86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Brake problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake problem

Ok the other day i had to change my cv boot. The boot next to the wheel, passenger side. My truck is a 91 p/u v6 4x4. It was a real PITA to try to take off the brakes, so i just removed the entire thing to hold the wheel. Got the axle out, put the new boot in, then started putting everything back together. Finially all together, then just had to put in the brake caliper. Put it on, then the clip in the brake caliper was stuck, and bent, because i was turning the wheel, making sure everthing was all good. It was stuck in between the brake pads good, so i just cut it in half, then threw it away. If you guys not sure, its the clip i thing behind the brake pad. it helps hold the brake pads onto the caliper. So yea, went for a test drive then when i hit the brake, the side i changed the cv boot was acting strange. When i stepped on the brake, felt like it was just not really locking up, like it had a hard time braking, but not. And you could only the passenger side vibrating real bad. Like it feels like im driving on a rocky road. You guys thing its because of the clip to hold the brake pads in place? im real busy, and i dont really have time to mess aroun. Thanks in advance. Hope i explained well
Old 03-24-2007, 09:51 PM

You need to take the time to make it right. Your description is a little tough to follow, but Toyota brakes are pretty simple. Pull both wheels off so you can look at the other side as an example. The plates between the caliper and the pads are not necessary. But you need to use them, or not. not use part of one. It might be smart to get a new set of pads. Many lives are relying on those brakes. Get someone to help out if necessary.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:09 PM

The braking was just fine. Till i changed the cv boot. I just killed the clip to hold the brake pads onto the caliper. It somehow came off while i was installing the calipers, then it got all bent because i didnt c it come off. And it was stuck, so i clipped it off. But i just might grab another one tomorrow and hopefully it all works out. Thanks
Old 03-24-2007, 11:55 PM
Contributing Member

Ummm.... you don't have to remove the brakes to remove a cv axle. Just an FYI for next time.