86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

brakes are bad please help

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brakes are bad please help

anybody pls give me input, otherwise ill pour gas in and set it on fire, front calipers profesionally rebuilded, new lines coming from mc, 1 port is blocked off for testing purpose and still pedal goes to the floor, it builds the pressure if u pump it and holds it, no leaks, let go off brake pedal for 10sec. goes to the floor again, mc is good, aftermarked one or #2 i tossed out of window; nevermind the bleeding ... biggest mistake i ever made, that i ever bought toyota, 2nd 4runner is nothing but junk; first and last toyota for me ..

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 02-09-2012 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Language removed
Old 02-09-2012, 04:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So it's Toyotas fault that brakes on your 15+ year old vehicle don't work?
Old 02-09-2012, 04:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds more to me like your replacement parts are junk, or they aren't meant for your vehicle. Brakes are a closed hydraulic system, so if the pedal travels to the floor, the fluid is going somewhere. You cant overlook bleeding the system by any means, gases compress, liquids dont. More important than your brakes, you need to realign your outlook on it, because with that piss poor aggrivated attitude it will not get fixed.

What exactly do you have blocked off and connected? If you tried 3 or so replacement parts, all of which have failed, you may be overlooking the main problem. Have you thoroughly cleaned and inspected all points for leaks or proper adjustment? Ranting doesn't solve your problem, it just leads to more broken stuff.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:39 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I don`t blame you one bit with a Attitude like that you should not be allowed to own a Toyota

Like American Flags Fire is the proper and honorable way to release the Toyota spirit to the universe .

In either case make sure to get the fire hot enough!! In the Toyota`s I think Thermonuclear is the only proper way
Old 02-09-2012, 04:44 PM

yeah sure, i got attitude toward it cause im starting to think that with whatever effort i do to it ends nowhere; i dunno how many times i bled that thing, doing different configs etc; after 5 lspvs i decided not to even bother with it; they are all junk, and do work when new and do leak when used, nothings seems to work. Im not toyota hater but got other japanese vehicle that is only 2yrs younger than this truck i and only changed dizzy and powersteering line for 12yrs of usage, i dont even wanna list how many parts i changed on this 4runner cause im gonna get very upset.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:57 PM

used vehicles are only as good as the previous owner sold them in.
lspvs are a MFPTIA to bleed, especially if they have lots of little air bubbles in there.
look at it this way- you are learning how to fix vehicles and not just take them to others to fix them for you.

any yes i have been in your shoes and wanted to burn every one i have had to the ground and put the burning ashes out with my pee. so yea it gets better.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:02 PM

How about helping us help you:

FIRST - what year?

Originally Posted by Northern Sun
• front calipers profesionally rebuilded - what exactly does this mean (not the typo)?

• new lines coming from mc, 1 port is blocked off for testing purpose - from m/c to where? which lines *exactly* are new? which port is blocked off? for what testing purposes?

• and still pedal goes to the floor, it builds the pressure if u pump it and holds it, no leaks - does the pedal move at all?

let go off brake pedal for 10sec. goes to the floor again,

• mc is good - how do you know this? what brand? (there have been a ton of folks on here who went with new aftermarket m/c's only to return them for another.) Did you bench bleed the m/c?
Old 02-09-2012, 05:19 PM

im just getting tired of this truck, i havent really gone to mechanics for last 10yrs so im not really learning here, my buddy got a shop and fixes cars and trucks i usually give him a hand with whatever he's fighting with, diesel, 4x4 etc u name it, i get used parts for free from him cause he's into 4runners, i mean 1gen, 2gen he's not touching, just buys them cheap and parts them out. But lately i dont wanna ask him no more cause i feel bad knowing that parts are not free even used ones. Whatever i fix on this 22yrs junk is always next in line, meaning, it never ends, there is always something to fix ... i have never fixed so many things on just one vehicle; i dont really wanna blow my money on new parts from dealer especially here in Canada, i got to pay rent and all,
its a 90 v6,

Last edited by Northern Sun; 02-09-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:17 PM

make sure YOU installed the calipers correctly. they are easily interchangable from one side to the next. however, if YOU have installed the calipers with the bleeder screws on the bottom, swap the calipers around so that the bleeder screws are at the top of the caliper. You will never be able to bleed the air out of a system with the bleeders at the bottom.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:24 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Anyways, on a serious note, dude.

Hook up ALL THE LINES, properly and tight.

BENCH BLEED the brake master

Crack ALL the bleeders, then start filling the master, and go around closing them from the farthest away from the MC

(drivers rear, passengers rear, LSPV, pass. front, drivers front)

Then bleed the drivers rear, pass. rear, LSPV, pass front, then drivers front.

if you STILL cant get a decent pedal, then you need a new master cylinder..

