Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Brake issue Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 07:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake issue Help

OK I'm new to Toyotas but always wanted an older Toyota so I recently found a clean 87 Toyota pickup with a 22r 5spd 4x4. It had no brakes and the previous owner puton a new master cylinder (mc) but didn't bench bleed it. So I tired bleeding it on the truck got good clean clear fluid no air and then bleed the rest of the system going from the DSR to PSR to PSF to DSF back to the LSPV got good clean fluid and did that until no more air and I used a vaccum bleeder tried to use the brakes still nothing ck for leaks all lines are good. I can pump the pedal about 15-20 times and start building pressure but then I loose pressure and pedal goes to the floor if I build pressure then start the truck the pedal goes to the floor and won't build any pressure I'm thinking it's the mc but not sure any help is appreciated thank you
Old 08-27-2015, 07:54 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Sounds like your still getting air in the lines.

Then the rear brakes could be so far out of adjustment along with the getting air in.

Your not far away if your really stuck I don`t mind helping.

Sometimes people get the calipers on upside down making it impossible to bleed

Bleeder valves do go bad and allow air in.

Last edited by wyoming9; 08-27-2015 at 07:56 AM.
Old 08-28-2015, 03:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i crack the lines at the mc and let it flow till it bleeds there, then gravity bleed the rears, then the fronts. it might take a lot of fluid to get the bubbles past, but running a bunch of fluid through it first, then pressure bleed like normal. do the rears first on the pressure bleed. then finish up by cracking the bleed screws and closing on front and rear with no pressure. extra precaution, sometimes you get the proportion valve pressured after a bleed and it won't work right. not often, but i've seen it enough to always do it.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:59 AM

I bought my 94 3vze, and it had a aftermarket brand new master, from Autozone I think. It went out on me shortly after I bought it. Put a brand new one on and my problem disappeared. Same thing happened to my clutch. DON'T BUY MASTERS FROM AUTOZONE.

Last edited by Marsheen; 08-28-2015 at 05:03 AM.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:13 AM

nope, and orileys hasn't been good for products coming out of csk either, which used to be at least 50% good. i buy carquest or napa or online now.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:24 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
You can buy an Aisin online for about the same price as parts stores. I have not had much luck on clutch or brakes cylinders from parts stores.

Also Toyota used different sized cylinders for the same generation. Pay attention to which one you have.
Name:  assem%2065_zpsaqlptdmy.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  24.9 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 08-28-2015 at 06:28 AM.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:04 AM

Red face

Funny thing I never have bleed but my first Master Cylinder so long ago

Then after my first failed attempt and very expensive did I ever touch a LSPV unless to remove it

With the amount of parts coming from China It is hard to get quality .

More and More I am going to my dealer.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AKHeathen
i crack the lines at the mc and let it flow till it bleeds there, then gravity bleed the rears, then the fronts. it might take a lot of fluid to get the bubbles past, but running a bunch of fluid through it first, then pressure bleed like normal. do the rears first on the pressure bleed. then finish up by cracking the bleed screws and closing on front and rear with no pressure. extra precaution, sometimes you get the proportion valve pressured after a bleed and it won't work right. not often, but i've seen it enough to always do it.
This works.

Originally Posted by Marsheen
I bought my 94 3vze, and it had a aftermarket brand new master, from Autozone I think. It went out on me shortly after I bought it. Put a brand new one on and my problem disappeared. Same thing happened to my clutch. DON'T BUY MASTERS FROM AUTOZONE.
or Oreillys, Advance, ect.

Go ahead and include clutch masters and slave cylinders to that list.

Originally Posted by wyoming9
With the amount of parts coming from China It is hard to get quality .

More and More I am going to my dealer.
Got that right

Last edited by Odin; 08-28-2015 at 08:22 AM.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
You can buy an Aisin online for about the same price as parts stores. I have not had much luck on clutch or brakes cylinders from parts stores.

