Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Blown Headgasket - 22RE Engine Builders in Western WA?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blown Headgasket - 22RE Engine Builders in Western WA?

So I'm mostly a newb/lurker on here, but looking for some advice-

I've got a 87 4runner with a stock reman 22RE that was installed by the PO, now has 50k on it. Just blew out the headgasket bad over the weekend- pulled over off the highway within 10 seconds, with a cloud of white smoke behind me, and the coolant pressure relief cap pissing all over the engine.

0-20psi compression on the first two cylinders and coolant on the plugs tips. 150ish PSI (checked cold) on the back two cylinders and dry plugs. Drained coolant and oil and they are not too cross-contaminated, likely because the truck ran only a few seconds after it blew. Pulled the valve cover and got coolant pooled up there.

Taking a poll of the options I'm considering:

A) Attempting the head gasket replacement myself, but not sure I'm up for the task, without a covered garage, and no overhaul experience.

B) Have my local shop go in and replace the gasket, $800 with labor. Not sure what the issue was that caused the blowout, but dont want to do this again in 50k, on the off chance some defect with my current block or head is going to go unnoticed on the gasket replacement, and cause it to happen again.

C) Have a new rebuilt motor installed by this local shop that advertises on craigslist for $2k out the door, installed and with a 5yr, 60k warrantee, PLUS free towing from my house 100miles away. A little sketched out by the relative unknown of a small shop, but nice to deal locally rather than buy a motor shipped from another state. talked to the dude for a while and he talks a pretty good game, but still not totally sure.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/pts/2318399079.html

D) Anyone know of any reputable engine builders in the Seattle area?

Thanks in advance for any advice...
Old 04-12-2011, 03:16 PM

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
considering the CL ad is flagged for removal, cross off that one. I say do the HG yourself. There are enough resources here you can do it no problem.

Or ask if someone near you wants to take the job on. I know a couple very capable folks in your area. I ask Vital22re to help me out on a regular basis. My benefit is having a covered garage, I can see how that would suck.

nice looking rig, btw

Last edited by kiyobrown; 04-12-2011 at 03:17 PM.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by kiyobrown
considering the CL ad is flagged for removal, cross off that one.
Ha, yeah, interesting. Could be that someone flagged his listing since a commercial shop shouldnt be posting on craigs. Anyway, yeah, a small shop without even a basic company website smells a little bad if I'm gonna drop $2k on it.

Looks like another western WA dude in a similar situation, but with a higher budget I think. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116.../#post51700533. DOA and LC Engineering are out of my price range.. and if this is true then I'm not super stoked on LCs warrantee. http://www.blowsand.com/truck/lclemon.htm

I'm considering 22REperformance or Sunwest based on a little more looking around. How do you like what you got from Sunwest? I'd just rather deal locally(ish) if possible, and could drive over to Spokane in a loaner to pick up a motor.

Still considering a rebuild myself, but not sure I have the time/skill to do it right. Good to know there are folks in the area I might be able to get a hand from if going that route.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:14 PM

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
the one I have is great. good motor. The problems I am having are from a stuck egr, and a couple sensors out of spec. Not their fault at all. The long block has been superb.

And the motor was freighted over, they will send it to a local company for you to pick up there to save you a couple bucks, instead of fedex to your door for the price of the motor.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:51 PM

If you are still considering a rebuild, consider Z-Sport, they are up in Everett, they have been in business since the 70's. I had a 22re rebuild done there early this year, and am very satisfied with their customer service, and the job done.

My rebuild cost me just under $4,000, and I got my truck back in less than a week. They also did a multi point inspection before starting the job to be sure there won't be any other unknown problems that could lead to future repairs, or warranty issues.

I have no financial interest in this company, just a very satisfied customer.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:35 AM

if you want a good mechanic..

Crosson's auto repair in lake stevens..
425 334 2024.

its the ONLY place that I will ever take my cars to. a family friend, Charlie, is the owner and he is helping me out with my truck right now. if you want advice ask for Chris or Charlie and they will help out
Old 04-14-2011, 02:35 PM

One needs to be extreamly carefull when dealing with craigslist. You can find yourself in the middle of a nighmare fairly easily.

I rebuild 22R/22RE engines and advertise them as well as installation in the Seattle CL but I still would say to go with someone who is recommended to you by a friend who has had personal experience with the shop.

Most likely the machine work on your engine was at least ok. However there seems to be a 30-50K barrier most aftermarket Headgaskets can't seem to cross.

Every situation is different but I would guess there is more damage than you might want to hope for.

Mike at Sunwest is an extreamly stand up guy with high standards. The 150.00 round trip cost for the core isn't worth driving over there In my opinion.

As for shops. This is my opinion, others may very.

Most shops see lots of different cars. These Toyotas are getting old and less common so personal experience of the mechanic working on your Toyota may be less than desired.

And finally, the average install price through a shop is extreamly expensive in my opinion.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:42 AM

Thanks for the input. I've had both good and bad craigslist experiences... definitely good to approach with caution, but sometimes it can work out just fine.

Just ordered up a 22RE from Mike at Sunwest. Got the "supreme" comes with an RV cam, new head casting, and metal chain guides, at about $1350. Opted to just pay the freight rather than drive over there, practically cheaper than the gas right now.

They've gotten pretty good reviews from a number of people, build a lot of these, and seem to know their stuff. Will post more after installed.