Or at the very least, you need to inspect ALL of your lines. Could be cracked hard or soft lines, loose hard line connections, cracked bleeders you're not aware of.. Leaking wheel cylinders.. etc.

Don't give up!

also..

(15 seconds left in auction) RAISE TO 602!!!!
Old 02-09-2012, 06:29 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by yotaman85
where are you located, ill come give you $500 if your close enough.
He said he lives in Canada.....to slow

It is pretty obvious for people that work on their own cars, but I once had a Tahoe that the customer replaced his own calipers and rotors and was having the same problems as you. Had the truck towed in, I took one quick look at it and saw the bleeders on the calipers were below the hose, he had mixed up the right and left caliper and didn't realize it.

Maybe get someone else that has fresh eyes to take a quick look at it to see if they can spot something you have missed.

Toyota's are pretty good cars, I have a 88 PU with almost 300k on it and all I have done is oil changes and an alternator.

Last edited by James Woods; 02-09-2012 at 06:30 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:02 PM

Have you tried a vacuum bleader? I've seen them do wonders. Than, and like its been said a thousand times, double and triple check your work and parts. 9 times out of 10, it's something that's been improperly installed or adjusted, or you got your self a piece of per junk from your parts store or junk yard.

That, and gigidy! :jessica:

Btw, sorry for the family guy quote...

Last edited by 250000_yota; 02-09-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:03 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Ok Back to brakes!!

I had one once that had a little piece of grit in a reman Caliper where the line connected.

The connection did not leak fluid ( enough that one could see) but did allow air to be drawn in enough to cause interesting problems.

This was after a shop gave up on this vehicle wanted the owner to install all new brake system both hardware and hydraulics to the tune of$$$

Bought this to part out now been my daily driver sort of for years.

Sometimes a second or third set of eyes can be a big help.

I know at times the pressure builds to where this is no longer fun and becomes way to much like work. I am lucky I can just let things sit for awhile.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:06 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Before you set fire to it, try and sell it. That way a perfectly repairable Toyota will be saved.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by ksti
Before you set fire to it, try and sell it. That way a perfectly repairable Toyota will be saved.
X2 what he said ^
Old 02-10-2012, 08:48 AM

A dead famous/wise person once said "When we cease to learn...We cease to live".

Brake systems can make the best mechanic look like an idiot sometimes, you either have a defective replacement part or have done something silly.

I have 5 Toyotas in my driveway/yard and have worked on the brakes several times as I do all my own wrenching, maybe I just got lucky?... Or I have the train of thought that if something doesn't work it is my fault not the maker of the vehicle.

If someone gets upset or looses their temper all conversations and help is over. We need to get over this hump first. It is not your trucks fault for your other problems in life.
Take a break or get help from your buddy.

BTW I had a 1966 BMW 2002 given to me long time ago. Dude put $2500 in engine planning to race/rally it. Could not get it to run right (it ran but powerless) so he fixed it with an axe..through the windshield, hood, grill, doors and trunk. Poor thing set in yard for 10-15 years before I dragged it home. It took about 20 minutes to get it purring like a kitten....distributor was 180 deg. off. This guy was ASE certified and thought he knew everything. Too bad he destroyed a good Beamer.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:46 PM

Btw, sorry for the family guy quote... [/qoute]

i dont know what he wrote, i lost internet shortly after my last response, my ISP decided to change its ip to different subnet without even sending any info about it so that's #2 and #3 was today at work, 7hrs at work on swing stage just to hear after that it was all for nothing and now i can go to my garage to work on my brakes so i can hear some a$$ole laughing and spitting in the background so they can feel better knowing that is not them laying underneath the car; but its ok to go to mechanics and blow $800 on 2 ball joints and brake job for ex.

if YOU have installed the calipers with the bleeder screws on the bottom, swap the calipers around so that the bleeder screws are at the top of the caliper. You will never be able to bleed the air out of a system with the bleeders at the bottom.
hmm .. i never thought of that, yeah ill try that

[qoute]Crack ALL the bleeders, then start filling the master, and go around closing them from the farthest away from the MC

(drivers rear, passengers rear, LSPV, pass. front, drivers front)
ill try that too,
thanks to everyone that replay with some good info ..
Old 12-08-2014, 10:15 PM

Air in the system find it and you will solve your problem
Old 12-09-2014, 10:46 AM

It's been 2 and a half years... I'm pretty sure by now he's set it on fire and drove it into the ocean. But the thing keeps coming back!

Toyotas are like dogs; feed em, pet em, play with em a little, and they'll be forever loyal.