure as hell took off the hose looked inside and BWAMO! The coolent I thought has the gl5 , it must be the GO5 or some in it that keeps them from rusting and runn a little cooler.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brand new fuel pump LOUD NOSIES!