86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Brake pad and rotor recommendations - 91 4Runner v6 S12W

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 04:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brake pad and rotor recommendations - 91 4Runner v6 S12W

I hate asking such a simple question (especially when this seems like the type of question that should come up all the time), but what are the general recommendations for new pads and rotors (I'm looking for brands/models or even a URL) and what is best avoided?

Most of my searches have comeback with some variety of "how-to" (either a question or a write-up), a "rotor stuck to hub" question, or are ancient threads from 2002-03 which I wouldn't consider relevant today.

For pads, I'm leaning toward the EBC Greenstuff 7000s, but am completely open to any and all other suggestions. Ceramic vs semi-metallic? I have 10 year old black steel rims, I'm not worried about brake dust.

For rotors, I haven't been able to find anything useful other than a few in 2005 saying that Brembo blanks were great but then their quality started dropping off and were best to be avoided, and then the usual avoid Autozone advice. So really, I'm open to any advice. Is there any benefit to drilled/slotted/dimpled rotors or is it just an excuse to charge more $$?

FWIW, it seems that I have the smaller V6 brakes, the calipers have S12W stamped into them rather than the S13W for the larger ones, and at this point, I'm not convinced there will be much benefit to getting new (re-manufactured or even junk yard) S13W calipers. So, I'm sticking with the current S12W, but am open to persuasion.

And for now, my search continues...
Old 04-14-2015, 11:16 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Last Rotors and Pads I put on my Tacoma came from Toyota.

The last ones on the 92 4Runner Were Rotors From Napa and there UP Ceramic Pads only because the gave them to me by Mistake.

Then they said Give them a try and if I didn`t like them down the road they would give me a set of the regular UP pads gratis.

Must be over a year or longer .

Then I am good on my Brakes.
Old 04-15-2015, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Google pad differences to get your own opinion on what pads to use, I like semi metallic pads they arent as herd on the rotors. The ceramics will eat up a set of rotors in half the time they normally should last. I get my brake sets (semi metallic) from CARiD and get the fleet pads that come per-burnished, i have those pads on all of my vehicles and have had good luck. I use the posi quiet fleet pads and use the Centric high carbon rotors when I need to replace them.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:52 AM

Just to follow up with this, I got set of the Brembo 09.5173.10 rotors and Raybestos "Enhanced Hybrid Technology" pads, EHT436. Install went smooth, and everything seems to work well, but it's only been a couple of thousand miles, maybe.

http://brembo.mycarparts.net/product..._id=5691521035

http://www.raybestosbrakes.com/magno...tNumber=EHT436
Old 05-29-2015, 11:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ive used these with great sucess

http://www.lceperformance.com/Brake-Rotors-s/1305.htm
Old 05-29-2015, 01:02 PM

Red face

Pads Rotors I really don`t care what wears As long as it Stops when I apply the brakes.

After driving years with card board brake shoes

If I only get 12,000 miles to a set of Pads and Rotors so be it.
Old 05-29-2015, 02:30 PM

To be honest, I was looking for a "best of the best" type of combination for pads and rotors, and what I quickly found was that a lot of the higher priced pads really didn't provide any shorter stopping distances, but that they resisted brake fade a lot longer, and then that some didn't start working properly until they got "hot," which is fine for a track car but not so much for a daily driver or something that sees a lot of highway miles that needs to be able to stop with 100% force at any time.

So, that's why I ultimately went with the OE recommendations of my local Napa. At this point, this seems to be one of those areas where simply throwing more money at a problem may not result in a better outcome.
Old 05-29-2015, 02:35 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
All brake rotors are now make in China.

Now you can get akkebono brake pads or brembos. Those are your two top names brands. That said premature failure is a normal condition.

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/199...?brand=akebono

I use toyota brand rotors so I know they are not cheap pop-metal castings. Pads; ceramics eat up rotors and they work best when HOT. organic pads make lots of dust but they work best COLD!. Semi-metallics are a compromise between the two.

My Challenger and EVO MR have Brembo brakes and on a cold morning you need to be braking a lot sooner than you think. I just warm the brakes up before hand by riding the pedal down the first hill.

The 4x4 I use whatever is cheap and expect to do rotors & pads every 20k miles or less. Only on new Toyota brand brake parts can I get close to 40k miles before "its time".

So buy what your budget will allow and check every 1k miles or at least spring & fall. So you can wheel safely and when old man winter gets to town , your not doing a brake job while freezing your butt.
Old 05-29-2015, 02:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Advanced Auto parts "wearever" brand is probably the cheapest Chinese mfr brand out there. They work, they are cheap, but don't expect them to function like OEM, and do not push them too hard or you will experience a longer than expected stop times. You are the only judge of your driving style and should adjust your driving habits to match the brakes you buy.
Old 05-29-2015, 11:41 PM

Red face

I would rather change brakes at 20 degrees then 95 degrees and humid !!