Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Body lift question

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Body lift question

Hi All,

I don't know much about body lifts, as I'm not a big fan of them. However, the previous owner told me along with the suspension lift, he put a 3 inch body lift on the truck (He also wouldn't know a spark plug from a butt plug, and has been wrong about many things in regards to the truck).

Anyway, I'm going down a tire size from 35 to 33, and figure I should have the shop remove the body lift while I'm at it. This is a fairly simple process right? They just remove the pucks and that's it? Or will they have to throw some stock parts back on there? Ballpark what can I expect to be charged for that?

Last newb question (I'd rather look dumb in front of you guys than the shop) - I'm attaching a pic of what I assume is the puck producing the body lift. That is in fact a body lift right? I just can't trust anything the previous owner has told me, and like I mentioned I personally don't know much about these lifts.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:57 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
the "puck" in your image is the body mount bushing, not the lift block. it's this part on the top side of the mounting plate:

if you have a 3" BL it may not be quite as simple as just removing the pucks - for a tall lift like this there should have been other stuff to raise/lift some other components. look for alterations on your: steering shaft, radiator fan shroud, shifters for trans and tcase, and your f/r bumpers mounting.

they'll likely need new hardware in stock length.

figure they're going to just charge you hours to do the labor. i'd assume it will be several.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:23 PM

Thanks for the reply!

Ok, here's a new pic... I see what you are talking about now. That upper most bushing.

I do not believe any modifications were made to the fan shroud, steering shaft, or anything else. I'll take it to the shop I'm getting my tires from and see what they say. I just think the current lift will be too big if I drop a tire size, and I see no real benefit to a body lift in my situation.

Old 09-17-2015, 05:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i've never been a fan of body lifts. al you get is some tire clearance(zero ground clearance) and a whole lot of frame hanging out for everyone to see. i fit 32.5's at stock height, so i don't see why 33's shouldn't fit with a suspension lift.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You didn't mention what truck generation you have. Just suggesting you confirm you have enough suspension lift before pulling the body lift pucks out.

If you have a pre-90 truck you may want to order 4crawler's 1" block first and have it ready to swap in. The extra inch helped with my 88 that only has 1.5" bj spacers. 33s fit easier after 89.

The 1" is kinda like loosening your belt a notch after big Christmas dinner. Just a bit of breathing room but still unnoticeable visually. But a 3" block is just a lame shortcut for doing something right.

You may also want to replace those body bushings and hardware too while you're in there. Depends on your intent with the truck of course.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:07 AM

Yeah, should've mentioned it's a 92 Pickup. 5" suspension lift to go along with that 3" body lift I'm trying to get rid of.

Good idea on replacing the body bushings while I'm at it. I assume this is the set I want? - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/en...a/model/pickup