Also Toyota used different sized cylinders for the same generation. Pay attention to which one you have.
What could happen if you put the wrong ones on?
Old 08-28-2015, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

What happedned to me is I put the smaller one on when I should of used the larger one. I was unaware of that Toyota used both styles. When I had the wrong one on, the piston popped out and I lost brakes. Luckily there were was no traffic at the bottom of the hill and I was able to blow thru the stop sign. It was an exciting time to say the least, but could of been a bad situation. It is posted in my 86 runner build somewhere in my link below.

My 88 runner uses the smaller cylinder but my 85 and 86 uses the larger one. Toyota does some screwy stuff. I just bought an AC drier and depending on which month of 88 determines which drier you use.

When you do get new parts, always compare what you get to what you have. I too have been getting more parts from Toyota or OEM dealers online. Ebay, Amazon, Rockauto.. are just some of the other sources I use.

Here is what happened. I lost all brakes at once. Drivers side leaked and I just changed it only. From now I compare to the oppisite side if swapping parts.
The piston would not stay in.
Name:  slavecylinder2_zps4625ed4a.jpg
Views: 589
Size:  69.8 KB

The one on the right is what I should of had all along.
Name:  slavecylinder1_zpsd8462ec0.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  76.1 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 08-28-2015 at 04:15 PM.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:01 PM

if that ever happens, pump the brakes, you will get the other set working. i took mine on a road test to get things all broke back in after a year and a half of sitting and did a hard brake test getting off the highway. almost locked them up when the rear brake line ruptured over the gas tank. just pumped it a few times and drove home on front brakes. the fluid is devided in the resivior for this reason. that was a couple years ago and i just recently got around to fixing it, lol.
Old 08-29-2015, 06:25 AM

Red face

Just what were you driving ??

It sure did not have a stock Toyota Reservoir or master cylinder

Now the old Domestic vehicles had a split system.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

The disadvantage of a single reservior is the loss of all fluid. Surprised that Toyota has not done the dual tank.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:41 AM

Red face

In theory you should have enough brake pressure to get the vehicle stopped

Then it could be if they had the complete split system some one would no doubt keep driving till that system failed at which time it would be Toyota`s fault By the time the Lawyers got done twisting the facts

Looking at a Master Cylinder off a Mid Eighties truck it would not take much work to enable one to run a dual reservoir giving you a true split system
Old 08-30-2015, 06:02 AM

1990 4runner. as i said, it went years just on front brake fluid. it may be one chamber, but certainly does have a low-level devider in it. fairly sure it's been a government requirement for 30-50 years or more.
Old 08-30-2015, 06:07 AM

just took a stroll out to my 86 2wd, and it too has a low level radial divider in the soda-can resivior. pulled the screen and probed it. iirc, same one on my 84
Old 08-30-2015, 06:08 AM

go out and probe yours if you don't belive me.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:42 AM

Red face

Mine does not have any brand new never been used!!
Old 08-30-2015, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay so I pulled the rear brakes found on Wheel cylinder leaking changed i t and the shoes adjusted the rear brakes to the point that they were draging slightly rebleed the system still no brakes also noticed were the mc and booster meet a slight leak which makes sense since when I press the brakes while truck is running the engine studders and pedal has no resistance/bearing force just goes to the floor I might try buying another LSPV or buy a manual one from summit also I have gone through about 1 1/2 quarts of brake fluid

Last edited by 87toy pickup; 08-30-2015 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:26 PM

Red face

It is still possible you have a connection drawing in air.

It is possible in the course of the last owner messing with the master cylinder some how the length of the push rod some how got out of adjustment .

Since you say you have a gap between the booster and the Master Cylinder this could very well be the problem

Even with air being drawn in pressure should build when the pedal is pumped it just won`t hold very long.

It is also possible you got the wrong or a defective Master cylinder out of the box as of late it seems to happen all to often

Quick Reply: Brake issue Help