Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Boiling Coolant but not overheating?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boiling Coolant but not overheating?

Hi All, I've been lurking around trying to find an answer to this problem. Decided I'd ask for some help. I'm a newbie to car mechanics, but trying to learn. I recently bought a 1990 22re. The truck started overheating shortly after I bought it.

I replaced the thermostat and leaky radiator, figuring it was probably a stuck thermostat. Then I noticed that coolant was leaking out of the cap on the new radiator, so replaced that too. The truck heats up in a few minutes to just below half way on the temp gauge now, but when I turn it off and listen to the radiator, I hear a gurgling sound. Also, I occasionally catch a whiff of coolant from inside the vehicle when I'm driving it.

Just to be safe, I ran a block test on it. Did not find combustion products in the radiator.. so I think it's not related to a HG leak.. also when I start it with the radiator cap off, the coolant floods out the neck of the radiator, but there are no bubbles present.

Also I read that a broken timing chain tensioner can cause the engine to heat up quickly. The engine makes a ticking noise anyway, so I figured I should pull off the valve cover and check that as well. Some grime underneath the valve cover, but otherwise the plastic tensioners were still in-tact and the chain was not loose.

So I'm thinking the engine is OK mechanically, but I still don't know what to do about the gurgling sound. Could this be related to a "burping" problem? I'm stuck on what to check next.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:16 AM

Coolant smell inside cab is probably the heater core leaking or loose hoses that are close to the firewall. Gurgling noises could be air trapped the radiator, you should try getting that out, it maybe comming from the leaky heater core. Ticking noises welcome to the club.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by sechott
Coolant smell inside cab is probably the heater core leaking or loose hoses that are close to the firewall. Gurgling noises could be air trapped the radiator, you should try getting that out, it maybe comming from the leaky heater core. Ticking noises welcome to the club.
Thank you, I will have a look at the heater core.

While I had the valve cover off, I noticed that the gasket on the top/inside part of the cover is badly degrading. Should I worry about replacing this? It crumbles to the touch, but I didn't get a new one with the valve cover gasket kit I bought.. and I can't even find the place to buy it.

Last edited by iquizzle; 08-11-2012 at 12:50 PM.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So when you start the engine with the radiator cap off, coolant slowly pours out as it heats up or as soon as you start it coolant rushes out. If coolant rushes out when you first start it, that is hydrocarbons pushing the coolant out. Sometimes those block testers don't really work all that well which is why most shops don't use them and use a 5 gas analyzer to test for hydrocarbons in the coolant.

Gurgling noises can be caused from low coolant or air in the heater core.
Try to feel the lower radiator hose and upper hose and see if they are about the same temp, if the lower hose is still cold, then you probably have air in the system still, also another way I have used to find air in the system is if I stick my hand behind the fan and feel cooler air blowing then that is an indication, if it is warm air, then you are good.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:57 PM

It doesn't flood out the top of the radiator until the engine warms up.. so I believe it's just flooding when the thermostat opens and there's no pressure (because the cap is off) to push it into the overflow.

I think you're right and I'm just having a hard time getting the air out of the system.